“A lovely well earned break, BUT......”
Review of Langdale Hotel

Langdale Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Bury, United Kingdom
“A lovely well earned break, BUT......”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

After several years of long weekends mainly staying in Bowness/Windermere we decided on a complete change and headed for Langdale. We'd heard lots of good reports in the past and it was on our 'to do' list.
The location and surrounding area is stunningly beautiful, and the avid walker would be in their absolute element.
Having said that, I do agree with previous reviews that the Hotel itself is looking very tired and in need of a facelift.
We ate in Purdey's on our first night, based on the reviews. The food was very good indeed and was in keeping with a modern fine dining establishment. The decor let it down however. I could have been in the Mash & Barrell at one of the Haven sites to be honest. There was nothing special about the furniture or carpetting, and I would've liked there to have been table cloths for dinner. This room is used for the buffet breakfast in the morning and so I wanted the experience to feel like a treat, but it didn't - and it is quite pricey. £50 for a tiny Beef Wellington based on 2 sharing.
Breakfast is very good.
We had a couple of drinks in Hobson's Bar, which is a nice area except for the decor and grubby seating, again needs updating! The cocktails were wonderful, although they were a long time in coming.
Our room was a Waterside feature room. We too thought the mural on the ceiling was upside down!!
Initially we thought it was quite quaint and sat out on the balcony reading on the first evening listening to the trickling of the river over the rocks. However the second night, we were awoken at 4am in the morning by loud water crashing noises. It must have been raining and the effect on the river was unreal! We both plugged our ears with cotton wool and made the best of it, but it was so loud we never managed to get back to sleep. Had it not been our last night, i would have asked to be moved.
Wainwrights was good, a little cosy and pricey for pub food (£17 for lamb shoulder with mash & veg) but we enjoyed it.
Did not use the Spa facilities or pool, and only had a glass of wine by the pond at the Terrace Bar which was nice. We ordered a packed lunch for our walk which was quite good value (a sandwich, yoghurt, muffin, chocolate bar, crisps, fruit juice & water) £15 for 2 people.
All in all a chilled & relaxed weekend.
As an aside, anyone intending to climb Crinkle Crags, be aware that the weather can change very quickly - we had a couple of scary moments with low visibility but more of an issue was the very high winds along the ridge.

Room Tip: Depending on when you go, do not go far a waterside room - unbelievably noisy when the river is runn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Langdale Spa has been one of those places thats been on the to stay list ,,,,I must admit the setting is beautiful the location is to die for,but i wish i could experienced the same inside....Dated & Tired especially the Terrace Restaurant it was like sitting in what once was the gym with absolutely no atmosphere more like a canteen , food ? well i'd give that 5/10 ,Wine? well that was warm!!! even after asking for a colder one ,that was the same...eventually it chilled with plenty of ice!!!! Staff? um not really interested ....!!!!!
Rubbish buffet style breakfast .COLD!!!!!!! why in a place like that cant they make fresh?
But least the bed was comfy!!!!!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Langdale Hotel and Spa is excellent in many respects it projects itself as 5* but because it lets itself down in important areas it is only a 3* and the cost is unjustifiably high.

Food (excluding breakfast), location and Spa are excellent. Issues that are of concern and that are disappointing are:

Service is poor except for dinner at Purdey's Restaurant. In Hobson's Bar our order was forgotten and in Wainwrights', although the food was extremeny tasty, we had to remind the staff of our order as 2 groups (1 of 3 and the 2nd of 4 ie 7 meals) who had placed food orders after us were served before us.

Personal security was compromised in the ground floor room we occupied because the single window could not be left opened and access to the room from outside was without difficulty. As a consequence the room became stuffy and uncomfortable during the night. In this particular there was no effective natural light.

In the room there were no drying or hanging facilities for wet clothing.

To use the safe we had to kneel down and bend forward to the floor as the safe had been placed in a rear back corner of a cupboard.

The restaurant manager who was on duty at breakfast addressed us by our room number eventhough he asked us our names which he crossed out on a typed list.

As a guest you are asked to complete a survey and one of the first questions asked is about 1st impressions. Approaching and on arrival as you drive in you cannot but admire the surroundings but the reception is area is 'dull', the staff uniform is uninspiring and 'untidy', the male receptionist was scruffy and had difficulty smiling. Perhaps it was an 'off day'.

We would recommend but with reservations.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not on the ground floor and facing the main drive/road to reception and the Country Cl...
1 Thank MRBS123
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We decided to have some food in the terrace hotel as we were staying two minutes away above a pub. I ordered the spaghetti and meat balls and the food was really nice and you get a huge portion, we all loved our food, I would highly recommend going to the restaurant. And the waiter was also very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Quatie
Yorkshire
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have just got back from staying at the Langdale, it was booked as a surprise by my boyfriend as a treat, we have a 10 week old baby and needed a night off! Firstly the reception announced the price of the room on arrival, so I found out it was £155 for a standard double on a Monday night. This included breakfast. The room was very badly designed, worn furniture, carpet not properly hoovered and the bathroom was old fashioned and didn't flow with the interior of the bedroom. The best bit about the bathroom was the jacuzzi tub.

