“Fantastic food”

Quince & Medlar
Ranked #4 of 73 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Cumbria
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

As a surprise for my birthday my husdand took me to Quince & Medlar. We are not vegetarians but do sometimes pick the vegetarian option in restaurants but have never been to a vegetarian restaurant. The food was really good and full of flavours and a surprisingly good choice on the menu. The service was exceptional so we will definitely go back.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank EPMG

York, United Kingdom
“Good for veggies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband liked the food here: he's veggie and he enjoyed his food. I'm not veggie, although I eat veggie most of the time. Enjoyed my starter: chicory, pine nuts & Stilton sauce but found my main course tasteless & uninteresting; buckwheat Filofax parcels. My husband was happy as he finished it off. For dedicated veggies only!

Visited November 2013
CUMBRIA
“A refreshing change from 'steak & chips'...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Booked a table to take my partner, as a 'first anniversary' suprise.....the surprise being that we're usually devout carnivores!
Anyway....on arrival shown into the sitting room where we perused the menu over a glass of the Sicilian house red, which incidentally was superb. A small complimentary plate of hors d'oeuvres was provided aswell.
Six or seven starters to choose from, and a similar number of mains, maybe doesn't sound much but we were both torn over the decision!
We opted for a wasabi/ beetroot based starter, and a fig based....both turned out to be delicious and flavoursome, reasonable portions.
Mains were a cheese/polenta nest with wild mushrooms, a side of seasonal veg, and a filo parcel of buckwheat, capers olives & pesto with roasted red peppers, again with veg. Plus 2 garlic bread rolls.
Clean plates all around.
Selection of desserts....opted for hot banana cake with vanilla sauce ( sort of watery custard!) very nice.
Rounded off with a shared cheese board. And more wine.
All in all very nice indeed, though £80 was perhaps just a little bit on the steep side.
Nevertheless, I'm sure we'll make a return visit when we feel the need for a refreshing change.

• Visited November 2013
Elgin, Scotland, United Kingdom
“vegetarian food at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

On a four night stay near Keswick we went to the Quince and Medlar twice as its menu was so interesting and completely vegetarian. All the dishes are unique in tastes, textures and combinations of ingredients which work well together, so even on two consecutive nights it was a different dining experience each night. It is a relatively small restaurant so booking is essential, the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. For our stay near Keswick eating at the Quince and Medlar was a must, and as much part of the holiday as any visit to a tourist attraction or historic town.

• Visited October 2013
Cove, Argyll, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent high quality vegetarian restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

The whole experience of dining in this restaurant was delightful from beginning to end. The very warm welcome we received, the general ambience of the place with the warm red walls and the flickering fire, the comfortable chairs in the lounge where we relaxed with a glass of wine while choosing from the menu, the friendly chat as we were shown to our table, nothing could be faulted. The menu was original and very different - not dishes I would normally serve or cook at home, and therefore exciting to choose from and be adventurous with. The starter was absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious - warm figs with ginger cream cheese and nuts on top, cashews, I think. It still makes my mouth water to remember it now. The main course was creamed celeriac, lentils and celery served on a half beef tomato, if I remember it correctly, served with a side plate of four vegetables cooked to perfection - carrot, cauliflower with cheese sauce, grated beetroot and a single potato. The portions were not 'chicken and chips in a basket' size, but not nouveau cuisine 'miniatures' either. I found both the size and my chosen dish to be well nigh perfect. We shared a dessert which was a pot of chilled white chocolate, and then retired to the lounge again to have coffee and home-made chocolates. The entire experience was really wonderful from beginning to end, and a dining-out experience that I shall remember for a long time. I was just a visitor to Cockermouth but I would go out of my way to eat at this restaurant again if I ever have the opportunity. Don't hesitate - book your table now.

• Visited October 2013