“"Superb"”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
north east england
“"Superb"”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic food along with fantastic service !!! Chefs sent us a taste of the consommé for the al a carte tmrw just to check it wasn't too strong !! Manager Sarah and Jimmy and James the waiters were so polite and so helpful.
I'm very honest with my reviews and hope that the big bosses realise what a credit the staff are to the company !!!
This trip was through a deal but I would be more than happy to pay full price and we have booked in for evening meal tmrw!!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Manchester
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I booked this as an annivesary treat for me and my boyfriend and was not let down. The room was lovely with a great shower! Bed was lovely and comfy and nice choice of teas and coffees. Staff were friendly and helpful and suggested a lovely walk from the hotel.
We booked in Purdeys for the taster menu which was delicious! My only slight complaint was restaurant was quite cold.
We used the swimming pool which was great and nice and clean.
Our whole stay was lovely and we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Perfect place . stylish rooms, fabulous cooked to order english breakfast- whats not to like!
stunning location , our room felt luxurious. we ate at the pub up tbe road but part if the estate - a nice pub meal. pool
& spa very nice. I loved the place & will definately return.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Jj1066
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

A good hotel with comfortable bedrooms and plenty of facilities - leisure, beauty, pool, etc. Purdey's restaurant with its 2 rosettes is superb and although Wainwright's Pub has an excellent selection of real ales, the food was not such as would tempt me back.
The location of the hotel amidst an attractive time-share complex and leisure club creates an atmosphere of activity. Unfortunately, many of the bedrooms are in a two storey block on the periphery of the developed land and are detached from the reception, restaurants , leisure club, etc. This means a walk in the open wooded estate of about 3 hundred yards to reach the reception, restaurants - a umbrella is provided in the bedrooms.
Room decor is attractive, but dark colours are over emphasised by inadaquate room lighting - 3 downlighters and 3 table lamps. Car parking around the bedroom block is restricted and not easy to access.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the reception building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Langdale is a good hotel in a perfect location and we enjoyed our stay. We made full use of the spa after a long slog up Helvellyn. Even though it was half term the pool was reasonably quiet and the spa area was spotlessly clean. Our room was spacious and clean and warm enough to dry our walking gear. Breakfast was good.

It's not a cheap option but overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my girlfriend here in February in one of the 225 pound a night 'ultimate rooms'. The room was as advertised and impressive, including a huge bed and double bath. We were checked in Quickly and efficiently by Benn at reception and he went out of his way to ensure our stay was comfortable! The pool and jacuzzi are nice and are a good size, even when busy. We also hired the Renault Twizy whilst we were there which was a great add on and treat. The restaurant again is expensive but the quality is good. The room was comfy. Nice bed and good breakfast. More expensive than other hotels in the Lakes but I would say worth the money, we felt looked after and left a tip to reflect this. Very good.

• Stayed February 2013
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I recently holidayed at the Langdale. Really enjoyed it. Stopped in a waterside room which was really nice. It has a button to start and stop the shower without being in the bathroom. I wasnt sure how I felt about this. Initially I was quite impressed reasoning that with normal showers you have to turn the button on which us under the shower head and then when it starts cold water goes on your hands or up your shirt sleave if you have one on. After a long walk I decided to test the start/stop shower technology. I turned the shower on and got in, so far so good. Several seconds later tragedy strikes, the water unexpectedly stops. I swear at the shower control unit a couple of times it makes a few groans in reply before spraying me with a dose of ice cold retribution. This process repeats its self several times. I then become aware of my soon to be ex-girlfriend laughing outside the door. It dawns on me instantly that Id been the victim of a mischeivous prank. Allthough at face value the on/off shower is bit of a novelty I much prefer the normal shower where the user is solely responsilbe for the controls. I feel the hotel should have predicted this and at the very least provided some type of warnning on checking in.

The hotel is expensive. The staff are alright but lack the sense of attentitiveness one might expect for a hotel in this price bracket. Difficult to put your finger on exactly why, they just didnt seem that bothered.

My ex-girlfriend really likes hotel breakfast and is a bit of an expert. Its a usual hotel breakfast set up decent continental, cooked plus pastry. Good selection of fruit juices but there toaster was below par.

In summary, excellent location, lovely room with a homely but runined by ill thoughout plumbing but ulimtaley of questionable value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!