We dropped off our things then went for lunch at the wainwrights pub. This could be a fab little place but again was tired and depressing. We thought it would be like a bistro pub with log fires etc!!Lunch was a sarnie, which was average.

We then went to the spa area, nothing to rave about, not luxurious or special, very small, Full of kids, no where to sit as only a few chairs around the pool. I had a body massage booked which was nice, but again just average. On leaving the spa, when I thanked the therapist and said my goodbyes she didn't even look up from the computer! Charming!

By this time it was 8ish. We had booked the a la carte restaurant,Purdeys, but decided to change to the Terrace as it had a nicer view and feel to it. Big mistake, food was shocking! When we mentioned it was disappointing, we were asked if we wanted a dessert or coffee! No apology was made and no one else came over to see what was wrong. By this time my boyfriend looked absolutely gutted! So I decided to sneak off and tell the manager. The guy on duty when I explained how disappointed I was, jumped to the hotels defence. He informed me that the price is for the location and I was quite happy to go and find somewhere else. The lake district is on par with london and is one of the most expensive areas in the country! Now, I travel a lot with my job and have stayed in some amazing hotels in London and around the world for approx the same cost and there is no comparison! I went on to explain I was bringing up these points at the time, rather than at check out and I could quite easily have said nothing and write a review on trip advisor! His response ' I normally stick two fingers up to people who mention trip advisor and tell them to do one'! With that comment I knew I was definitely going to write this review! We have had a reallly bad year and just wanted a lovely break, I had to fight back the tears when I was arguing with him. He did eventually apologise and removed the food from our bill. He also sent a bottle of champagne to the room, which he didn't need to do, but by this time we just wanted to leave. We then looked on this site and wished we had read the reviews before booking. I need to add the website looks amazing but doesn't fit what you see.

In the morning, went to breakfast which was good, full English, fruit, cereal, croissants.

To top it all off the cleaner walked in on me naked and then reception phoned up to see when we were checking out.If the shower wasn't a dribble it wouldn't have taken me 20 mins to get the soap out of my hair, which made us late!

We will never stay here again, feel abused, ripped off and was glad to get back home! The best bit about the stay was seeing the exit sign on the way out.

6 Thank TDBLEEDS
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Booked a self-catering lodge holiday for 3 adults and 3 children in middle of July. Very disappointing as there are very few activities for children. Since booking several months ago I had phoned about 4 times re children's activities and had been told they were in the process of finalising them. Sent an e-mail asking for info few days before arriving and got no response. Spoke to Duty Manager on first night and the excuse was that the Marketing Manager was now part time and were in transition with the new Manager. She said she would speak to the Marketing Dept and come back to me. Four days into holiday and no-one has came back to me yet! Very surprised also to find that we have been allocated only one bath towel and one hand towel each for one week's stay. Also there are £2 charges for each bath towel for the swimming pool. This is certainly not five or even four star service. Had to ask for and chase up extra towels. Langdale certainly has a lot of positives etc but perhaps are now resting on their laurels. They need to seriously up their game with regard to customer service, communication and marketing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary C
Scotland
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I booked the Langdale hotel and spa for 2 nights away at the beginning of July and we'd seen their website and thought it looked incredible and just what we were looking for. My wife called ahead of our arrival and booked a Made to Measure massage for both of us at the same time.
From the second we arrived we were under whelmed unfortunately. We had paid £155 a night for a signature room on a B&B basis. Our room, which was separate from the hotel, hidden away down a small corridor, was quite small and the majority of the room was filled with a superking bed - which was really comfy! The bathroom had an air bath in it which was a good novelty.

We headed along to the spa and were met by a pool filled with kids - not what we expected from a Spa hotel. 2 years ago we went to our first Spa hotel in northern Ireland called Galgorm - this is where our expectations lay for a Spa retreat and Langdale didn't come close unfortunately, All we wanted to do was get out of the hotel so we headed to Ambleside for the rest of the day which was fab. A stunning little village with great shops & great food.

THe next morning we went for Breakfast which was lovely - beautifully cooked. We then headed for our massage only to be told that they had mucked up the booking and couldn't take us both at the same time, so we took it in turns instead. The massage was good and really helped us to relax, although during the massage the relaxation was disturbed by telephones ringing in the background, people talking in the spa reception and the noise from the busy swimming pool down below. This didn't happen at Galgorm! SO once we had had our massages it was back to Ambleside for the rest of the day.

Our final observation was that only 1 in 4 staff members said hello, asked how we were enjoying our stay, thanked us for coming. Although Langdale is 4* hotel, we felt it lacked any 4* finesse. The website over sells what the reality is when you arrive. Unfortunately we won't be back to Langdale, we'll probably save our pennies for a ferry crossing to Galgorm in Northern Ireland.

3 Thank Duncan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Langdale Hotel? Share your experiences!