All reviews sunday carvery manager dan flat roof lovely hotel lick of paint two nights home cooked grounds are lovely family run old house large portions lake district piping hot two night stay pleasant stay hotel is situated peaceful location
Selected filters
Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

I was disappointed in the level of service at the hotel. There was never anybody around. I waited for 20 minutes at the bar to get a drink and when I asked if they had any crisps or nuts they said that they didn’t have anything like that. The barman said that they go off at this time of year if they buy them?! What kind of hotel doesn’t have bar snacks?
I wanted to order some food but was told that I had the wrong menu (it was on the table) and food wasn’t served until 6.30 that evening; it was 2.30 and I was starving and there were no food options!
We went down for breakfast the following morning, nobody to greet us, waited 10 minutes and then the host had the cheek to tell us that we were just in time!
The bedroom was cold and the whole place could do with updating but for £54 for the night you can’t really complain. Unfortunately I won’t be back though.
Oh! I almost forgot to mention the toilet, it was so close to the wall that you couldn’t really sit on it comfortably!

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

Have eaten the carvery here 4 times over the past year with a larger family group and as a couple. Each time the food has been fantastic - we've managed to try all the carvery mains between us! The meat portions are generous and the vegetables are always fresh and plenty to help yourself to. Amazing value for money as well at under £8 for an adult.

Staff are lovely and friendly, even when it has been busy. The setting is so beautiful with views out onto the countryside and fells, that it's a pleasure to sit in the bar while waiting for your table. The bar is well stocked.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2019 via mobile

Don’t let the photos deceive! Photos look amazing but it’s far from it! Frosty reception did not feel very welcome! Reception area, lounges bar and rooms are cold and uninviting! Decor is bland and impersonal. Has so much potential but got put in a room with a really old uncomfortable mattress and furnishings looking charity shop bargain deals - bar staff not really on duty tried to order another pint and waited 14 minutes for someone to arrive! Will add photos of dust pubic hairs and general bad appointed room which incidentally was not a dog friendly room (we gave a little dog) so I would dread to see the real dog friendly rooms? No, not recommended- travel a bit further! The Days Inn or Premier Inn still knocks the spots off this very cold and uninviting establishment

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2018 via mobile

We got married at the hotel. We had a lovely day. Being the bride i was chilled out and had a relaxing time. Dan the manager could not do anything more.
But i was disappointed of how unorganised when it came to the meal.
There was things i asked for that were not done. Eg all children to get their meals 1st. Not to put fruit and ice in the juice starter.
The last couple of tables waited an hour for their meals. Got told everyone was to get everything weather it was pie or carvery, they did not.
I asked for the afternoon tea style desserts(homemade), which i was very dissappointed. I got mr kippin and maybe a hand full of homemade.
Could not fault the night time disco or bar. Dan is the dj and kept everyone happy with any requests.
We had a lovely veiw in room 1. Breakfast was lovely too.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2018 via mobile

Seated quickly. Good selection of beers. 4 choices of meat to choose from off evening carvery. Could do with more selection of veg. Gravy was tasteless. Quaint but run down. Deserts expensive at nearly £5 which was minute.

Date of stay: November 2018