YHA Coniston Holly How
Waterhead Hotel(Coniston)
  • Restaurant
Monk Coniston(Coniston)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsself catering kitchenyouth hosteldrying roombed dormfew minutes walkwonderful surroundingsold manfamily roomstayed here for one nightpubs and restaurantsbeautiful locationvillage centreexcellent stayan evening mealglenfacilitieslounge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had such a lovely week being in Coniston with my university course. Food was amazing, bed was comfy, showers were warm (: makes a change from my halls! In such a beautiful area of England where there is so much to do. The staff were so kind and friendly...and have great taste in clothes (; definitely going back! Thank you for looking after us all (:

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
YHAConiston, Manager at YHA Coniston Holly How, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thanks for your review. We love having universities to stay with us and our reputation for great food, great staff and a warm welcome means that it is a winning forumula. Please come again!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night on saturday and booked last minute on saturday afternoon
when I arrived the reception staff were friendly and helpful and told me all i needed to know
as I have stayed at youth hostels before I knew how things work and what to do.

I ordered a packed lunch for the following morning and was given as choice and the choice explained to me.

the rooms are standard rooms with bunkbeds as are other youth hostels and they were clean and tidy.

a couple of minor issues - the self catering kitchen could be better there were cobwebs on the windows and dirt on the tiles underneath the tops
also I had to wait for a while to get a drink as there was nobody at the bar, however when they saw me waiting they came straight over to serve me

the breakfast was o.k and decent portion size and my packed lunch was brought to me at the table.

lots of information and a weather forecast on the notice boards

overall a good stay and only a few minutes walk from coniston village centre.

ideal location for walking the fells including the old man of coniston.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Good points are that the hostel is a short walk to Coniston, there is lots of information available on the area to read and posters and short walk info etc, they have a small shop a bar and great communall areas (big lounge, bar and tv room). I would definitely recommend staying here and will most probably stay here again. Small things we were disappointed with were problems with the showers, lying water in the self catering kitchen (which i should have mentioned had lots of equipment and was a nice big size as we cooked and ate at the same time as a family of 6!!), the rooms were a bit cold and the lounge had a very slight damp smell to it.

The last issue is that they are currently trialing letting dogs stay which is fab for us as we would not have stayed here (coming to the Lake District without the dog is not an option!!) if they didn't. But you can only stay in one room which was room 9. We have a well behaved spaniel and we have a medium sized crate for him. This takes up half the floor space and with the cot for our 9 month old baby taking up the rest of the space it was a little bit cosy in there!!

There seems to be more bad points than good points but really that isn't the case as it's great and the bad points were minor really. Oh and breakfast - there's loads of food, a friendly atmosphere and very tasty.

Room Tip: Room 9 for dog owners
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived in pouring rain after a long drive for our first stay in a hostel since a very bad experience at YHA Glossop several years ago.

The car park is small but there were spaces when we arrived for a 5pm check in. There is quite a long walk from the car park to the hostel although you can drive up to unload if you need to.

The lady who welcomed us was very warm and friendly and our room was already made up, clean and tidy and had a cot in it. Although we had asked for a family room instead we had an eight room without a sink but the toilets and showers were just around the corner so this was not a problem.

We were told we could book meals on arrival but when the lady who welcomed us asked the Chef he was rather abrupt with her. However she still took an order for later that evening (six is quite a lot). If we were going again I would email our order in advance, since there is no direct line advertised to pre-order meals.

The dining room was very clean and neat and our food when it arrived was absolutely delicious. The girls were delighted with their dinner plate sized pizzas and my fussy eater was allowed a mini portion of an adult meal, all on the kids eat free deal. The baby was just given an empty plate which we filled with pieces from our meals and still ate till we were full.

Puddings were also lovely and again an empty bowl was provided for the baby. Water was free in jugs on the table and the food was brought to us and cleared up for us. Absolutely fantastic service considering the great value.

Breakfast was self service but also delicious, although my husband was slightly upset that he was not allowed mushrooms because they were the vegetarian option.

Although the toilets were not as clean as I would have hoped for the mattresses were very comfortable and all in all we had a very good stay. However it was the friendly service and delicious food that really made this a recommended hostel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank alicemiracelchick
YHAConiston, Manager at YHA Coniston Holly How, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and especially the food. Being a mainly groups hostel during term time, in the holidays, we use our larger rooms as family rooms too - which children love because there is plenty of space to run around.

We're sorry the toilets weren't quite as clean as perhaps they should be - we have a sign in each one asking guests to let us know as soon as possible as we will put it right on the spot.

The kitchen staff have been working flat out recently so I apologise - they are a bit tired - but the proof is in the pudding so to speak - as our food which is mainly homemade, is very popular - especially the homemade chips!

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great hostel with most comfortable beds I've had in a hostel, food was very good (especially their home made chips), staff were very good and friendly, if went back to the area would definitely look for this hostel again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
YHAConiston, Manager at YHA Coniston Holly How, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thanks for your review Ben. Word is getting around about our homemade chips!
We look forward to seeing you again sometime!