“Lovely place just not my taste of decor”
Review of Manor House Hotel

Manor House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Cockermouth
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was here on business and it wasn't my choice so I had no expectations.

It's pretty central to Cockermouth, plenty of parking. Place is nice and clean but the decor is very old fashioned. Not in the way it's old and tired but its new and meant to look like an old country house. Not exactly my cup of tea,

Rooms were well appointed and very clean. Bathroom was very nice and clean.

I only had breakfast there and it was about what you would expect from a cooked breakfast. Fresh and filling.

It has a bar but the pint of Peroni I had there was off. Didn't finish it.

My only complaint was the radiators were on even after me turning them down. So in June the room was hot.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Manor House Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed here recently for the weekend. When we arrived the owners were arguing in another room and took a while to answer the bell! Our room was on the top floor up flights and flights of stairs. The decor was very 1995 but the worst thing was that there was no window - only a little velux in the low roof but you could not see any view from it as it looked directly at the sky!
The pluses though - spotlessly clean, and I'm very picky. The shower was good and the breakfast was excellent. The homemade toast was tasty, the cooked breakfast was excellent, great range of jams and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnanB
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We recently stayed at the Manor house hotel & must say how wonderfully friendly the owners were, Carol was so lovely & chatty a real character who offers great customer service with a smile, something which is rare these days! also a lovely lady called Wendy served our delicious breakfast which was truly outstanding, Wendy was so helpful & a real gem of a lady. The hotel was clean & tidy & we were lucky enough to stay in the balcony room, I felt like royalty waving from the balcony.I would definitely stay at the Manor again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We recently stayed here while on business - we booked 3 rooms in total. All the rooms were very clean and of a good size. The decor is 'interesting' but adds to the character of the hotel. The owner is very friendly without being overpowering. The breakfast was amazing and served by a lovely lady who just couldn't do enough for us.

All 4 of us enjoyed our stay and will be back. This is a great hotel which deserves to be supported as it reflects some of the things that make Great Britain great!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Easy to find, plenty of good parking and just on the edge of centre and easy stroll to all the very good pubs and shops. The decor of the hotel is slightly dated and could be made lighter but everywhere is absolutely spotless and looked after obviously lovingly. Carol Ann, the host, is bubbly, friendly and very helpful. Her husband is an excellent chef and I can say the breakfast was the best I have ever been served out of many hundreds over the years. The evening dinner was also delicious with reasonably priced wine . My wife and I would definitely stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: We had room 4 which overlooked the high street and the Trout Hotel. Secondary double glazing cuts o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here fro New Years Eve for 2 nights very centrally located for the town. Lovely room nice and clean as was the whole hotel could not fault it for that , the breakfast was absolutely gorgeous . The host Carol Ann was excellent what a character , charming and bubbly every time we spoke to her she couldn't do enough a mind of local information .....would recommend this hotel as a nice place to stay for a few nights

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron S
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My partner and I recently spent the New Year period at the Manor House Hotel and we had a wonderful time there. Although the weather was wet and dull the welcome we received was certainly not. From the moment we entered the hotel to the moment we left we were made to feel very welcome by the host, Carol Ann, and the other staff. The room was warm, comfortable and well-appointed and a great place to relax. We had read from the many reviews on this site that the food was excellent and on the first-evening we ate in the restaurant and it completely lived up to the comments we had read. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the meal - it was excellent in all respects and certainly as good as or better than some highly regarded restuarants we have eaten in. We were glad that we booked but even though it was busy the service was efficient and friendly and we are very much looking forward to our next meal there. The breakfasts at the Manor House have also gained themselves a reputation for quality and again our experience bore this out. There is an excellent choice of cereals, fruits, yoghurts, home-made bread and and a wide range of home-made preserves. The Manor House Grill with its locally sourced ingredients and impressive Cumberland Sausage is to be recommended for those with a hearty appetite and I can recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which I found absolutely delicious. All the food is cooked by Carol Ann's husband Edward, who is a Swiss trained chef, and we found everything that came from the kitchen was carefully prepared and excellent in all respects. We spent New Year's eve in the hotel bar and were made to feel very welcome by all. Every effort had clearly been made to ensure that everyone had an enjoyable time, and we certainly did!

Cockermouth is a friendly and attractive town and the same could said of the Manor House Hotel. We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple