“A really great meal in a fantastic setting - definitely recommended”

Sailingdinnercruises
Ranked #73 of 129 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Private Dining
Description: Sailing dinner cruise, is a family run business based on lake Windermere Cumbria. We offer a unique dinning experience second to none, so why not join us for an evening sail with full 4 course dinner and complimentary wine, let all your cares float away as you watch the sun set over the lake…We welcome you aboard at 6.30 pm, and set sail for a short cruise up the lake, taking in some points of interest, whilst heading to a quiet bay where your skipper will drop anchor. Take it all in with a glass of wine on deck, while our top French chef prepares dinner. Relax in the comfort of the luxury salon or sit out on deck, enjoying the view, the choice is yours. This is a not to be missed experience. We also cater for traditional afternoon teas, a 2 hour sail and full English afternoon tea with freshly made sandwiches cakes and cream scones there is no better way to enjoy the beauty of the Lake than on a private yacht with good food.
Reviewed August 30, 2016

I booked this based on other Trip Advisor reviews and I definitely wasn't disappointed! From arrival at the dock, to leaving at the end of the night, we were both looked after really well and had a great evening.

Once on the boat we were given some champagne and plate of nibbles which went down really well as the boat sailed off onto the lake - we anchored down in a quite alcove miles away from anywhere we'd been already and then were invited down into the dining area of the boat to eat. The starters were really good, but the main course was excellent, the fillet steak had by both of us was top notch.

We were allowed to wander around the boat and take photographs while dinner was cleared away and dessert prepared, which was really good as well. Then we sailed slowly back to the dock under a deep red setting sun to bring a great evening to a close.

The all in one price was great and I get the feeling Dave and Veronica buy stuff fresh based on who is attending, so you may be able to influence them if you have specific likes, especially around wines etc but the one they chose for us was good anyway.

The only thing I would say (and it's not a negative) is that it's a small boat and looks like it caters for 2 couples per sailing so be prepared to share this with another couple... the seating is literally as if you had booked a table for 4.... if this isn't for you, make sure you discuss before hand with Veronica. Actually it worked really well on the night for us but may not be every one's cup of tea!

Also ignore the French tag, I think they have undergone a menu revamp recently.

Anyway, great food in a lovely setting with a really nice and welcoming couple in Dave and Veronica, I'd definitely do it again...

2  Thank 709MikeR

Reviewed August 1, 2016

My husband booked this for my birthday on a 3 night stay in Ambleside. I am hard to surprise with my Miss Marple like sense but apart from guessing it wasn't going to be on land I had no other clue as Veronica helped my husband with his espionage! Even though the weather was not at it's best we had a wonderful and memorable evening. Champagne to start with nibbles followed by a delicious 3 course meal and the 2nd best steak I have had ever. We fed the swans with their signets right by the yacht, saw the lake house from a famous "Corrie" episode and enjoyed a warmed brandy to end the evening. Dave and Veronica are very welcoming but give you privacy too and I can highly recommend them.

2  Thank geridave
Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

Great hosts making us feel very welcome. Food was delicious and beautifully served as in a 5 star restaurant. Plenty to eat and good menu to choose from. Would recommend anyone to take the cruise. Would happily do it again if ever this way!

2  Thank kirstenfreeman
Reviewed June 6, 2016

David and Veronica, provided a 1st class evening meal. 3 courses including a bottle of wine. Cruising Lake Windermere was romantic and beautiful. Perfect hosts perfect evening. Didn't want it to end.

1  Thank Donna R
Reviewed September 13, 2015 via mobile

10th wedding anniversary wow what a night , what great food and weather the boat is amazing would go back tomorrow cannot believe how they look after you , get it booked I am very hard to please ask my wife lol and I loved it will definitely be back thanks soooo much to all of you

1  Thank mick s