“Just needs a bit of organisation”

Shill's of Cockermouth
Ranked #9 of 74 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Cuisines: Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We have visited Shill's for as long as it has been in Cockermouth. We have watched it grown into the place it is now which is exactly what the area needs, the shop and products are very warming to peruse and choose and the staff in that department are fabulous. We ave now been twice for a lunch and on both occasions have been a little disappointed with the service. The food to be fair is great and there is no issues with that, also the staff are helpful and keen, it's just that they seem a little disorganised and the wait is just not good. Knowing the determination of the owners I feel assured they will resolve this quickly and bet this place will rocket to a well deserved no 1 spot.

3  Thank MULCASTER2

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have been a long term customer at shills. I have fond memories of the wine tastings in the original shop. It was there that I truly learnt the importance of wine and good combinations. Nick and Wendy are truly warm people, who know their subject intensely. It is a pleasure dealing with them. I think the new premises take the experience to a new level. The products have got even better and more diverse in the deli, and the restaurant upstairs (whilst I don't get to it enough) is fabulous. If you are considering a visit and don't know the place.... Go. Engage the staff, they are all brilliant. Go with a view to relaxation. There are a couple of the staff in there that nick and Wendy have been training for a number of years and they are excellent in terms of building relationships and understanding individual tastes and the products that suit. We have had many excellent recommendations from them. As I say, shills have made cockermouth a better place. Enjoy it

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Being local and having used Shills over the years when they were at there previous premises, I was excited to learn that they had moved to bigger premises and opened a cafe too. However, 10days before christmas I went in to place an order for some cheese for a hamper for my husband's boss. My order was taken by a young girl behind the counter and I was told it would be in two days later. When I returned the following day to pick up my order, the same young girl struggled to find the order then told me that she had mistakenly sold it to a different lady!! I was annoyed to say the lease but was more surprised by the fact that both owners were on the shop floor, obviously aware of what had happened but avoided eye contact and busied themselves so as to avoid 'dealing' with the mess-up. I now go elsewhere for my cheese!!

5  Thank Nicola0269
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I have visited shills on several occasions since it opened, iv had lunch here several times, each time trying something different from the menu, all equally as tasty and well presented. Hence I decided to book Shills for our works Christmas evening out, it was all I expected and more, fabulous cocktails ( as good as iv had in high class cocktail bars in Manchester!) great selection of tasty tapas and the wine and service we received were fantastic! Cannot wait to organise another visit!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We were quite looking forward to visiting Shills, knowing that it was a deli and wine merchants, expecting big things from both, however we were sorely disappointed. My wife's friend ordered the cheese platter after a very long wait for service and we all marvelled at how sad it looked. More of the cheese was hard and stale than was edible. This was pointed out to the wiatress who told us that it was what happened when cheese was kept in cloth.....clearly 50% of the cheese should not have been in that condition, cloth or no cloth but she wasn't to be argued with. The meat patter was better but not particualrly special. The wine was the biggest disappointent being quite unpleasant and harsh. Overall it's hard to recommend much here.....perhaps we should have opted for the Tapas. Maybe next time if we go back.

5  Thank peter g