The Fisherbeck
Queen's Hotel(Ambleside)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgarden roomspa bathwoodside cottageporridgeb bsmoked haddocklake districtboiled eggshotel is spotlessly cleanbreakfast menubreakfast was excellentbreakfast stafffantastic breakcar parkshort walklovely loungeleave your car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The first time we stayed here we were doing a walk for charity and we had to leave early the next morning before breakfast. The hotel were extremely happy to provide a packed lunch for us to take with us on our walk.
We stayed here again in May. We had a delightful room at the front of the hotel with a King size bed/ balcony. It was tastefully decorated with a decent shower and good water pressure. The breakfast was delicious with a great choice on offer, it is all table service which we prefer, everything was piping hot and nicely presented with no over-filled plates etc.
The hotel do a great selection of coffees which you can sit in the lovely sunny sitting room or you can take to your room (as we did).
We're big hiking people and our stuff was pretty muddy/wet at the end ot the day but they were more than happy to take it from us and it came back beautifully dry the next morning.
The owners of this hotel run a tight ship and it shows. Everything is organised, the service efficient and the rooms clean and welcoming. There are lots of hotels in the Lake district but we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and book a kingsize bed.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I chose The Fisherbeck as the main base for my first Lakes visit this year - I've treated myself to a Cartmel Members badge this year - on the basis of other reviews and price and I was not disappointed at all. Warm welcome to start with, excellent cosy single room, excellent staff only too happy to help and really good breakfasts - this is a lovely place to base oneself in the Lakes. Easy to walk to Ambleside pier for Windermere cruises and main shops within walking distance too + it has it's own parking. Definitely recommended and I'll be looking here first for future visits.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ted64_17
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights in one of their Garden Rooms.
A very spacious room, with a wunderful bathroom, great bed, and all the facilities you may need. Spotlessly clean! You can park your car right outside, which also was important to us. The rooms are well insulated, so you get a great night's sleep without any noise.
Do not eat too much at dinnertime, because the breakfast is amazing!
The Owners and staff are very friendly and helpful, and with anything you may ask for, will go out of their way to help.
We loved the place and will certaily be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I recently returned from my second stay at the Fisherbeck, and I hope to be able to stay there again sometime. The management at the Fisherbeck has that magic touch that makes all the guests feel at home. Rooms, common areas, breakfast, and service were all outstanding. Like other guests, we enjoyed the fleet of breakfast staff, who happily and promptly attended to our every need. My elderly mother liked reading near the lovely picture window in the lobby and strolling through town while I walked the fells with my brother. On a rainy morning, we enjoyed the nearby Wordsworth Museum. When the weather cleared, we decided at the last minute to take a long hike, and the staff had no trouble getting some packed lunches together on very short notice. Lots of good restaurants and outdoor stores were within easy walking distance from the hotel. The entire Fisherbeck experience was a pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel staff for advice.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We returned to the Fisherbeck for a second three night stay and it was every bit as good as the first. The hotel is absolutely spotless. The owners and the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location being only a few minutes walk from the town centre and about ten minutes in the opposite direction to the lake and the pier. There is ample car parking. The highlight of this hotel is the breakfast. There is an excellent choice and plenty of well-cooked local food. We would have no qualms about recommending this hotel and will certainly be back on our next visit to the Lake District.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple