“Great for short breaks”

Ranked #59 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great for short breaks”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night only and we found it to be a great experience. There are only three rooms so we received personal service. The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful but not in an overbearing way. Although compact, the room had everything needed, including a hairdryer, DVD player and lovely views in two directions.
Both the evening meal and breakfast were superb. We will definitely eat here again next time we are in the area.
The one negative point was that the shower was in the bedroom and separate to the toilet/sink, however this is a minor inconvenience on a short break and because of the geography of the room it is the only solution.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank R P

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
cheshire
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and i have been eating at the Log house for over 10 years and have never had a cause to complain, so when visiting Ambleside last week we chose to book a room there for a few nights with my comment to the OH being "At least we'll get a good breakfast"......... or maybe NOT. As they only have 3 rooms that gives a maximum of 6 guests to cater for so the food will be freshly cooked, hot and tasty wih everything available, NO ! The bacon was rock hard, having been previously cooked then re-heated, sausages boiled then flash heated. Although on the menu, no yoguts or pastries available till i asked why not, both appeared next morning. Bedrooms very small NO hanging space apart from a row of coat hooks, two bedside cabinets NO futher draw space.Dusty corners and light fittings and a really dirty towel YUK. I cannot say how disappointed we both are, i'm so sorry we chose to stay there as it has completely changed my view of the place and i doubt we will return to dine. Positives, the very friendly and helpfull breakfast waitress for whom nothing was too much trouble, big comfy beds, good location.

Room Tip: Ask if they have one with storage.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gill661
Log1LakeDistrict, Owner at The Log House, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear gill661

How very disappointing to read your review but at the same time unsurprising!

From the moment you booked to stay with us I knew we would have a difficult task to please you. A few days after making your reservation you contacted Booking.com from whom you made your booking through, informing them that since booking, we had ‘emailed’ you with a better rate and could your reservation be amended accordingly! Which is a total fabrication, as why would we email anyone who had a confirmed reservation to offer them a lower rate? In fact what you had done was copy our tariff page from our website which gives information on our break rates (which are subject to availability). They also asked on your behalf, if you could have a room upgrade or a free bottle of wine if we were not prepared to lower the rate. After this debacle we knew we were in for a rough ride!

I agree our rooms are not massive as we are primarily a historic log cabin which has been converted in its later years to offer accommodation. Whilst our rooms are compact compared to your average Travelodge, they are oozing character and charm and equipped with flatsceen TV’s, dvd players, ipod docking stations, hospitality trays, great showers and very comfortable beds not to mention free WiFi.

As for the housekeeping issues you mentioned in your review, you are correct we did have one light bulb out on the chandelier (this was mentioned in your Booking.com review), had you told us at the time, we would have changed the bulb immediately for you. As for the dirty towel – there was no dirty towel in your room to use.

I am very surprised you were disappointed with your breakfast, as many of our guests often comment on how good our breakfast is! Whilst you have left us a very negative review on this site and Booking.com’s own review site, the same day you posted your review, the guests who were staying in our other rooms during your stay, also reviewed us remarking how superb the food was!
Your husband even came down stairs to thank us for such a lovely breakfast so I am at a loss why you have written such a scathing review.

Each morning you came down for breakfast at 9.30am when we are about to stop serving breakfast, by that time the other guests had eaten, this is why there were no longer any yoghurts on the buffet table, as they had been consumed. Had you requested any yoghurts at any point we would have happily put some more out for you.

I am sorry there were no pastries available only croissants, as discussed with yourself we do buy these in, and our supplier was currently out of stock of the selection we normally serve. When you mentioned your disappointment to a member of staff, my husband made sure he went to the bakery at 6.30am the following morning to provide pastries at breakfast. I can happily inform you we are now fully stocked again with our chosen brand.

You mention you have eaten with us for over 10 years, which I find surprising as you never ate once with us during your stay.
I have to say I did have a little chuckle at your suggestion that we boil our sausages! I never knew you could, but I have to say I wouldn’t choose to eat one cooked this way! I can promise you we do not boil our sausages, they are cooked in the oven.

