“Utterly Delightful”

Rose Cottage Guest House
Rose Cottage Guest House
Ranked #4 of 16 Cockermouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My partner and I chose a two night Groupon deal and provided Susan with the Groupon code and security code in advance of our stay. We were a little concerned after reading a comment about another couples issue but we found to the contrary.
We arrived to a lovely warm welcome from both our hosts, our room was small but perfect for our needs and everywhere was immaculately clean. The breakfast room was charming and the breakfasts were beautifully cooked. Our hosts, particularly Susan were very helpful with activity suggestions and warned us about the road works in Cockermouth town. We chose to walk into Cockermouth ( only took approx 10 mins). There are plenty of places to eat but most only seem to open from Tuesday to Saturday. The Indian and Chinese restaurants are open every day ( we don't recommend the Bamboo Chinese restaurant though ). We highly recommend this lovely cottage and look forward to visiting again; however, it appears the cottage is for sale and that may not be possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 10 on the ground floor. It consisted of a double bed and en suite shower room. Ver...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cdv3
Susan G, Owner at Rose Cottage Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Many thanks for the very nice comments - wish we had known about the radiator, it is an old house sometimes subject to air-locks - a problem which is easily fixed.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night using a Groupon voucher. It was a very nice place with a comfortable yet small room. The breakfast room was lovely and the food was nicely cooked and good quality. We had a good evening meal at the Bitter End. We had never been to cocker mouth before and thought it was a lovely town. Only complaint about the guest house relates to the pillows new ones needed!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samanjeni

We were very pleased to read such nice comments - sorry about the size of the room, we are a 'cottage' and I wish I had known about the pillows - we have a plentiful supply and they could certainly have been changed as they now have been.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I don't normally complain about hotels, but I felt I had to having left Rose Cottage. My boyfriend and I hardly get the chance to go away due to different shift patterns and he surprised me by taking me away for the weekend. Upon arrival, the gentleman was lovely. It was quite late, but he made us feel really welcome and was very chatty. Our room, although on the small side was just what we wanted . . Lovely comfy bed and all the amenities you would usually find in a hotel. The shower pressure wasn't the best, but that didn't really matter as it was constantly hot. I couldn't fault anything until we checked out and the lady owner tried charging my boyfriend £60. He had booked through Groupon and had a voucher code. She was quite rude and would talk over my boyfriend when he tried to explain he had the voucher details. This completely ruined our stay as we were made out to be liars and were trying to be ripped off even though my boyfriend was more than happy to show her the voucher. I stood their in utter shock and embarrassed. What really annoys me if that manners do not cost a thing and I felt so let down especially as we received such a lovely welcome. Do not run a Bed & Breakfast if you can't provide the service to go with it!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Emmie C
Susan G, Owner at Rose Cottage Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

How surprised and disappointed we were to receive this revue. No accommodation provider would wish to read such scathing and personal comments especially those based on such a sketchy recollection of events!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Although there is no fitness center or swimming pool, if you're looking for a cozy place to chill, this is the place. If you dig a nice homey friendly sort of place it's right there. They make the BEST FREAKING BACON AND EGGS. I joke not. If you want quality and comfort, Rose Cottage is the best place to go.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Holly G
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have visited cockermouth on several occasions as we love the town,and love visiting our relatives.Cockermouth is a hidden haunt,well worth a visit.Great base for walking in the west lakes. Lovely friendly people .However we have to say we were very disappointed in the hospitality we received from
the owners who were not at all welcoming to say they had been in the business for many years.They were not at all curious about us as customers.they appeared ill at ease,not at all what you would expect.The room we had was very clean ,extremely small and in our opinion well in need of a refurbish.the decor was very dated and tired.We felt also that it lacked personal detail and finish.i.e.no shampoo,cleansing pads,only one small soap to share at,no tissues.we felt the room smelt stale,also we could not receive a signal on our ipad or phone !!!!!.we were never asked if everything was o.k. Until we were leaving.!!!The shower was very poor and difficult to control .either too hot or too cold. The break fast was pretty average,and "safe'".It was freshly cooked but could have been much more tasty if more imagination was used,i.e.varied menu better use of localproduce like sausages,and freshly baked bread.There was a great lack of information about the area.We will definitely visit the area again but not rose cottage.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Keithatthegrove

This review actually made me cry! This couple were so unhappy with us that they apparently stayed two nights, struggled to eat the 'boring' breakfast and forgot to ask for the FREE WiFi password (mobile signal is out of our control) .
We are very sorry that our home is a cottage and decorated as such - to be honest I think that such a personal attack on my personality, my taste in decor and my home, on a meeting of less than two days, is totally unacceptable especially when non of these things were mentioned at the time. I feel it says much more about this couple than it says about us.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We are a group of mature bikers who regularly tour UK. My wife and I can can highly recommend Rose Cottage to bikers and all! First class accommodation, immaculately clean, wonderful breakfast and a friendly welcome at a competitive rate. What more could you ask for? Thanks for a great stay!

Regards Phil and Ursh

On behalf of First York bikers

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We are a party of mature bikers who love to tour the wonderful country roads of the UK. Biker friendly places like Rose Cottage are a big bonus for us! Highly recommended ! Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2013