“new year”
Review of YHA Ambleside

YHA Ambleside
Reviewed January 1, 2014

arrived home to south wales after spending new year at yha ambleside ,just one word ,fab,great place ,recommend it to anyone,but most of all the staff,they were great very helpful,and thanks to them my grandaughter had a fab birthday,on new years morn.thanks again the godsmarks,we shall be back in the near future.

Room Tip: any one would be good,but overlooking the lake would be better.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine G
There are newer reviews for YHA Ambleside

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Watching dawn break over Lake Windermere from your bedroom is unbelievable. This hostel is on the waterfront of Lake Windermere - you couldn't have a better location! The accommodation is typical YHA hostel accommodation. I was in a twin room - bunk beds, wash basin and cupboard to store things. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The communal toilets and showers were clean. The hostel has recently been modernised and was looking very good. The staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a good English cooked breakfast. This must be the best location in Ambleside at an exceptional price. I shall be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The thought of staying in a youth hostel wasn't my idea of fun but this place has really changed my mind. It was clean and modern. Plenty of toilets and showers which were wonderfully hot (the showers not the toilets!). The bar was a fabulous surprise and if we hadn't booked elsewhere, I would have been happy to stay there all evening. The breakfast was as good as any I have had anywhere and the staff friendly and helpful. And those views! I will be back in 2014.

Room Tip: Get a room with a lake view - but some rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TizzyMay2013
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in December 2013. We had a great value, en-suite room with lake views, really friendly staff, good kitchen for self-catering and a good breakfast too! Has all the things you need from a good youth hostel - drying room, communal space, TV room, space to relax, etc, plus its own bar and restaurant. Rooms were clean, warm and cosy.

It's within walking distance of Ambleside town centre and is next to the jetty for the ferry to Bowness, etc.

Had a great mixture of residents too - from climbers and walkers like us, to kayakers, cyclists and families with children just enjoying the views (or in the case of this weekend, sheltering from the rain).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 207, overlooking Lake Windermere. It was a 4 person room, with en-suite. Ideal for...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I hadn't been to a Youth Hostel for an overnight stay. Saw this advertised, at a reasonable price.- so booked it.
The YHA, asked for special preference. As its directly beside the lake, I wished for a lake view. The reply was "sorry no single rooms with lake view. Hey ho-not a problem , as the room was cheap.
On arrival, very impressed with the size of the building, huge, and loads of free car parking. (this was in December). Hotel esk reception, with access to bar, and restaurant.There is WIFI connection available.
There was a free upgrade, for my stay- a family room-sleeps 3, and a Lake view.
Very impressed with this YHA. I did use the "self catering option". Kitchens large, clean fully equipped. Fridges, freezers, gas cooking hobs, and microwaves, kettles, fully stocked, knives/forks spoons, They even provided washing up liquids, tea towels.
My room basic, clean and tidy. Cupboards rather than wardrobes. It did have a sink,hot and cold water, and a mirror.Bed, comfortable, simple reading lamps.
The view was outstanding.
Less than 2 minute walk is a licenced fish and chip shop. (It did close early evening)
Most of the guests where pleasant, and amenable.The staff friendly.
Probably a 20 minute stroll into Ambleside, all on the flat.
I did a "full English breakfast, and as the weather was good, I sat outside on a picnic bench to eat it overlooking the lake. Fabulous.
If like me you aint been to a YHA....I don't think there is a better one to start with.
Please don't expect 5 stars, it a Youth Hostel, and go with that in mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank edwardtate
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I visited YHS Ambleside for a long weekend with my husband and our 2 year old daughter. Never having stayed in a youth hostel before, I had no idea what to expect but I could not have been more pleasantly surprised!!

The staff were lovely and helpful, our private room was warm, clean and had very comfy beds. Our daughter was overjoyed at having a bunk over our bed and whizzed up and down the ladder happily about 5000 times. The toilets and showers were also clean and worked well.

And as for the view from our window.... WOW. It really was the most spectacular panorama, straight out over Windermere.

We cooked in the clean, well equipped self catering kitchen but also had a sneaky bowl of chips in the bar one evening, which were ridiculously tasty. The bar itself has big windows along one wall, all the better to enjoy the view.

The Windermere ferry goes from just next to the youth hostel, and we had a great time walking round Bowness. We also went to Wray Castle, on the other side of the lake, which was a brilliant place for a family to visit. We had planned to go walking but just couldn't seem to fit it in! Can't wait for our next visit to this lovely youth hostel.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Came here for 5 nights on a school residential with 200+ students and 18 staff and we had exclusive use of the hostel. Obviously as it was a group of 12/13 year olds not all facilities I am able to comment on, such as bar/ lounge area facilities but they should be applauded the way they handled everything and our strict requirements! We've been using this establishment for years and this year it has undergone a refurb. Whilst providing really modern facilities it did throw up some challenges to us but the hostel worked with us to overcome them. Rooms varied in size, some were ensuite but were clean and comfortable. Showers were also clean and on my floor (3rd) fairly powerful with adequate supply of hot water. Food was plentiful with a good choice and the full English breakfast every morning was superb.
The location of the hostel overlooking Lake Windermere was superb with only a short stroll into Ambleside that offered numerous shops, eateries etc. As it was a school residential my review is limited as some areas I cannot comment on.
Overall a fantastic experience and far better than I'd anticipated.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Regent Hotel
YHA Windermere
#4 of 10 in Windermere
Arnside Independent Hostel & Study Centre
YHA Grasmere Butharlyp Howe

Been to YHA Ambleside? Share your experiences!