“An amazing two nights of pure luxury”
Review of Langdale Hotel

Langdale Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I have just stayed two nights at the Langdale , my husband is just getting back on his feet from having a heart attack. So as you can imagine we were ready for a bit of luxury and oh my we were not disappointed. We have stayed here many times and and it recharges our batteries every time. I would like to thank Mr Gavin Lee for talking care of our every need, the staff are very polite and you are made to feel very welcome. We stayed in room 171, we would like to have keep this room a secret, but that would be rather selfish of us. We are already planing a return visit!!!!!!

Room Tip: room 171 overlooks the river
There are newer reviews for Langdale Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Whatever the weather in the lake District you can be sure that its a beautiful place to be, and if you want a bit of luxury thrown in, well the Langdale Hotel provides in spades. The rooms are elegant and fully equipped with everything you need, including the oft needed umbrella! If you like the sound of a river, and we do, ask for a room that over looks, as you get a very nice balcony on which to enjoy a cuppa or something stronger. After a good walk around the Langdales a well deserved soak in the whirlpool bath to get rid of any aches and pains and then dinner in the restaurant. Dinner in the restaurant is of good quality, but the staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble. At breakfast a cheery smile greets you as you start the day. Breakfast is a buffet arrangement, which i'm never too keen on, as the quality drops when food has been left steaming away in a heated container, but hotels seem to insist on this practice. This is the only reason i didn't give 5 stars. Overall, a very good hotel and would recommend any to stay here. BTW, make sure you order your newspaper the night before!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony by the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel before, and was mightily impressed then. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about what to do or where to go locally.
Luckily we were upgraded to a room with a private balcony overlooking the river.
I don't think there was anything to complain about. Food, service, staff, amenities all very good.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Lovely peaceful setting with good food. Must try the 7 course taster menu. Very quiet area set amongst trees, rooms very modern with whirlpool bath and large flat screen TV. Within walking distance of Elterwater Lake which has a nice flat footpath leading round lake. Local pub within minutes walk, although Langdale also have a pub just a few minutes walk. Staff are all friendly and obliging. Only about 5 miles from Ambleside.

Room Tip: Lodges are nearer to restaurant than signature rooms
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I booked through Secret Escapes with friends for a relaxing weekend break before my wedding next week. We stayed for 2 nights with breakfast and a taster menu. The staff at the reception and the breakfast/dining area were absolutely amazing! Their customer service is possibly the best I have ever experienced. Always friendly and nothing was too much for them –we had booked the 7 course taster menu but 2 of the group are vegetarians and the staff had no problem arranging with the chef to substitute the different food for meat-free options. Nothing was too much for them. The rooms were absolutely lovely. We stayed in rooms 121 and 122 and we found them very spacious and the bathrooms were lovely with a great shower and jet bath which was a treat! I had appointments at the spa which was great and was able to change treatments at the last minute as I changed my mind. We went on a walk which had been advised by the hotel, but the walk was more challenging than had been explained by the lady who had suggested it so perhaps it would be best to either ask for more detail on the walk, or come prepared with a route and your own map. We all agreed that we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We recently visited the lakes and stayed at Nanny Brow which was delightful but only offered B&B. When thinking about somewhere to go for dinner in the evening our daughter who had recently stayed at the hotel recommended it for an evening meal and were so happy that she did. When making the reservation I informed them of my allergy to sesame seeds and oil. On arriving for dinner they told me that they had a record of my allergy and advised me of the one item on the menu which I would be unable to have due to the addition of these ingredients. However, they then added that should I particularly wish to have this dish they would prepare one especially for me omitting the ingredients which I was allergic to. In the event I really did want to try this dish and asked if I would be putting then to any trouble to make it for me . I was assured that I was not and was not disappointed when it arrived...it was absolutely delicious. My husband was equally delighted with his choice of starter. The main courses and desserts which followed were equally as good. The standard of service from the professional,but friendly and helpful staff could not be faulted. We are really looking forward to our next visit to this beautiful part of the country and will certainly make a point of eating in the restaurant of this hotel when we do.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We just got back from a long weekend from the Langdale Hotel and Spa. We normally stay at the Waterhead hotel in Ambleside but as it was a last minute booking, they were full. We booked the family room which was perfectly adequate. I wasn't that enamoured with the hotel as it is beginning to show its age. The family room was very "un-inspiring" and the costs in relation to the Waterhead was much higher. The room that we had (156) is in need of some love and attention and was quite dark.
Although the hotel in located in the Langdale valley, its driving distance from Ambleside and Grasmere. The scenery and walks just out of the hotel are absolutely superb. Only downside with these walks is that it does require some uphill walking but once you gain some elevation the view are excellent. We were very fortunate that the weather for once co operated with us and that made the views even better.
The hotel breakfast buffet is very good. The selection is quite large for a hotel in the lakes with fresh fruit. We never ate in the evening at Purdey as i looked at the menu which didn't look all too inspiring plus seemed somewhat expensive.
The hotel supposedly has free WiFi everywhere but somehow everywhere didn't extend to our rooms.
All in all a nice hotel but somehow didn't live upto the billing. Back to the Waterhead.

Room Tip: Try not to get room 156 and get some other family room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!