“Lovely Cottage and Great Hosts”
other travelers have booked this property
Front view of cottage
Front view of cottage Cosy lounge
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Cosy lounge
Cosy Lounge
Log Burner alight.
Wall View
The Log Burner on Full Coal, Real hot!
Bedroom
Bedroom
Newly fitted Double shower in Revamped Bathroom
Newly fitted Kitchen
Rear area, however, tree no longer there.
View from front of cottage
Sunset over Allonby beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

German first
Any
Steven P
“Lovely Cottage and Great Hosts”
Reviewed April 22, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

A really nice cottage in a great location. Short drives to Cockermouth and Keswick. Chris and Christine were really welcoming and helpful, the cottage was spotless and had everything we needed when we were there.

Apr 23, 2018
Stephen, it was our pleasure to have you and Jodie stay for a few days at Stable cottage. Hopefully, you managed to recharge your batteries. Thanks for your kind review and thanks also for leaving the cottage neat and tidy on your departure. We hope to see you again soon for a return visit.
davidmern...
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Very nice romantic getaway.”
Reviewed April 9, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

Was a lovely cottage in a good location to get to all the sights you want to see. A lovely local pub was in near by gilcrux called the masons arms very nice and also dog friendly just like the cottage which is a big plus. The only thing to mention is the heating isn't great but that was taken care of by our lovely hosts when they gave two plug in heaters which were set up already. The fire once it gets going was lovely and cosy. Very good value for money and lovey hosts.

Apr 23, 2018
David, it was our pleasure to have you and Jerri and your lovely dog stay with us at Stable Cottage recently. We hope you enjoyed your stay, if a little chilly. We acknowledge that the cottage can be a little chilly on colder days as our central heating system, although fairly new isn't as efficient in the cottage, the radiator in there being the last on the system. To that end, we installed the very efficient log burner, with sufficient fuel for your stay and the two free standing heaters, which can be used at your convenience. Thanks very much for leaving the cottage neat and tidy on your departure. We hope you will return again sometime in the future when the weather might hopefully be a little warmer.
Kate C
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
“Mrs”
Reviewed April 9, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

My husband, dog and I are currently enjoying our 2nd night of 3 at Stable Cottage. It’s a wonderful and cosy, the log fire really warms you up after a day out walking. It is in a great location, plenty of local walks nearby and a great pub called the Masons that does delicious food. The cottage has everything you need, the kitchen is well equipped, smart TV with Netflix, V.good WiFi, log fire, comfy bed, washing machine, nice bathroom, private garden and off road parking. Our hosts Chris and Chrissy have been great, really friendly and our welcome pack included wine, cheese, milk, butter, dog treats and home made cake, chutney and jam. There are lots of little things like walking guides, binoculars, fresh towels etc...that have made our weekend really easy. We would definitely recommend.

Apr 11, 2018
Kate, thanks for your kind words, it was an absolute pleasure to have you and Luke stay at Stable Cottage recently. Glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for leaving the cottage neat and tidy on your departure. You are more than welcome to return anytime. Good luck for the future when baby arrives and tell Luke to keep up the singing..,..he has a good voice!! x
BLRaynee
“Home from home”
Reviewed February 25, 2018 for a stay in February 2018

We had the loveliest welcome from the host despite arriving late in the evening.
We were welcomed with a hamper filled with hand made food items and a bottle of wine.
The shower was very powerful, comfy bed, well equipped kitchen and a lovely outside area to sit or let dogs out.
Can’t wait to return soon!

Mar 1, 2018
Beverley and Kristy, it was a pleasure to have you stay at Stable Cottage recently. You certainly had a good couple of days before The Beast From The East set in! Thanks for leaving the cottage so immaculate on your departure. You are both more than welcome to return again anytime. Regards. Christine
Herwig D
“The perfect getaway to recharge your batterys”
Reviewed February 14, 2018 for a stay in February 2018

We loved your little cottage so peaceful and cosy with everything we needed. Ideal location for exploring the beaches and lakes so the best of both worlds for us. Christine and Chris are very friendly and made us feel so welcome, and the homemade goodies were a lovely touch...Many thanks for that. Also the local pub the Mason Arms did excellent food which was great value for money and even better we got 10% from the bill. Great place will definatly be back.

Feb 19, 2018
Thanks Michelle and Herwig for your kind words. It was an absolute pleasure to have you at Stable Cottage recently, so glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments about your meals, to Mike and Nadine at the Masons Arms, they will be delighted. Thanks so very much for leaving the cottage so immaculate on your departure. You are more than welcome to return any time. Many thanks again. Christine and Chris.
b0bbyp10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely cosy cottage”
Reviewed November 4, 2017 for a stay in November 2017

Lovely cottage with a nice homely feel. Lovely welcome pack and very welcoming hosts. Nice retreat out of the way cottage very well equipped any cosy nights in .

