“Reassuring!”
Review of Lucy's on a plate

Lucy's on a plate
Ranked #16 of 118 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: Bar, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: OPENING HOURS MONDAY TO FRIDAY FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FROM 11AM EVENING MENU FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM Lucy's on a plate has been operational now for over 25 years and offers a unique and quirky dining experience - everchanging but the ethos remaining the same - catering for a variety of different palates - especially popular for the range of gluten free dishes and delicious desserts ... over 30 desserts made on the premises from Borrowdale Sticky Banana Pudding through to Apple and Almond Eve's Pudding as well as innovative and inventive temptations such as Toffee Vodka Cheesecake and Sorbet Sparklers. Ensure you book for the evening menu and you could find yourself mentioned in dispatches-great for birthdays and special occasions - there's a lovely large table for bigger groups (up to 16) and special celebrations are most welcome. Exclusive use with bespoke menus for weddings and suchlike is also a possibility and parties are managed expertly, without destroying the romantic ambience in other parts of the restaurant. The menu is typed daily with a wide range of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes(gluten free again marked clearly on the menus)! Join us for Brunch and Lunch ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS at Lucy's from 11am MONDAY TO FRIDAY Lucy's on a plate opens from 5pm with last orders at 9.30pm (Just Desserts up until 10.30pm). Lucy's chooses local produce to cook in a global fashion. Lucy's is NOT a fast food restaurant, but allows you to enjoy the company of friends, family, loved ones or simply relish the pleasure of being on your own. Dine or drink ... or pop in for your Just Desserts ... you decide, we'll provide. Lucy's is a place that once you've discovered - you'll never forget. PLEASE NOTE THAT LUCY'S IS NOT OPEN FOR LUNCH DURING THE WEEK (Monday to Friday) But Lucy's is open for Brunch, Lunch and Afternoon Teas from 11am Saturday and Sunday - evening menu commencing at 5pm. Christmas and New Year - Open (Booking essential) Pre-booked Lunch Parties of 12 or more can be accommodated on request during the week.
argyll
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Reassuring!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Just finished fantastic meal! Arrived soaked as a solo diner and was greeted so friendly I was definitely eating here! Place is beautiful, staff very friendly, food fantastic, drinks fabulous. A place with soul, well done all and well done Lucy! It is the best meal I have had all week in ambleside.Thanks x

twobadmice, Guest Relations Manager at Lucy's on a plate, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you! It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed dining here in spite of eating solo ... we certainly have a lot of guests that feel comfortable dining alone at Lucy's where they will be welcome every time (providing we have a table to sit you at ... you're welcome!) Sometimes pondering your own company is not an option we would choose so it needs to be somewhere that you'll be taken care of! We shall look forward to welcoming you back to this beautiful part of the world again very soon. x

Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely sunday lunches - shame about the service”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Lovely Sunday lunches - locally sourced meat was beautiful and the roast spuds deserve a special mention :-) Though need to point out the beef was rare to the point of blue (luckily perfect for me but not so for my wife, we had to swap). Shame about the service - staff were clueless about what they were selling, took 3 waitresses just to take our order!

1 Thank Steve M
Lucyonaplate, Guest Relations Manager at Lucy's on a plate, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
thank you very much for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed the roasts and the potatoes etc. - we do clearly mark on the menus that we serve the beef rare, however, it is never a problem to do it a little more to ensure that we do it to your liking. I am disappointed that you thought the staff were clueless ... they are usually most knowledgeable and helpful - without the benefit of more detail it's a little difficult to be able to ascertain exactly what happened, however, I would say that the girls don't operate particular tables, but work in pairs generally and therefore if you weren't ready to have your order taken it may have been a different person who came when you were ready. If you'd like to let me know through direct contact I am more than happy to provide you with a better explanation. However, we very much hope that you will venture to us again when you are next in the area and enjoy our Sunday lunches (which are, after all, served all day - making Lucy's a great place to visit after a good walk in the Lake District!
Chester, United Kingdom
“Too many words make the menu confusing”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Oh dear! I'm clearly out of step with other reviews. We found the mountains of words just too over-the-top and the descriptions so passe! I suppose if you like to feel your food is "sexy" and drool at the idea of a dessert then this place would suit. We just enjoy well cooked, excellent food of a recognisable excellent and above average quality and so this wasn't it for us. Our waitress had trouble pronouncing Toad in the Hole in English! My mashed potato was mashed into an individual tin round and dried off to a leathery crust in the oven. When I said I'd asked for mash, my plate was taken away and then returned 5 minutes later with the comment: "This is mash". So, I decided to explain another way: "Could I have the mash, as on the menu and similar to what is on my husband's plate?" Plate disappeared again and was only returned after my husband had finished eating his. It had obviously been put in an oven to be kept warm because all the root veg was now crisped up. Very disappointing. Staff very friendly but thought it was overpriced for what it advertised. The area has clearly got together to decide on prices and I don't blame them for this but each dish i.e. liver, lamb etc. is always the same price, within a few pence, wherever you eat in the area. By the end of two days we knew the prices without looking at menus. So, to sum up, no better or worse than anywhere else in Ambleside of a similar nature but, Oh all those words so built us up for what was in fact just average food. We certainly didn't taste any recognisable overt quality in any of the ingredients. With so much choice we wouldn't bother to go again.