As for the bacon, like every hotel or B&B we par cook our sausage and bacon and once we have received the order we then finish cooking them in the oven for a further five minutes. If we cooked every rasher of bacon from scratch for each breakfast, guests would be waiting for at least 20 minutes for their breakfast.

It’s such a shame you didn’t enjoy your stay as your husband personally came back from the car before you left, to thank us for a lovely stay and remarked how much you had both enjoyed it!

I agree maybe we are not for you, but I hope you will continue to enjoy holidaying in the beautiful Lake District.

Kind regards

Nicola Calman
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Excellent stay. The room was clean and comfortable. The evening meal was very nice and of a high standard, and the breakfast was hearty. The staff were helpful and there no problems using the gift experience voucher. Would recommend staying and eating here.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank scy81
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night whilst touring the lake district on our holiday in the Uk as we live in Lanzarote. It was a last minute booking. The room was tastefully decorated and clean with the usual facilities you normally find in a BB. Great selection of DVD's etc if you wanted to just chill out and stay in. The staff were very helpful and nice to chat to. The breakfast next morning was lovely with a great view from the windows ( wild deer) . We thought it was good value for money and within easy access to Ambleside centre of the lakeside. We did not eat here but it was very obvious that it's a popular place to eat and drink with a great menu on offer . We would return again.

1 Thank Pixiebelle64
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My partner had wanted to experience The Log House in Ambleside for many years having visited the area on numerous occasions and having long admired the lovely building. With that in mind and our first anniversary approaching I took the opportunity to book a room for a one night stay as this was the only time which we could both get annual leave from our jobs together around the time of the anniversary. I had recently started a new job and so was uncertain as to whether or not I would be able to get that day off and so I contacted Booking.com to find out if there was a fee should I wish to cancel the booking. Booking.com kindly contacted The Log House and I was told that yes there would be a cancellation fee of the first nights booking, so I'd lose £90. I informed the person at Booking.com that I would keep the booking and either try and find someone else to take the night stay or I would really push for annual leave. On Thursday the 5th of this month my partner and I made the journery to Ambleside thoroughly looking forward to our stay and the meal which we had booked for the hotels restaurant that evening. Alas, when we arrived to book in there was no note of us in the heavily tippexed diary and all three of the rooms were full. The lady at the bar whom we first met was very polite and helpful and contacted the manager for us. I also contacted Booking.com who stated quite clearly that they still had it on their system that we were booked in at The Log House for that stay. I soon received a phone call from the manager who stated that Booking.com had "cocked up" and that as there was no room for us then she could either try to find us suitable alternative accommodation or refund our money. As we stay not too far from the Lake District and had came for the experience of staying at The Log House and not simply in Ambleside I asked for a refund which was actioned. Whilst I appreciate that there may well have been some confusion caused, the manager at The Log House still maintains that Booking.com were at fault (despite Booking.com having forwarded me the details they have on their system which shows it was still booked!). The word "sorry" was not forthcoming from the manager and when my partner contacted her to simply detail what we had experienced we received a quite patronising response.

To my mind a refund does not cover this error as we are unable to go back and enjoy our anniversary. That occasion has been ruined as has our desire to stay at The Log House. Whilst the building itself looks lovely, I am afraid that we have been let down badly and are very disappointed with the service, or lack of, that we have received. Even if we had been offered another nights stay free or possibly at half price next time this would have made us feel slightly better about the whole sour experience, but we can only conclude that The Log House was not, and no longer will be, for us!

5 Thank Jamie C
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We went here for dinner after a long walk in the Langdales and really enjoyed our meal. The food was of a very high standard, came quickly (but we didn't feel rushed at all) and was really delicious. There was a really good quality set menu for a reasonable price and the A la carte menu was varied and provided a good choice of yummy, well balanced meals. Would definately recommend the Log House for a great meal - what a treat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I ate here for the 1st time in April 2012 after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Starters were baby mussels and bruschetta both lovely. Mains were rib eye steak, asked for it medium rare and that was exactly how it was served, excellent. Other main was lamb shank, again very tender and really nice. Couldn't manage desserts. Wine was pinot grigot reasonably priced and very nice. Would definitely return next time we visit Ambleside.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple