We had read the previous reviews regarding this hotel and were a bit worried but needn't have been at all. I can see what people mean when they say places need updating but couldn't we say that about everywhere? Our arrival was handled in a friendly, helpful way and our room was delightful with a huge bed, lovely clean linens, fluffy towels and a good supply of toiletries and courtesy tray biscuits etc. Unlike the last place we stayed - which was more expensive and rated more highly by reviewers on this site - the tray was refreshed fully each day and more importantly the Skelwith Bridge was CLEAN.
The food was amazing with some unusual twists on classics - simply delicious. The home made ice cream tempted me to try it again the second night and I'm not really an ice cream fan!
The staff were a delightful mix of nationalities who all brought their own personalities to our stay making us feel welcome and valued.
Our dog was also made welcome and for our meals we were given a table in the snug which was set with the same linen and crockery as the main dining room so we felt valued even though we had the dog with us. The last 'dog friendly' place we stayed made us feel so uncomfortable that we will not return there but we will be back to the Skelwith Bridge ASAP.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly located just a short drive from Ambleside, away from the hustle and bustle is Skelwith Bridge. Informal gardens merging seamlessly with the surrounding countryside, real log fires in the winter months and a traditional welcome, Skelwith bridge Hotel really is "your home away from home" The hotel boasts 28 bedrooms, all en-suite and all retaining the character of the original building. We are pleased to offer single, twin, double and king sized rooms available for bed and breakfast or dinner bed and breakfast at fantastically affordable prices all year round. We welcome a whole host of families with children young and old, couples, singles and four legged friends too! The hotel is a fell walkers paradise with many varied easy and more strenuous walks from our doorstep! We even have a drying room available for those wet days ... not that we have too many of those in The Lakes! A host of attractions and other activities are just a short drive or bus ride away including sailing, cycling, mountain biking, fishing, bird watching, golf, shopping, bars and restaurants, the historic houses of Wordsworth, Beatrix Potter and Ruskin, the market towns of Keswick and Kendal, Grasmere and its world famous gingerbread, Take a cruise on the lakes with the steamers, the lakes aquarium at lakeside, traditional steam railway at Haverthwaite, Manicured gardens at Holker hall, and many more attractions too numerous to list! Our reception staff are always happy to suggest local attractions or walks and we have lots of information in our showcase at reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Skelwith Bridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skelwith Bridge Ambleside
- Hotel Skelwith Bridge
- Skelwith Bridge Hotel Ambleside, Lake District