“Lovely owners, Comfortable room and yummy breakfasts..”
Review of Brantfell House

Brantfell House
Ranked #52 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
home
“Lovely owners, Comfortable room and yummy breakfasts..”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I have just gotten back today from staying 3 nights at Brantfell House. I would really like to say that I couldn't have picked a nicer place to stay. I was greeted warmly on my first day and showed to my room. It was a single, but had a very comfy double bed and ensuite. I couldn't have asked for more. I slept very well each night.

I was spoiled by the delicious breakfast each morning, a menu that was as long as my arm! You are able to have anything you wish...The breakfast is tasty and generous and definitely sets you up for a day of exploring. Lovely fresh fruit, tasty bread, eggs, sausages etc..Yummy!

Today, as I said good bye to the Lake District, I had an early-ish train to catch in Winderemere. The buses being on a holiday service, wouldn't get me there on time. As a result I asked Jane for taxi numbers. Her husband, Chris, said that I may not get a taxi on a bank holiday, and thus offered to drive me to the station after breakfast. This is certainly something I did not expect, but appreciated it immensely. Would have been a very long walk otherwise!

So thank you Chris and Jane for a lovely stay and for your kindness! Perfect hosts that went out of there way!

Sandra :o)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank smb1973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I would have no hesitation in recommending a stay at Brantfell House - Chris and Jane were extremely warm and welcoming, the rooms were lovely, clean, decently priced and well furnished and the breakfasts were just brilliant. There was also a lounge area that guests were welcome to use which made you feel even more at home. The venomous review below is definitely not a reflection on the standard of service you will receive at Brantfell House. I will definitely be returning to Brantfell House on my next visit to the Lake District.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Russe1982
Glasgow
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My wife and I were totally disgusted with the treatment that we received from Brantfell House. In the winter we were unable to go to the lake district as we were snowed in (Kirkintilloch, Glasgow) - as were many other people, we telephoned Brantfell House and explained we were stuck and would not arrive, we had paid £100 deposit and thought we would loose our deposit through no fault of our own, but, we arranged another date with them for February, but unfortunately due to work commitments and family emergency we could not make this either but were quite happy to loose the £100 deposit for the hotels inconvenience - NOT SO - they went into our account and took the other £180 without mine or my wife's authorisation. they said they phoned us, which they did and were quite rude on the phone to the point we thought ok fair enough, they can keep the £100 deposit and forget it, then they took the further £180 - WITHOUT AUTHORISATION FROM US!!!!,
In our opinion nobody should be able to take money from our personal bank account. We are writing this to make other people aware of what the owners of Brantfell house will do. The woman I spoke to regarding this matter also threatened to sue me for slander and abuse as I did say I would write a review about this, at no point did I raise my voice or be abusive, quite the opposite.
My wife and I have been visiting the Lakes for many years and I can assure people I will never again book online or give my bank details online and both my wife and I will certainly NEVER recommend Brantfell House to anyone, the experience we have had has been appalling and we will be taking this further with trading standards and also the tourist board. Please be very cautious if going anywhere near Brantfell House.
Mrs & Mrs Clark
Glasgow

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sam649us
brantfell, Owner at Brantfell House, responded to this review, April 2, 2011
This is a review of our cancellation policy and not a stay. These people cancelled one 3 night stay at very short notice and failed to turn up for, or phone to cancel, a second 3 night stay. The total loss to us was £570 but only £280 was recouped in accordance with our published terms & conditions. Having waited until after 10pm for them to arrive on 17 February, a call was made to the number supplied, expressing concern and asking them to phone us. It was not rude, because we still expected them to arrive at any time and they would have been most welcome. We very much regret having to implement our cancellation policy but, we have a responsibility to operate a viable business. We have staff to pay as well as numerous other business costs. We cannot afford the luxury of reserving rooms for guests who are under the misapprehension that they should not have to pay should they decide simply not to turn up. No call whatsoever was received until 2 days after the balance of their stay was charged, using the card details they had furnished us with. One of these ladies phoned and subjected one of us to the most vile and threatening abuse imaginable. She would not listen to reason, despite being told that, if Trading Standards said we should repay her, we would. We even begged her to seek their advice. She said that she intended to post comments on every internet forum she could, with the intention of destroying our reputation and future business. We are sure that this contravenes Section 21 of the Theft Act 1968. At no time were we informed of their reasons for not turning up, or calling us, before we read this review. Our advice to these ladies is to consult with a Citizens Advice Bureau, Trading Standards, and their bank/credit card provider, bearing in mind that they entered into a legally binding contract and, our cancellation policy is available for all to see on our web-site as well as the internet booking site through which they made their original booking. TripAdvisor is the first site we have identified where we have been vilified by one or both of these ladies and, we will discuss this with our MP, in view of recent draft legislation relating to defamation via the internet.
Chris and Jane Amos, Owners
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Jane the owner (with husband Chris) treated us as returning family despite this being our first visit and we only booked that morning on booking.com as a last minute plan. She offered us a free upgrade to the suite (we booked a double room) which was cosy, warm and with lovely views out across the snowy sight of Ambleside.

The room was comfortable, the shower was amazing and there is plenty of tea and coffee. The bed was two singles melded together but you couldn't really tell. The breakfast was the best thing, the longest list of choices I have ever seen from full english to pancakes and bacon with maple syrup all made fresh by Jane. Also free wifi, a quests lounge with big tv. flat screen tv in the room too with dvd player. Free parking out the back space enough for a couple of cars.

Would highly recommend this place, my girlfriend and I had a lovely few days here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2010

This lovely B&B is centrally located in Ambleside within easy walking of all shopping and restaurants. Chis & Jane the hosts are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble. We stayed 4 nights in total and would not hesitate to return. Most memorable were the breakfasts which were varied, delicious and HUGE. Rooms were good size spotless and comfortable, bathroom likewise.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Billy301198
Hampshire
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We booked Brantfell based on reviews from Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. Chris and Jane offer a warm and friendly welcome, and our room (we opted for one of the larger ones) was very well appointed and clean with tasteful contemporary decor and a very nice bathroom with a large, powerful shower. There were plenty of welcome 'extras' (tissues, shower gel etc.) and ample tea and coffee. Everything has been done with quality and thoughtfulness. But where Brantfell surpasses is breakfast - we honestly think this is the best cooked breakfast we have had anywhere. Choose from an extensive selection and you are presented with high quality ingredients cooked to perfection - and to order. And proper toast from bread that hasn't been pre-sliced. A nice touch was the toaster in the breakfast room allowing you to make your own extra toast if wanted. It was enough to keep us going all day on the fells. Our dog even had his own breakfast sausage which he was very grateful for. Brantfell is on the main road, and traffic through Ambleside is busy in the day it was fairly quiet at night and it wasn't going to prevent us from sleeping after a day spent walking in the fells. Very handy for shops and restaurants and two minutes walk from the excellent Tagore Indian restaurant. We plan to book for next year and wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Thanks Chris and Jane, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
bolton
Reviewed August 2, 2010

having just got back we felt we needed to pass on to others what alovely hotel this is. Ideal for those wishing to choose a child free environment . Rooms are well apointed and very comfortable .Breakfast is excellent and nothing is too much trouble for the owners. Even keeping my daughters medication in the fridge and reminding her to take it!! Good central location only downside I could think of and its just a personal thing was the lounge area needed some pictures as it looked alittle bare and curtains in front bedroom could have done with lining with black out materials as the streetlight outside lit the bedroom alnight

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family