Low Wray National Trust Campsite
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Ambleside
See available hotels
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
The Regent Hotel(Ambleside)
  • Breakfast included
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
View Hotel
All reviewstoilet blockcamping triplakeside pitchwoodland areasite shopwild campingwell stocked shopcanadian canoemain fieldno electricitypizza oventent pitcheslovely sitereception shoplake windermerecamping podsfire pit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is a fantastic site. We booked a large Lake View pitch and had a stunning view across the lake to Ambleside for our 7 night stay. The site ensure all tents are 6m apart, and many pitches were much more spaced out than that. The woodland pitches are smaller but also looked nice.
The facilities were good, cleaned regularly, plenty of hot water in the free showers and even on a busy August weekend I only had to queue once.
The shop caters well for camping equipment, but don't rely on it for food as it stocked very little and was always our of bread, eggs and milk while we were there. The visiting burger van (posher than that really) was very nice and also did home made meals (as long is its beef, pork or lamb from the farm). There is a Tesco express in Ambleside, and a good Chinese takeaway if you don't arrive fully stocked. Ice packs refrozen for you in the shop for 20p each.
Don't go to this site without a canoe, dingy or sail boat as there is a small beach for launching, swimming, dipping your toes in or feeding the ducks! The Canada Geese give a great flying display, and others have complained about thier noise, but I rather miss their honking!
We had a great week and I would definitly go again.

Room Tip: Suggest you go for a Lake view pitch or woodland pitch, the two camping fields away from the lake didn't look as nice!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Glynners
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

We camped at Low Wray for 3 nights. It's quite pricey but worth it for the stunning views and the lake access.
We were lucky enough to have glorious weather, hot and not a drop of rain!
I would have liked my review to be 100% positive as we had a wonderful time but there were a few minor niggles.
We will return but will ask for a pitch away from the toilet block. We were woken very early every morning by people walking past our tent and by the noise of the dyson hand driers in the toilet block. I was disappointed by the cleanliness of the toilets and showers, we kept our crocs/flip flops on to shower as the floor was filthy ( old, ingrained dirt by the look of it ), the water pressure in the shower was very poor, even at quiet times. The toilets were often dirty, unflushed and out of toilet paper. On the plus side, there are power points in the block for hair dryers etc, if you manage to get enough water out of the shower to actually wash your hair!
There is a small shop on site that will refreeze ice packs for a charge of 20p each, very handy to keep everything cool!
This is definitely a site we will return to....with earplugs, babywipes and flip flops!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank AW73
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Camped in a tent for two nights on 7th aug, we had a medium sized pitch which was plenty big enough. Toilets and showers were fine, typical camp site facilities. Can walk to Lake Windermere, but it is very secluded. Not even a pub nearby although the little shop on site is good and the burger van is nice. I enjoyed my stay but it was too secluded for me and my partner! Beautiful place.

Room Tip: Yurts pods and gypsy caravans look great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and children travelled up during the day and I went up after work..my husband had spoken to me when he arrived and said it was a nice spot in the woods.. Which is what we had opted for. He said they had been very helpful and friendly at reception and had said if we needed anything at all then to just ask. When I arrived I realised that we were parked just by our tents which I was surprised about having read Some of the reviews here. The tents were far apart which was great. We were next to a little gypsy style camp which looked really nice for a break with a difference. I did see the tepees which looked fab but close to one another which I would not have liked. We also went to the waters edge and saw people camping there which at first I thought would be great and peaceful. But then realised that it was probably the busiest part with people coming to feed the ducks and everything else. There were a few midges but that was to be expected! I don't understand people who complain about nature... Like midges, darkness and tree stumps/roots and mud! It makes me laugh... Why come camping if you don't like it? Bizarre.... Best couple of nights sleep I've had on a camping trip! And I'm a light sleeper... We will definitely be back....

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank SarDean09
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just returned from amazing escape to low wray. Decided to run away from the big city after a bad week and headed to low wray with a bike and a blow up boat. After an incident on the motorway involving highways police and a dodgy bike rack I was sure my chances of arriving in time for check in were dead in water, that's if there were any spaces left as all websites mention how busy this place gets. Anyway, arriving one minute after closing I was told the site was ful,, however the look of despair must have been evident as the two super nice guys on reception pulled it out the bag and amazingly found me a space for he night. The pitch was totally fine and facilities great, but I was even more impressed with staff attitude the next day when I asked to move to a slightly quieter spot as i was alone and surrounded by fsmilies, so was given several options in the woods in a totally different section of the site that I didnt know existed. The woodland area is fab, quiet, secluded, atmospheric and close to the lake to launch boats, just the job. I would defo return and if they allowed groups of friends I would be back straight away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo