“Very good in most respects”

The Drunken Duck Inn
Ranked #20 of 121 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We ate here as a family. Food was very good but not exceptional, service was also good. The only slight down side was that they seemed in a rush to get us to the table and to order. Other restaurants of this type tend to be a bit more relaxed about the customers' timing.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I had last visited over twenty years ago, and wanted to bring my family for a meal. But the pub has changed beyond recognition and it has lost all of its 'country pub" ambience, replaced by very chic and majority of booked dining tables. It reminded me of an inner city up market bistro, which was a shame.
The children struggled to choose something from the menu which was very fancy and expensive, no children's menu available.
The food was good but was slightly pretentious, a little over worked.
We had a nice evening, the majority of the staff were great, the manager looked slightly stressed.
Would I go back? No. we would not, because the menu wasn't really what we wanted to eat in the lakes. Too fancy and expensive, but maybe in the future for a special occasion with adults!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had a lovely time at the DD on 31st Oct. The two different receptionists (upon arrival in the evening and the following morning) were welcoming, friendly and helpful; after unpacking we settled in front of a real fire for complimentary coffee and home-made scones. I mentioned to the waiter that I wished the clotted cream was ice-cream and no sooner had I said this, he immediately brought me some ice-cream - with compliments (home-made and delicious). What made the stay so special was how happy everyone was. We asked for sandwiches to be made - very scrummy. I would recommend the DD to everyone - and can't wait to visit again.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Booked a table of 4 on a Friday night.Lovely restaurant & bar with open fire, which was great on a cold night.
My scallop starter was good, but at £11.95 for a very small portion was overpriced. Shared the Drunken Duck main, which consisted of roasted breast & confit of leg, served with roast potatoes & veg. Confit was delicious, breast pretty tasteless & undercooked roast potatoes. Service was very patchy, one minute very attentive & then we sat there for ages with empty glasses, wondering where everybody had gone?
Overall, pretty disappointed for the price & doubt if I'd return??

2  Thank Leedsaway67
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We visited a few years ago and weren't that impressed and as such didn't rush back. What a mistake!!! So glad we decided to go back this visit to Ambleside, it was fantastic. The food was excellent, really well thought out, great menu and very well executed. The atmosphere was nice and buzzing as it's so popular, but the restaurant still felt intimate. The service was really friendly whilst still professional and slick. Although slightly pricier than others in Ambleside, it's not expensive and the difference in quality is worth it. Looking forward to our next visit.