“Lived up to our high expectations”
Review of Atelier - CLOSED

Atelier
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked Atelier in Ambleside after reading so may great reviews and we were not disappointed. This is a gem of a restaurant that we hope keeps it's standards so wonderfully high. As foodies, the place we eat can make or break out weekend away and we spend as much time researching our evening meal venues as we do a hotel! Everything was divine, from the starter to desserts. My husband had tiger prawns that looked wonderful - and he assured me they were - but unfortunately I couldn't taste because of an allergy. My main course of lamb and his of steak was really tasty and so tender. The desserts blew us away - get the assiette so you can try several. The wine we had was great and well priced - a gutsy cote du rhone that packed a punch and paired well with the main course. The only thing I can think of that could improve (but it wouldn't stop us returning) is the wine list could be a bit longer. The wines that were there though, were well chosen and excellent value. Fantastic, we'll be back.

1  Thank Mary64
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

The Writer remembers you - lovely couple.
What a marvelous review. Totally agree with you that lovely food is a vital contribution to one's holiday, and atelier is delighted to have been a positive, memorable experience.
A gargantuan thank you for the approbation/recommendation.
Come and see us soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Booked a table here a week before we arrived in Ambleside.Good job we did as it is almost always fully booked.On arrival we were greeted and shown to our table.I had a glass of house red which was very good.My wife had a vodka and tonic which she said was spot on.I opted not to go for a starter and went straight for the lamb.Cooked to perfection with a red wine jus and parsnip mash. My wife opted for one of the specials, pork medallions on puy lentils.This was also superb according to my wife.For pudding,my wife had the creme brulee.I had the white chocolate and strawberry souffle.15 minute wait but when it arrived it was absolutely gorgeous.Everything about our meal was first class,the service,food atmosphere.We cannot fault anything about Atelier.I imagine it won't be long until we return.Thank you.

1  Thank Andy10142
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Flattery will get you everywhere!!
Your review is like a breath of fresh air to all at atelier. COLOSSAL gratitude is sent your way for such awesome superlatives.
See you soon

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We "discovered" Atelier last year about this time on spec and had 2 lovely meals. So on our first night this year where else to go? It was a pleasure to discover little had changed. Friendly welcome and unobtrusive service with that unique quirkiness. I had the special of fish soup to start with which had strong fish flavours and full of prawns and seafood on the shell. Linda had crab and fishcakes with tzatsiki and a small bowl of tomatoes and onions. Lovely. As last year I had the Barbary duck which was cooked as requested with new potatoes and young green beans in a red wine sauce. Excellent. Linda enjoyed her 2 fillets of sea bass with risotto and Parmesan crisp. All this was just foreplay though for the main event of toffee apple creme brûlée and cinder toffee ice cream which was served in a brandy snap basket. Even better than last year. The flavours of the toffee apple were just divine.2 coffees completed a lovely first evening back in Ambleside. Booked for this Thursday and got my eyes on the beef and bubble and squeak! Really pleasing to see that Atelier is the number 2 restaurant in Ambleside ( number 1 is a cafe that doesn't open evenings so in reality Atelier is number 1 ) and it just shows what can be achieved with hard work, a great chef, and great focus. Long may it continue.

1  Thank Kizzy192
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Wow and Wow!!!!
You have certainly put an enormous smile on the faces of all at atelier today - Chef is like the Cheshire Cat!
Your glowing plaudits make all the hard work worthwhile, and that you have returned is even more of a compliment. atelier's deepest appreciation for your amazing affirmation and recognition.
Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife & I ate at Atelier on 25th April and it was a wonderful dining experience. The food was excellent and the ambience & service was first rate. I can recommend the pork fillet / puy lentils special main if it's on the menu. My wife enjoyed the rump of lamb - cooked to perfection. Choosing from the sweet menu was the most difficult part of the evening - everything sounds delicious. I went for the stick toffee pudding, which was great, and my wife said that the creme brûlée / honeycomb ice cream sweet was the best she'd had in ages. All in all it was a perfect evening - thanks to the staff a Atelier for making sure our anniversary meal was a very special evening. Creagh & Alison A.

1  Thank CreaghA
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

That you have dined with us on several occasions is a huge compliment in itself!!
Both Staff and Chef are extremely grateful for the super accolades.
Delighted that your special anniversary was positively memorable - it was our pleasure to have contributed.
Hope to see you again.
Thank you.

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here last night. From the moment we entered the restaurant we were made most welcome being offered a choice of table, being people watchers we chose the table by the window. The waitresses were attentive, knowlegable and efficient but not "in the way" allowing us to enjoy our meal.
Now on to the food...
Homemade fresh bread rolls ...excellent.
Tiger prawns with borlotti bean chilli ... very tasty.
Crab and mackerel cakes ...piping hot, moist and perfectly seasoned.
Mains
The Lakeland Lamb rump for Anita was cooked to perfection slightly charred (in a good way) on the outside and medium as requested. Only slight complaint, and really more of a request for next time, more of the delicious jus. This was duly noted by the waitress and on the next table I noted that our comment had been acted upon.
Barbary Duck breast...so tender that no pressure was needed to cut this. Accompanied with a shallot puree and perfectly cooked vegetables.
No room for desserts.
Thank you for an excellent meal...a perfect end to what had been a beautiful sunny day in the Lakes. We hope to be back again soon

1  Thank greenie23468
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

'If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough.' (Meister Eckhart). This is what all at atelier would like to convey to you.
SO pleased you enjoyed your visit; that it was your anniversary is approbation in itself. BUT, a little sad you did not let us know as at atelier special occasions are given a little lift!! Next time??
Much gratitude.