1 Thank Sprite_9
I suppose that looking at your review it defines the saying that 'you'll never please all of the people all of the time' which is something that at Lucy's we are very mindful of (would that we were able to satisfy 100% of those that dine with us, but it would be most foolish to make that assumption) We are what we are ... I make no excuse for the way in which present ourselves and word our menus .. we're not prescriptive in the way in which you'd like us to be - but the world would be a very dull place if we were all the same... Our Waitresses (as you point out) are friendly and cheerful - yes, they don't all have English as a first language and their pronounciation of some of our 'quirky' british words can be amusing and at times frustrating ... however, they work incredibly hard to improve their language skills on a daily basis. I am interested by your comment about all the hospitality providers in the area getting together in true 'cartel' style to put prices on everything ... however that isn't at all what happens ... in essence, you purchase a product, work out what you need to do in order to sell it (margins, profits and so on) in just the same way as you would with any other item being sold - and thankfully we must all be doing the same calculation! Anyway, I appear to have become rather more wordy than I would have liked and interestingly your review is pretty wordy too! I appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to respond.
Malaga, Spain
“A moment on the lips .....”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have visited here for tea and cakes a few times and, because I am not often in the area these days, I forget that I was disappointed with the cakes by the time my next visit comes round! The assortment of cakes is amazing and they look so good but all but one contained a heart-stopping quantity of sugar in the butter icing, which completely masks any taste that might be in the cakes. The ambeance etc. is fine and I cannot comment on the savoury parts of the menu.

• Visited February 2013
Thank you for your review ... however, I am surprised that you describe all our cakes as being very sugary (although most cakes do have sugar in them - some cakes such as the parsnip cake are naturally sweetened) ... we do have a huge array of different cakes, including gluten free goodies, a variety of chocolate concoctions - brownie, triple chocolate cake, chocolate guinness cake, as well as lemon drizzle, fruit cake with Wensleydale cheese, Borrowdale Teabread, gingerbread and a selection of scones. Our Carrot, cranberry and and walnut cake is one of the most popular choices and does indeed have a thick layer of a cream cheese icing both through the centre and on the top ... the Princess cake also has a lovely topping of water icing and cherries ... whilst the coffee walnut cake has a tasty coffee butter icing. In short, perhaps you'd be best choosing something from the savoury menu or one of our delicious scones in order to avoid all that sugar should you happen to forget next time you visit Ambleside! PS did I mention the 35 desserts that we do???
Preston
“Try the lemon thing!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I loved the warm welcome from Lucy and her team. The quirky personalised menu made me smile and created an instant feeling of belonging.

On a cold January evening, Lucy's is the perfect place to seek out real comfort food. I wanted to try everything on the menu and had a tough time deciding what to have because it all sounded so good.

In the end I went for a warming butternut squash curry with home made naan bread.

The star of the evening was the lemon pudding. I can't remember what it is called, but I would call it 'lemon cloud'. It was scrumptious and I've never experienced a pudding like it.

The lemon cloud was a warm, fluffy, lemony, light and satisfying all the the same time. Not just a flavour explosion, this was a treat for the senses.

Nom nom nom....

Visited January 2013
thank you for your lovely review ... you're right - Pudding is most definitely the highlight at Lucy's on a plate and the 'lemony thing' is called Saucy Lemon Pudding and I more than happy to share the recipe with you in exchange for one of yours! It's a pudding that is always a favourite here at Lucy's and served with ice cream there is that combination of 'hot and cold' which is truly delicious! In this day and age when it's so easy to be critical, it's lovely that you have taken the time to highlight your visit to us and we shall look forward to welcoming you to Lucy's again before too long. x