“Nice stay”
Review of Ambleside Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Ambleside Lodge
Ranked #100 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just got back from Ambleside Lodge. My husband , my two dogs and I had a pleasant stay. Paul so welcoming. Stayed one night very comfortable room four poster bed n spa bath (fool proof instructions to operate it) good night sleep after busy day. Nice breakfast. Don't understand the comments on previous reviews as Paul and his parents work hard to make your stay a pleasant one. The location is great. We would stay there again. Overall if you want a pleasant stay in Ambleside at a good price stay here. If you want a 5 star hotel book a 5 star hotel and pay more! Anyone who has complained on this site about this lodge is expecting too much for the price paid simple!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Despite negative reviews we could not fault this hotel. Our room was well appointed with modern solid wood furniture. The place was clean and the breakfast which was included in the price a very nice added bonus. The staff were friendly and willing to help. The building is old and therefore there are areas which need somé TLC, but a lot less than other hotels we have stayed in and for a lot more money! The location was excellent within Ambleside as it was quiet and yet still a short stroll to the town centre. Unlike most other B&Bs which were often situated right on the busy one way system through town.
We found Ambleside to be over busy and over priced. Pubs and restaurants were in the main at least double what we anticipated for food and drinks were also inflated. The town was full of bus trips meaning you had to constantly step of the pavement onto busy roads to avoid collissions. If you like outdoor clothing shops then this is definitely the place for you. Will visit this hotel again - but avoid the town centre at all costs.

1 Thank 978jbee978
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Good size room ( No 8)with plenty of space for clothing and nice bath with good hot water. The rooms were spotless although towels not changed for our second night. Bed was very hard and found it hard to get to sleep both nights I stayed there...Had aching pains on my legs till I got home to my own bed. Breakfast was very good and well cooked . Staff (Paul and parents I think) were friendly. Pity that there wasn't a bar and a lounge, as the weather was bad whilst we stayed there. Place was a bit dour and lacked atmosphere.

1 Thank John D
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Big comfy bed in a big comfy room. Nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. Radiator dried our hiking clothing which was useful! Staff friendly and helpful without being intrusive. Breakfast good. Plenty of parking and well placed to wander into town. In fact exactly what you need from a B&B in The Lake District.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable stay in very spacious accommodation with plentiful parking - just a few mins walk from town centre. Breakfast lovely and a rel find at the affordable price. We will be back to stay again. I wasn't expecting much. After reading some of bad reviews but they are poor reflection of reality.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I can't speak for the service that my mum and dad got, as, when my mum called the hotel repeatedly for over a week, emailed and left messages, she was ignored until, finally, she managed to speak to them one Saturday (by the time she managed ton speak to them it was late Sept/early Oct) to book a weekend break for her and my dad. My sister, thoughtfully, had arranged this for their anniversary through KGB deals.

My mum was told that she was not permitted to stay on weekends (although this was not listed in the small print on the voucher) and although there were rooms showing as free online throughout the week throughout October and well into November, she was told that these were not the 'KGB rooms' and even though the voucher stipulated it was valid for a room worth 'up to £270' - she was not able to use this to book any of them. My mum was then told if she paid another £130+ she could have a 'twin room' for her and my dad!! A case of blatant mis-selling!!

After we all sat and read the reviews on trip advisor, I am just thankful my mum and dad never got to visit Ambleside Lodge. I was present when my mum was being spoken to on the phone by staff at the hotel and am shocked at how rude and beyond unhelpful they are! My sister is trying to sort something out through KGB deals but I just hope that, no matter what happens, this terrible hotel will not see a penny of my sister's hard earned money.

10 Thank JenniWren87

Travelers are raving about these Ambleside hotels

Settle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Ambleside Lodge. We stayed on a KGB Deal - 2 people, 2 nights, B&B, £99.00. For the money, it was good value. I wouldn't have wanted to pay the full hotel rate though.

The Lodge is set back from the main road as you head into Ambleside, about a 5 minute walk to the vilage centre. Good location. There is ample parking space.

When we arrived, we were met by Paul who I had read a lot about on reviews before I booked. He was very friendly. But that was the one and only time we saw him all weekend. An older couple (parents possibly?) seemed to run the B&B when we were there and the lady seemed a little miffed on our last morning when my partner asked her for more milk for our room as we had run out. Certainly the lady seemed less friendly at breakfast as a result!

The property is a large detached property and the communal areas are spacious if old fashioned. The property is very dark and not helped by the fact the lights are very dim. In fact the lighting throughout the building was poor, even in our room.

Our room (number 7) was large, with a comfy 4 poster bed. It was a little old fashioned but was perfectly serviceable. It had a private outlook and soem seating.

The bathroom was tired and in need of an update although the water was piping hot, which cant be said for a lot of hotels. The drains smelt a little in the bathroom.

Breakfast was satisfactory although most of it was served to you, with a limited self serve option. But the portions were good and the food tasty.

Use of the nearby spa and leisure facilities at the Salutation hotel was a definite plus point. We enjoyed our visit there.

1 Thank MD-FatDonkey