“Can't wait to go back!”

Cumbria
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We went just before christmas. i had chicken, chips, gravy and salad. my partner had steak and ale pie and chips and my little girl had lasagne. What a mountain of food came out! i had to take some of mine home in a doggy bag! even my partner struggled to finish his but it was all so nice we didnt want to stop eating. We're going back tonight and i cant wait. staff are lovely and its such a lovely atmosphere - even when its quite. Love the fire, i want one in my living room!

• Visited November 2012

Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“best food ive had for years”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

whent their on friday 18/01/2013 and both me and my wife had the rump steak and i must say its the best steak ive had in years and cooked perfect my 2 grand kids had baked potatoes and chicken meals and where pleased with them the staff where very helpfull the meal was that good we have booked a table for 27 jan for my birthday i recomend this pub to anyone i mean the chap below must of being in another world or country

Southampton
“Dirty, rancid fried food and shocking manners.”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Initially, quite impressed. Upon approaching the bar and ordering drinks, the bar maid asked if we had booked a table? We had not, and she found one for us. And that's where the good service stopped. 98% of the menu items were fried. Or came with something fried. Not a problem, or so we thought. A lot of the items claim to be "home made". If they are indeed "homemade" they're not made with love; my "home made" lasagne looking and tasting like (I'd presume) a Tesco Value lasagne would taste like... and for the chips - fried in dirty, rancid oil - absolutely disgusting. And when the waitress asked if everything was "alright" and we said "no, not really, it was disgusting and could we please just have the bill" she demonstrated the most unattractive attributives for someone in the hospitability industry... we just wanted the bill and the leave... not able to face looking at another dirty greasy (piled high) plate of rancid smelling fried food go by. I'm not going to comment anymore on the poor service, or the comments made by the waitress, as it will wind me up. But to sum up - they serve up dirty great plates of food fried in rancid oil. And have no regard for service. Shame, as from the road, it looks quite pleasant, which is why we ended up there. Avoid, and try the "Bitter End" pub in Cockermouth - nice home cooked food - lovely friendly service - and surprisingly inexpensive. These two pubs are worlds apart.

1 Thank paulj121
Southampton UK
“A second rate 'greasy spoon'”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Congratulations to this second rate 'greasy spoon' for having managed to deliver the worst cooked and presented food I have ever experienced, the most disgraceful waiting service and behaviours I have ever come across in 30 years and for having the most ineffective management on the night, who quite frankly didn't give tuppence about whether we enjoyed the place, our food or not. I do not write damning reviews about any place lightly, this excuse for a family eatery/holiday destination needs to review and develop the whole way in which the operate and I would suggest the first place to start is with the staff & local management - avoid this place at all cost. I will be writing independently to the brewery management.

1 Thank bonajona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never again!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have been here once before and thought it was great so decided to take my friends with me this time. It was terrible from the moment we walked in. We waited 25 minutes to be seated after already having a table booked then waited another 30 minutes to order anything even tho we had looked at menus while waiting to be seated! Food arrived and 4 out of 7 meals had to be sent back as they were barely warm. The rest of the meals were average you could make better yourself at home! Portion sizes are way too big. We finished what we could but were all still hungry so decide to order deserts. We waited a further 20 minutes for our order to be taken then we waited a further 40 minutes with no deserts arriving so we cancelled the deserts and left!!! Never ever again will I be returning to here.

1 Thank Lpg131