Dec 7, 2017
Thank you Robert for your kind review.It was our pleasure to have you stay at Stable Cottage recently and we hope you enjoyed you stay.You are most welcome to return anytime.
Regards, Christine
Sarahkken
“Time away”
Reviewed October 7, 2017 for a stay in October 2017

I decided to book this little cottage after reading the reviews and seeing the pictures. It sounded perfect for us and our little dog. We found it really easy using a sat nav but do be aware it's off the beaten track so really small roads leading up to it, approach slowly as your not aware what's coming around the bends. Was warmly greeted by christine and a nice welcome pack. The cottage is really well equipped and has everything you would need for your stay including some useful books and leaflets of the area. The cottage was clean enough, a few cobwebs here and there and a damp patch behind the sofa. The stairs are as described, even I had trouble getting up and down steadily and am 34!! Plus my dog did try to follow me up and fell down them so had to block them with a chair to stop him investigating. Maybe a stair Gate might be a idea for doggy guests. The garden is to a degree fenced off bar a little side bit along the cottage which just had a bin blocking it which my dog did try to get by so unfortunately we had to make sure we took him out on his lead so he didn't get out. There is parking but only a little bit of a muddy verge with only room for 3 cars and unfortunately on one occasion when we got back after a long day they were all taken and we had no where to park. We had to bump it up into the hedge to fit off the road. It would be nice if guest could use the driveway of the owners instead so this didn't happen again. We also got woken up twice in a row to hammering and drilling as the owners were having building work done, so not so much as a romantic get away. As we left there was no one around to give the key to so had to post it through the letter box. All in all I was a little bit disappointed as I was looking forward to our stay and my week off work.

Dec 7, 2017
Thanks Sarah for your review. Apologies for the late reply, but we have been in Australia visiting family and only arrived home this week. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and I will try to address your issues individually.
Cobwebs.....any house in the area will have cobwebs, they seem to appear overnight. My husband and I share the cleaning of the cottage and clean thoroughly between each guest, even if that guest has only stayed a couple of nights. Cobwebs will appear in the best regulated house.
Damp patch....we too have noticed this and have asked our builder to investigate. He is of the opinion that it is not damp, but condensation caused by the furniture being so close to the wall and having stone floors and walls. If there had been a damp problem, this would have been rectified by said builder.
Stairs....yes we agree the stairs are very steep and we point this out in our write up. I also make a point of bringing this to guests attention on arrival. Short of redesigning the whole holiday cottage, I'm not sure what else can be done.The cottage is how it is and is how it was when we bought the property.
Enclosed rear garden.....yes the garden is fully enclosed. Then 'bin' you refer to is the ash bin for the log burner ashes and was placed where you saw it by other guests. We normally have a gate blocking off our garden area from the holiday cottage garden but this has been temporarily removed by the builders, but still blocked off by other means. We too have a small dog, very inquisitive dog, who try as he might, cannot get through the temporary barrier.
Parking....I agree, parking has become a bit of an issue recently.The parking for guests is in the lay by at the side of the cottage , as stated in our write up. Recently, problems have arisen with the arrival of a new family to the cottages opposite our house, who park 4 of their 5 cars in this lay by too.My husband and myself, along with other residents have spoken to this family and explained about the parking, but to no avail. Most of the residents are experiencing parking difficulties now because of this one family. As for parking alongside our car.....we initially had a verbal agreement with the farmer at Ewe Close farm, the farm at the top of the path beside our house, saying we could park 2 abreast outside our cottage. this was fine and worked well until the farm changed hands recently this year. The new farmer is now working the land and has advised us not to park 2 abreast anymore as he doesn't want to damage any parked cars with his tractors and farm machinery as he drives by. We appreciate this is now becoming more troublesome and we are looking at ways of overcoming this issue. At least 1 of the 4 vehicles belonging to the problem family has not been seen of late, so this may alleviate the problem a little.
Disturbance by builders.....I can only apologise for this....the builders were aware that we run a holiday cottage and that we had guests in residence and they did try to keep noise to a minimum.We have been waiting 18 months for this building work to be done and decided to wait until the latter part of the year to avoid the busy summer period of bookings. Unfortunately/fortunately, however you view it, we have been fully booked until October.
No one around to return the keys to......I checked the diary to find what date you left, this being Thursday October 5th. I can guarantee I was home all day as I bake for a local market which takes place every Friday in Cockermouth. I am so busy that day I do not have time to go out at all and I certainly do not remember you coming to the door to return your keys. I always try to make an effort to be at home for arrivals and departures, to both meet and greet and to say farewell to guests and make sure their stay was all they hoped it would be. Had you knocked the door instead of putting the keys through the letter box, I would have asked about your stay and been able to hopefully iron out your issues then instead of now. I always impress on our guests that should they find anything at all not to their liking, however trivial, to come and let us know immediately and hopefully we can rectify any problems. Sadly, you chose not to come and let us know of your issues, so we were unable to help at the time.
Again I apologise if you ere not entirely satisfied and I hope I have answered your issues.
Regards, Christine Thorpe
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing