“DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE.........”
Review of Ambleside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Ambleside Lodge
Ranked #100 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Wakefield
“DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE.........”
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We booked a three night stay at the Ambleside Lodge, but after reading negative reviews on TripAdvisor, we felt a bit apprehensive about our stay. How wrong we were to worry!! We had a very warm welcome, and we were told that Penny had upgraded our room, and we had a "gem" of a room. (room 18) The room was enormous and was dominated by a king size 4 poster bed, which was very comfortable.. There was a full size colour television, a table and 2 chairs, as well as a 2 seater settee. There was a large ensuite bathroom, with a jacuzzi bath and a powerful shower over the bath. In the information folder it mentioned not to use the jacuzzi after 10.30pm and not before 8am due to the noise factor, but obviously some people cannot read. We heard a jacuzzi at almost midnight, and one morning at 6am. We had a lovely view of the extensive gardens. We were told that breakfast was between 8.30 and 9am. Breakfast was wonderful. We helped ourselves to cereal, fruit and yoghurt, and found a table for 2. Coffee or tea was offered, with constant refills as required. Fruit juice and toast was brought to our table followed by a full english breakfast of a sausage (my husband would have liked 2, although if he would have asked for 2, I am sure they would have obliged.), 2 rashers of bacon, a fried egg, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans. We were told that if we wanted crockery or cutlery for any takeaways, to ask before 6pm, and if we needed glasses for wine we were told where to find them. Ambleside was 5 minutes walk away, and there were lots of shops, restaurants and takaways. To sum it up, everybody was friendly and helpful, and we would highly recommend this lodge.
Penny & Paul, I have only one suggestion. It would have been nice to have a mini fridge to keep our drinks cold, but hey, everything else was spot on. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
leeds
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Myself and my husband were booked into ambleside lodge for a 3 night stay, after reading some of the reviews i was a little apprehensive, we clearly had nothing to worry about, we got a warm welcome and we were shown to our room which was clean and airy. The location was perfect, a 5 min walk to Ambleside centre and a 5 min walk to the lake side where we caught the ferry to Bowness. We had a fantastic time celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and would recomend Amblesidelodge to any of our friends.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Delhi
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Found very expensive and the worst possible in service. Were made to wait for more than half an hour even for a glass of hot milk on breakfast table. Nothing was there on the counter everything was being asked and then prepared by the same lady and then served very miserly including the juice breads and milk. My wife did not even get hot milk with cereals and did'nt eat anything apart from one banana. We felt totally ignored and unwelcome.

1 Thank self_traveller
ambleside_8, Owner at Ambleside Lodge, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
At Ambleside Lodge as regular guests and the people who take time to write constructive reviews know we provide a waitress service at breakfast. The breakfast bar is situated as you enter the dining room as is full of cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, prunes, and grapefruit. Guests are informed that they may help themselves to these. Milk is available on the tables and if hot milk is requested this is ALWAYS done immediately. The cooked breakfast is not on any "counter" as it is cooked fresh to order. at breakfast we always have three people serving, one person takes the orders , one person serves tea/ coffee/ juice, and the other serves the cooked breakfast. I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Ambleside hotels

midlands
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed here with my wife for 4 nights. I decided to write a review even though it has been well over a year since I have stayed here. I guess the place stuck in mind enough for me to comment.
Overall the stay was average. Food ok, staff polite enough. I do agree about the rooms though. The room we were in was large but not cosy. The heating was off in the day and it was cold! Bathroom was in need of an overhaul.
The spot is great. For a couple of nights then it is fine. It is very pricey though. Don't be mistaken for thinking just because it looks nice outside and it is expensive that it is above average. I would say it is only average.
I do smile though when I read the owners replies. It seems they remember every single customer that has ever stayed at their home. They do not take criticism very well either reading by their replies!
Like I said, ok for a couple of nights but it really is not special. Hope this helps people make up their mind.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rugbylad72
London
Reviewed June 6, 2010

After a horrific experience at Hilton House in Windermere, we managed to find a room in this lovely BNB, located in a quiet area surrounded by trees, only minutes away from the local bus stop in Ambleside.

The room was comfortable and clean, the staff incredibly friendly and helpful.
Definitely a superb and fresh English breakfast.

9/10 and all worth your money.

yorkshire
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Loved this place! We were looking for a one-night stay with our dog on a Sat night in Ambleside and Penny saved our bacon! Most places seemed to want a 2 night stay or don't allow dogs. We stayed in room 17 which had it's own exit so the dog could go to the loo and we were given directions to the park (2 mins away). Ambleside and Waterhead were was 5 mins walk away. The room was huge and spotless and the bed was soooooooooo comfy! The only negative was that the dog wasn't allowed in the breakfast room. We didn't want to leave the dog in the room but again, Penny saved the day by plating up the (delicious) breakfast for me to have in our room. Overall a great stay and definitely a place to return to!

ayrshire
Reviewed April 26, 2010

.We arrived at 9.30pm to a darkened house,and struggled to see the security code to enter.our room looked nothing like the website,however was prepared to overlook this disappointment.There was inadequate wardrobe space ans a damp spot where there was a leak. on returning from our meal out, i had looked forward to a jacuzzi bath. Since the bath taps wouldn't work this couldn't happen. The shower head leaked, and water pressure was poor.Not the luxury romantic break I has expected!Breakfast next morning was poor quality, and on returning to room we overheard another guest complaining to the management about their room, at whiuch point we decided to check out and go elsewhere so as not to spoil our weekend.On returning home I have discovered that the manager had taken £90 out of my bank account without my permission, for the day's stay we didn't have. I called to object strongly and was more or less told where to go.This is clearly common practice going by the other reviews I have since read!My partner is going back to the lakes next weekend for a climb and intends to visit in order to attempt to get our money bacvk. I am concerned that these people hold my account details and are able to take money, without my permission. I intend to contact the Cumbrian Tourist Boatrd to have these people ijnvestigated, as this is clearly how they make their living, charging guests whoi have had to leave to find accomodation of the standard they were led to believe was on offer at the Ambleside Lodge.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hillspectre
ambleside_8, Owner at Ambleside Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2010
I'm sorry you feel that we did not meet your expectations, but I feel that I must strongly dissagree with your comments. when you arrived at 9.30 the outside lights were on on the driveway. There is also a light above the key safe box which provides more than adequate lighting to enter the numbers. All guests are told that if they experience any problems to please telephone us and we will be willing to help. On entering the building there are always lights on. Both the taps work this problem is invented because the reviewer overheard a conversation with another guest who had a genuine problem with their bath taps. (broken split pin inside the tap). The water pressure is excellent. The breakfast is cooked fresh to order with bacon and sausage supplied by Plumgarths. I am responding to this review on the 8th May two week after this stay and despite telephone calls to us informing us that we will be receiving a visit to take back the money paid for the 2 night booking, no such visit has taken place. I am confident that this review is purely ficticious.