“Highly Recommended”

Tarantella Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 73 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tarantella is an elegant restaurant serving fresh modern Italian style cuisine with Italian beer on tap, cocktails and a wide range of quality wines.We are child friendly and we can also accommodate large groups for business or pleasure. We are OPEN DAILY from 12-2:30pm for lunch and 5pm till late for evening dining.
Leicestershire
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and i plus 9 year old were visiting Cockermouth for 4 days. On the Monday afternoon we wandered through the town looking at menus and debating where to eat. Tarantella was still open for the afternoon trade and we popped in to look at the menu. The Manager was friendly enough but when i asked if we should book he laughed and said "YES!". I thought he must be joking as i doubted very much that they would be full on a Monday.

How wrong i was! As we sat down in the bustling restaurant i must have seen over twenty people turned away because the place was fully booked. Following our experience it is easy to understand why.

Firstly the atmosphere- Modern decor, clean and vibrant. It is an atmosphere that would suit either a family OR a romantic meal. The customers were a mix of very well dressed parties , tourists , couples and single businessmen. The Manager is very friendly and lead us directly to our table having recognised us from the afternoon. The staff are very smartly dressed, friendly and attentive. They do not stand over you but always seem to be available when you need something.

We enjoyed a couple of starters between us. Garlic bread was very tasty and the olives were delicious served with a lovely olive bread that could be dipped into the oil around the olives. We tried a bottle of house white Pinot Grigio which was quite nice at approx £17 per bottle.

The main meals were delicious. Our young one enjoyed a seafood marinara pizza with squid , prawns and scallops ( They had no problem cooking without the anchovies) It looked and tasted superb.

I enjoyed a marinara linguini. The rich tomato sauce and lovely seafood were a real delight and i have to admit i was sorry when it was finished. The squid in particular was the star of this dish.My wife enjoyed a spicier dish with pasta tubes and spicy Italian sausage. She loved it.

We had not intended to stay for sweets but the atmosphere was so relaxing that we ordered more wine and enjoyed some delicious treats.

We promised to return on our next visit and enjoyed a quite walk along the river following a superb meal. I hope this helps tourists who are looking for a decent experience. We have had plenty of poor meals in Cockermouth so at last here was somewhere we could really enjoy. I hope they can keep this consistency up.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank David M

Cleveland OH
“Appealing ambience, good but not great food”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at Tarantella last week. We liked the look of this small restaurant very much, and the people there were extremely friendly and eager to please. The food was good, but frankly not up to our high expectations (for instance, my wife's salad greens were not as fresh as they could have been). Judging from the other reviews, I suspect we simply hit a couple of bumps from what is probably an extremely good restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank AlanR729
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good honest Italian”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our son loved this place so much he persuaded us to go, he was right. Interesting menu and all our food was very good.

Visited July 2013
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We called in on a busy Saturday evening and whilst we hadn't booked, a table was found for us.
The restuarant is clean and modern and there is a good menu selection for both food and wine.
There was a great atmosphere, as busy as it was we also felt we could have the intimate meal we wanted too.
The service is faultless. Staff are well presented and professional, attentive without being intrusive.
I asked for an alteration to my dish which was accepted without any discussion.
The food was absolutely gorgeous. I had the chicken and chorizo in a creamy sauce (and asked for chilli flakes to be added), the sauce was diving, the chorizo bursting with flavour and the chicken was melt in the mouth! My boyfriend had the calzone which he loved too.
All in all, a great meal in lovely surroundings with great staff.

2 Thank Ilsa76
Faversham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food &service”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We ate here twice during our 3 night stay in the town. The food was lovely especially the Risotto primavera. the service e was friendly and efficient.

Visited July 2013