“Hard to beat. Cheap, warm, clean, friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Ambleside Backpackers
Daventry
“Hard to beat. Cheap, warm, clean, friendly”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Have used this quite a few times and the experience is always the same. Great location, nicely run - friendly with sensible rules. Variety of room sizes make for very flexible accommodation, never had any problems whatsoever. Simple toast/tea/cereal etc breakfast included but full kitchen facilities if you would like to cook. Full of smiley people from all over the globe - well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sunderland
Reviewed June 8, 2012

great clean bunkhouse in a town centre location,staff helpful with good facilities...went with a couple of mates for a catch up so no gripes...can get noisy later into the night so probably wouldnt go with the family

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Iveing, Owner at Ambleside Backpackers, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hi
Sorry your night was disturbed, we normally have quite good quiet here after 11pm, but just occasonally we get someone who causes a bit of a disturbance. Come and have another go!
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed here the first night of Bank Holiday as a solo traveller. I had been looking for a B and B but with quotes coming in around £100.00 mark, I decided to knock on door and ask if they have a bed. The location was spot on - a quiet corner just away from the hustle and bustle of the centre but 5 mins walk from shops. At £19.50 for bed, light breakfast, sheet and towel - the price was great. First impression, the hostel was clean and comfy. Cooking facilities very good and plentiful variety of teas, fruit teas, coffee and milk to help yourself to (fresh milk - not horrible cartons). The room had plenty of space and I shared with one other girl. The rules were not onerous...no curfew / but try to keep noise down so that people can sleep after 11.30. This is a well organised, welcoming hostel and I have no doubt that I'll return soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank HeatherM199
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This is a great place to stay in the Lake District. The hostel is comfortable, homely, clean and very well maintained. Staff are wonderfully helpful and the kitchen spacious with plenty of storage space. For hikers and outdoors lovers you really can't beat the Ambleside location.

All in all I can't really find fault with this place. OK - parking is very limited but you can find a spot just around the corner so it is no great hardship to walk 2 minutes to the hostel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed here as cheapest place that came up on laterooms. Was good. Wierd bed sheet make up which was uncomfatable but nice clean good breakfast and nice atmosphere. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012
Readfield, Maine
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed at Ambleside Backpackers for a week in January while I walked and explored in the Lakes. The staff were all super friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful and went out of the way to make sure I had all the information and resources I needed to have a great experience while I was there. The bus stop, the shops and restaurants in town, and the heads of various walking trails and footpaths were all easily accessible on foot. The hostel was very clean, the lounge and dining room were comfortable and nice, and the kitchen was large and well set up for guest use. There were only a few other people staying at the hostel when I was there, so I suppose it might feel pretty different at other times (and my 6-bed dorm would have felt a bit cramped if it had been full, though no more than many other hostels), but in my stay I found it a very relaxed, quiet, pleasant environment; the other travelers were of a variety of ages but all more interested in being outdoors and enjoying the beauty of the Lakes than partying into the wee hours. Overall this was one of my best hosteling experiences yet!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Booked in to stay here for a week during Easter holidays. We had a number of queries before booking and the staff were really helpful on the phone - to the extent that one member even gave us our bus times! I booked into the two bed private bunk room with my 8 year old daughter.The room was clean and tidy and had a fair amount of space for all of our stuff. It had a great view out towards Loughrigg Fell which was lovely to see every morning.

When we arrived we were greeted by the manager who was helpful and friendly and explained everything to us. The kitchen was fairly big, and next door there was a dining room big enough to seat most of the guests. The kitchen had two large fridges which were never full & also a storage area for your food when you could label a basket to use to put things in. There was constant boiling water on tap for the free tea and coffee (which included fruit and mint tea for us non caffeine drinkers) and also chilled milk on tap for drinks and cereal. Included in the price was cereal, toast and porridge so it was easy to fill up without having to spend money on breakfast provisions.

We were lucky when we stayed that there were also other families staying there so my daughter enjoyed making friends and playing board games with people (there are plenty to borrow). There is a large lounge with sofas, chairs, a piano and electric fire. The lounge also had a television and there is a computer with internet in the reception area. The whole hostel has Wifi which would could get signal for in our rooms and in the downstairs area.

On our floor there was two ladies toilets and four showers. The showers were split into two shower rooms. Once shower room (with the curtains) was excellent - nice and hot showers on both occasions we used it. The other shower room I could not get the second shower to be hot enough. It was not an issue as we could share the shower which was hot and I'm sure the management would have looked into it if we had mentioned the issue.

As mentioned on their website the hostel is a little old and creaky. The only small improvement I would suggest to them would be to oil or put some WD40 on the doors to resolve the squeking they make when opened. The walls of the hostel are pretty thick so we couldn't hear any noise from the floor above or the lounge downstairs. During the week the hostel was very quiet with barely any noise after 11pm. During the weekend there was one occasion where people were noisy upstairs at about 1am, which was a shame, especially when there is a lounge where people can go to talk etc. Again when we mentioned any issue to the hostel they agreed to speak to anyone concerned if it was an issue again. Compared to other places we have stayed it was very quiet and had much more of a family feel to it.

The location itself was great - set into a backstreet of Ambleside it was near the bustle of the main shopping area, but close enough that you could be there in 5 minutes. There are sandwhich shops near by - and a Gregs for those who like to be a bit lazy when packing your bags for walking. Ambleside has a mini golf, climbing wall, really good kids soft play & plenty of shops so loads to do if the weather is poor. Walking wise there are plenty of easy walks in short distance ideal for families - Loughrigg Fell, Wansfell, Rydal Cave, Stock Ghyll Falls and also plenty of longer walks for more hardened walkers. We were about a 15 minute drive from Coniston so we did a fair amount of walking there too.

Parking wise there is no parking for the hostel. There are about 5 spaces outside on the road which we managed to use during the week. During the weekend we parked in a residential street which was only a few minutes ago.

There is a drying room in the hostel which is to the right of the entrance. Its very big and there's plenty of room for everyone's wet things. You can use a booster to utilise 12 hrs of drying - I think it cost £2 for a token, but we didn't need to use it as the hostel was warm enough that the things dried naturally. They had newspaper to stuff boots with which was also very handy! I did not use it but there is also a washing machine, iron, ironing board etc in a utility room.

I'd certainly return to this hostel and would recomend it to others. It was our first time staying in a hostel with my daughter and I wasn't sure how it would work out, but it was great. I got the impression that the staff were very knowledgeable about the local area, and nothing was too much trouble. I have never stayed in such a clean and tidy place either. 5 stars!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family