“Quaint Cottage”
other travelers have booked this property
Front view of cottage
Front view of cottage Cosy lounge
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Cosy lounge
Cosy Lounge
Log Burner alight.
Wall View
The Log Burner on Full Coal, Real hot!
Bedroom
Bedroom
Newly fitted Double shower in Revamped Bathroom
Newly fitted Kitchen
Rear area, however, tree no longer there.
View from front of cottage
Sunset over Allonby beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Sarahkken
“Time away”
Reviewed October 7, 2017 for a stay in October 2017

I decided to book this little cottage after reading the reviews and seeing the pictures. It sounded perfect for us and our little dog. We found it really easy using a sat nav but do be aware it's off the beaten track so really small roads leading up to it, approach slowly as your not aware what's coming around the bends. Was warmly greeted by christine and a nice welcome pack. The cottage is really well equipped and has everything you would need for your stay including some useful books and leaflets of the area. The cottage was clean enough, a few cobwebs here and there and a damp patch behind the sofa. The stairs are as described, even I had trouble getting up and down steadily and am 34!! Plus my dog did try to follow me up and fell down them so had to block them with a chair to stop him investigating. Maybe a stair Gate might be a idea for doggy guests. The garden is to a degree fenced off bar a little side bit along the cottage which just had a bin blocking it which my dog did try to get by so unfortunately we had to make sure we took him out on his lead so he didn't get out. There is parking but only a little bit of a muddy verge with only room for 3 cars and unfortunately on one occasion when we got back after a long day they were all taken and we had no where to park. We had to bump it up into the hedge to fit off the road. It would be nice if guest could use the driveway of the owners instead so this didn't happen again. We also got woken up twice in a row to hammering and drilling as the owners were having building work done, so not so much as a romantic get away. As we left there was no one around to give the key to so had to post it through the letter box. All in all I was a little bit disappointed as I was looking forward to our stay and my week off work.

Dec 7, 2017
Thanks Sarah for your review. Apologies for the late reply, but we have been in Australia visiting family and only arrived home this week. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and I will try to address your issues individually.
Cobwebs.....any house in the area will have cobwebs, they seem to appear overnight. My husband and I share the cleaning of the cottage and clean thoroughly between each guest, even if that guest has only stayed a couple of nights. Cobwebs will appear in the best regulated house.
Damp patch....we too have noticed this and have asked our builder to investigate. He is of the opinion that it is not damp, but condensation caused by the furniture being so close to the wall and having stone floors and walls. If there had been a damp problem, this would have been rectified by said builder.
Stairs....yes we agree the stairs are very steep and we point this out in our write up. I also make a point of bringing this to guests attention on arrival. Short of redesigning the whole holiday cottage, I'm not sure what else can be done.The cottage is how it is and is how it was when we bought the property.
Enclosed rear garden.....yes the garden is fully enclosed. Then 'bin' you refer to is the ash bin for the log burner ashes and was placed where you saw it by other guests. We normally have a gate blocking off our garden area from the holiday cottage garden but this has been temporarily removed by the builders, but still blocked off by other means. We too have a small dog, very inquisitive dog, who try as he might, cannot get through the temporary barrier.
Parking....I agree, parking has become a bit of an issue recently.The parking for guests is in the lay by at the side of the cottage , as stated in our write up. Recently, problems have arisen with the arrival of a new family to the cottages opposite our house, who park 4 of their 5 cars in this lay by too.My husband and myself, along with other residents have spoken to this family and explained about the parking, but to no avail. Most of the residents are experiencing parking difficulties now because of this one family. As for parking alongside our car.....we initially had a verbal agreement with the farmer at Ewe Close farm, the farm at the top of the path beside our house, saying we could park 2 abreast outside our cottage. this was fine and worked well until the farm changed hands recently this year. The new farmer is now working the land and has advised us not to park 2 abreast anymore as he doesn't want to damage any parked cars with his tractors and farm machinery as he drives by. We appreciate this is now becoming more troublesome and we are looking at ways of overcoming this issue. At least 1 of the 4 vehicles belonging to the problem family has not been seen of late, so this may alleviate the problem a little.
Disturbance by builders.....I can only apologise for this....the builders were aware that we run a holiday cottage and that we had guests in residence and they did try to keep noise to a minimum.We have been waiting 18 months for this building work to be done and decided to wait until the latter part of the year to avoid the busy summer period of bookings. Unfortunately/fortunately, however you view it, we have been fully booked until October.
No one around to return the keys to......I checked the diary to find what date you left, this being Thursday October 5th. I can guarantee I was home all day as I bake for a local market which takes place every Friday in Cockermouth. I am so busy that day I do not have time to go out at all and I certainly do not remember you coming to the door to return your keys. I always try to make an effort to be at home for arrivals and departures, to both meet and greet and to say farewell to guests and make sure their stay was all they hoped it would be. Had you knocked the door instead of putting the keys through the letter box, I would have asked about your stay and been able to hopefully iron out your issues then instead of now. I always impress on our guests that should they find anything at all not to their liking, however trivial, to come and let us know immediately and hopefully we can rectify any problems. Sadly, you chose not to come and let us know of your issues, so we were unable to help at the time.
Again I apologise if you ere not entirely satisfied and I hope I have answered your issues.
Regards, Christine Thorpe
Gillian W
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Quaint Cottage”
Reviewed October 5, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

