“good central base”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Leeds, United Kingdom
“good central base”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the Queens Hotel back in November 2012, we had a beautiful four poster bed and whirlpool bath which were both much appreciated. The room we stayed in had been redecorated and the corridor leading to it and you can tell that when the refurb is complete it will look lovely.
All the members of staff we came across were very friendly and helpful and the food was nice too.
It is very central but does only have a small car park and if thats full parking is a bit of an issue.
We must have picked the coldest weekend of the year and unfortunately the hotel didn't offer as much warmth as we would have liked, I suppose thats because it is an old building and I think to replace the windows would take away some of its charm. Again because of the lack of double glazing we did get a bit of noise from the street at night time.
In all it is a nice friendly place to stay, good value for money, the bed was very comfortable- just remember your hot water bottle during the cold months!

Room Tip: request a four poster bed room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mossysgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I visited The Queens hotel last summer and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and my family did also! The staff are so friendly especially the head bar man, the food was very nice but the office staff were slow and a little bit moody and unfriendly. The rooms could do with a touch up, here and there but overall me and my family enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hotels116
Workington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

For the price paid you could not fault the service, friendliness and quality of the place. I would recommend this place to anyone. You may see that some people say the place is a little dated or the beds are small but I have stayed in all manner of places and never made feel as genuinely welcome as this. The Staff are fantastic and a credit to the place. You can keep all your fancy hand soaps and flair. This place is the tops :)

1 Thank Kieran A
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Booked this hotel a few weeks before we were due to travel to Ambleside. As we were a party of four guys we wanted somewhere to stay after the Hellvelyn walk.
On arrival the hotel was being redecorated but the staff apologised for this and understandably we were aware that a major redecoration was underway. For the price paid the rooms were good and the bar served excellent ale and whisky !
Staff were friendly and could not do enough. The breakfast on the Wednesday morning was very good and the staff attentive in fact they couldnt do enough.

This hotel is set in Ambleside and has some interesting history, it is a very good base indeed to do walks from and also to sample local food. Whilst we were a team of four chaps i would recommend people to give this a try. The management do seem to be listening to peoples views and although they are re-decorating the place at the minute im sure it will be very good indeed when its done.

Room Tip: If youre not sure what you are getting, have a look first!
1 Thank Mick H
Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

4 men needed some where to stay after a walk up Helvellyn, and this place was more than ideal. A previous review says "a basic hotel charging 5* prices". In our experience, the hotel was basic yes, is undergoing some much needed re-decoration, but the staff were warm and friendly, the food was excellent, the choice of ales and whiskeys was more than enough, and for £33/night for B&B, a real bargain. Would we stay there again under the same circumstances? Yes, as it was more than fit for purpose.

1 Thank Paula F
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Compared to the surrounding B&Bs and hotels, I found this little hotel to be the best value. I visited in September with my dad. I probably wasn't paying as much as the visitors in peak tourism season. For an American it is pretty incredible to be staying in a hotel older than my own country. The rooms where basic but clean, the pud was basic but quaint. Since we where there only one night we only had the opportunity to dine in for the breakfast. My dad agrees with me on the fact that is was by far the best full breakfast we had the entire trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex G
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I have never seen a dirtier bathroom than the one in our room. If that alone wasn't enough to put us off, the rooms were TINY, and extremely expensive. Rooms aside, I don't mind paying more for good service, but the staff are not attentive AT ALL. When I wanted to check out, I first had to wait 15+ minutes while the receptionist discussed Christmas turkeys with the cleaning staff, even after she saw me waiting. Very rude and unprofessional. I admit (begrudgingly) that the location is good, but have stayed in nicer, cheaper places in Ambleside that are also central. A truly disappointing hotel experience.

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these Ambleside hotels