“Great location”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
London, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in a lodge for a long weekend and had a great time despite the weather. The lodge itself was a bit odd in that parts of it had been done up (very snazzy main bathroom for example) but the main living area was a bit dated - comfortable and clean though.
The upside down layout did mean that the bedrooms were very dark so even in the middle of the day you needed the lights on down there - just an observation. Actually the lodge overall was quite dark at it was right on the water and overhung by lots of tree cover.
These minor whinges aside we had a great time; the staff in the hotel were always helpful and happy to provide advice on which walks were best suited to toddlers and what to do when it rained and we needed something indoors (went to the Beatrix Potter museum and the motor museum - both good value and the motor musuem in particular was ideal for filling a couple of hours on a wet morning).
The facilities in the hotel were also very good - we used the pool every day and took advantage of the childrens indoor playroom (in the old squash court).
We did not eat in the main restaurant but had a couple of meals in the bistro by the spa; both of which were fine - reasonably priced and served quickly.
We will certainly go back as we find this type of accomodation with self catering lodges in the grounds of a hotel with all the facilities works really well with young families.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Leeds
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel set in nice grounds. Weather was terrible when we stayed and we forgot our costume which was a shame as pool looked beautiful and would have been a nice way to pass the afternoon. As the hotel is in the middle of nowhere if you want to do something then you need to drive to the nearest village. The room 135 which was in a separate outbuilding was a nice surprise as was better than it looked from the outside. Everything you would need in the room although a bottle of mineral water would have been nice. The decor was cosy and the room spotless. The biscuits was a nice touch along with a card congratulating myself and my husband as we had just got married a few days ago. The receptionist on arrival was very helpful however the one when checking out didn't even ask how our stay was!! The breakfast menu is vast and the good was cooked to a high standard. Would stay again however would hope for better weather so could explore the lovely grounds. Would also like to stay in the main building rather than be in an outbuilding.

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here lots over the years and planning on booking again soon!
Room 105 fab! It's like Alice in wonderland with a fab bathroom!
I agree with lots if the comments on here, service goes in noticed which I like but the under floor heating in the bathroom didn't work and no one came to fix it!
Pools great but does get busy! Spa treatments however are superb! Best facial and back massage ever! It's my fab spa by far! Girls in there are so friendly!
Checking in and out is no frills and has never been over friendly!
Haven't tried their Internet but great location and their 'special rooms' are lovely!
It's modern, clean but no frills service! I still recommend to people! I'm never disappointed when I leave but there is definately something lacking and I think it's a staff thing! A smile goes a long way!

Breakfasts fab tho you can tell they use good suppliers!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Nicola L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We came here for a relaxing break and certainly had one! The hotel is in the heart of the lake district and in close vicinity of walks for walkers of all standards. We were blessed with sunny weather which made idyllic setting even nicer! The room was cosy, with a lovely bathroom? Service was good but not upto 5 star standards. Swimming pool was a really nice size.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel simply by looking at the website, I hadn't read any reviews on the place or area so I wasn't sure what to expect but the hotel and surrounding area was perfect in every way! We stayed in room 105 which is a stunning well designed room, the staff are more than helpful and polite and have a great knowledge of their area whether it be spa, restaurant or reception. My partner and I went for the tasting menu in purdey's restaurant which is a lovely way of trying very different aspects of the menu. My partner and I will definitely stay at the langdale again.

• Stayed September 2012
Horwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had been very ill and had viral meningitis at end of July. I had been waiting to feel better enough to celebrate my 10th anniversary with my husband. The usual places I stay were booked up, so I decided to try the hotel on a recommendation.
I would normally stay all weekend on any booking but as I had been poorly I went for one night just in case it was too much for me.
We arrived at the hotel at 4 ish, booked into room 104 one of their luxury rooms.
The room was inviting and on first glance clean. On further inspection the whole of the headboard had dead skin cells (dust) on the recesses where the buttons were,there was a fan whirling outside which we later realised was the restaurant, this was very noisy even with windows shut you could hear and feel vibration from fan. This went on all night.
The meal we had at the restaurant Purdeys was dreadful, over priced, tastless, the atmosphere was that I can imagine of an old people's home, cold, uninviting and no ambience at all.
The after effects of meal were not only stomach aches but to add to it all we were up all night not only with slamming doors and people talking in the hallway until way after 2am.
Breakfast was appalling we were charged 30 pounds for having it in our room. Toast cold, bacon underdone, sausages burnt I could go on... If you read my other reviews I am not a moaner at all. On booking out I handed in a comment slip with all of the above on and told the lady who booked us out who seemed not at all interested or apologetic. I came away more tired and very upset and wasted a lot of Money for what I thought would be a lovely relaxing evening with my husband.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Sarah W
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights with some friends for my first ever trip to the Lake District - blimey can it rain there! For this reason the spa is a lovely diversion from the rain, endless walking and then more rain. Whilst the rooms were nice there wasn't really anywhere for you to leave wet or muddy clothes and although the room inside was nicely decorated and comfy, ours had a poor view.
Overall the staff were nice just ineffiecent upon check in when they let us check in, then watched us lug all of our luggage from the car into reception only to then tell us that we needed to get back in the car and drive around to another block where our room entrance was - not the greatest of starts!
Breakfast had good food but the service was hard work as they were super busy but by the evening the ambiance and the service is far better and the food was really nice [think everyone goes to bed early].
Apparently its a great location [accorrding to all of my walking friends] but there was also a couple of nice pubs within a reasonable distance - just to break up the endless fields and hills!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#19 of 20 in Windermere
Glen Rothay Hotel
Glen Rothay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rydal

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!