This delightful cottage is situated in a Hamlet near to Cockerrmouth. It has all the charm that a country cottage can have and was an amazing place to stay, quite and peaceful. We were there last week of September 2017. We were met by Christine as we arrived and shown around the cottage then there was the welcome pack, home baked cake, marmalade, relish, eggs and bread and cheese. A wood burning fire as well as central heating.There are lots of books available for walks around the area with or with out a dog, we took our dog we walked for miles.Will certainly recommend to other people I know looking for somewhere to stay in that area, will return next year. Many thanks to Christine.

Dec 7, 2017
Thanks Gillian for your kind review. Sorry for delay in answering, but we have been in Australia visiting family and only returned this week. So glad you enjoyed your stay and found plenty of places to walk. You are most welcome to return anytime in the future.
Regards. Christine
ZoeandStu
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Beautiful cottage”
Reviewed August 31, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

We weren't too sure what to expect when we booked, we wanted a base for walking our 3dogs.
Stable cottage certainly exceeded all expectations. Beautifully clean and tidy and very well stocked with everything you could possibly need. In addition to the basics a welcome pack was provided and included a bottle of wine, cake, bread, cheese, eggs, butter, jams etc.. Much needed supplies on the first night! The cake was absolutely amazing too!
I couldn't tell that other dogs had previously stayed at the cottage, no doggy smells or evidence of hounds.
My only gripe would be that the path was overgrown and difficult to walk the dogs along to get into the house but thats me being really picky and trying to find something!
The owners really thought of everything and theres a box full of local information, full instructions for the wood burner & recommendations for the local pub (which served lovely good home cooked food and the welcome was incredibly friendly)
A beautiful cottage, very peaceful and quiet and great base for some lovely dog walks.

Sep 4, 2017
Thanks Zoe and Stu for your kind comments. We're glad everything was to your liking. You will be more than welcome to return. Christine and Chris.
stephanie...
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Amazing couple amazing cottage above and beyond what is required.”
Reviewed August 30, 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I had a few problems prior to coming to stay at the cottage and I have to say that the couple were amazing in replying to me and understanding my situation it helped me a lot. The actual cottage is really nice and the little extras that are left are such a lovely touch and make life that little bit easier very thoughtful. I missed them when they called round but it was nice they popped to see us and give us a discount card for local public house. I would definitely recommend, enclosed garden for dogs. The stairs as it states in the advert are very steep so if not fully mobile not for you. Would return.

Sep 2, 2017
Thanks Steph for your kind words. We're so glad you felt you could still come for your short break, after your sad news. Hope you feel better for the rest and change of scenery. You will both be welcome to return any time in the future and who knows, we might even get to meet each other. Take care and hope the future brightens up for you both. Best wishes, Chrissy and Chris. x
chester
Reviewed July 16, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Jul 17, 2017
Thanks Jann and Rob for your kind words. It was our absolute pleasure to have you and the dogs stay at Stable Cottage recently. So glad you enjoyed your stay.you are most welcome to return any time, just let us know when to expect you! regards, Chrissy and Chris.
ZOE R
“Perfect pet friendly rural retreat.”
Reviewed June 29, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Wonderful location, lovely cottage for two, close to beach and Cockermouth. Hosts Christine and Chris very friendly and helpful, could not do enough for us. We will be visiting again.

Your age range 50-64
Jul 17, 2017
Thanks Zoe for your kind review. It was our [pleasure to have you and Neil and Roger Ramjet stay at Stable Cottage. You are most welcome to return any time. Regards, Christine and Chris.
Reviewed June 27, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Jun 29, 2017
Thanks very much Philip and Vera for your kind review. It was a pleasure to have you stay at Stable Cottage recently and to swap notes on 'old cottages' and their quirks. You will be most welcome to return anytime and we can swap notes on Wigston....Regards Christine and Chris
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing