“Very very good even if a bit expensive”
Review of Atelier - CLOSED

Atelier
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We had dinner here one night during our staying in Ambleside.
The restaurant is composed by a small room with not many tables and just one waitress. There is a spiral staircase that goes downstairs but I don't know if there is another room.
When we ate there, the restaurant was empty but for one table, while some days before we tried to eat there but it was all booked (it was during the weekend).
I often saw it empty and I don't understand why because we ate very well. Maybe it is because it is a bit more expensive than other restaurants in Ambleside.
We had 3 starters, 3 main courses (one from the children menu) and two desserts, with a glass of wine and spent 73 pounds.
Everything was delicious, from the terrine to the sea bass with risotto. Excellent dessert (I had cappuccino mousse and my partner a chocolate/orange cake).
They had no high chair for our daughter and this was a bit uncomfortable but the waitress was very patient with her wandering and eating around the room.
Funny thing: when the waitress is free, she sits down behind the bar on a very small chair and she disappears completely from the customers sight. This is discrete because the room is little and there aren't many customers so it avoids her looking at you while you eat. It is also funny because we played with our little daughter asking her to find the disappeared waitress!!! :D
There are some Provencal items in the restaurant (such as pieces of china) that you can buy. The restaurant is inpired by the French region of Provence and the owners also rent a flat in that region.
Very very good restaurant, maybe not for everyday eating because of the prices, but 73 pounds are well worth!

1  Thank Bess1976
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Grazie mille!! Delighted you enjoyed the food so much, and atelier thank you for such a generous review. Sorry that you thought us a little on the expensive side as we feel that in comparison to the other eateries of our ilk we are keenly priced. Your comment about the highchairs is noted; they are on order.
Should you be in Ambleside in the future do come and eat with us again.
Ciao

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We two dined at Atelier when on a short break in the Lakes, being guided by tripadvisor reviews. The restaurant is modestly sized, but simply and nicely furnished..not too many airs and graces. It has a newish feel, and is run by endearing staff. We had a very enjoyable delicious meal, very well cooked and presented, and with good attentive service. Clientele was a mixed bunch veering toward neither proles nor cravatted nigels.

I can't remember how much our meal cost, so it must have been reasonable for the high quality of the food and experience.

I would go back there without hesitation and would suggest a visit to friends which must be the best recommendation. Maybe I am being mean with only 4 stars..4.5 would maybe be more appropriate.

2  Thank NorbertTheNark
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

atelier thanks you for the lovely review, and is pleased you enjoyed your visit. We would relish the opportunity to improve on the mark and do hope you will visit another time.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I ate at this restaurant on Saturday evening and the meal was really good - one of the best we have had recently. The service was friendly and informal and we found out the chef is the daughter of the lady who was serving us - so it had a nice family feel. I had crab and haddock cakes to start which were excellent, clearly home made and really tasty, my wife had moules which came a a big steaming bowl with fresh bread and a lovely white wine 'soup'. I had chicken and Chorizo cous cous with mediterranean veg and harissa as a main and it was excellent, my wife had a wonderful sea bass with creamy risotto and prawns. Puds were also fantastic creme brulee was fresh and creamy and the choclate pecan tart came warm with a blob of ice cream. All the food came well presented and hot and it all felt as though it had been individually prepared with attention to detail. Whilst we were eating we heard another customer call the waitress over and send his compliments to the chef for his steak which he said was done to perfection. Really nice and we will definately be going again

1  Thank David L
ethnamarie, Owner at Atelier, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

What a delightful review! All at atelier thank you for the superlatives. As you mentioned each dish is individually cooked; the mains, in particular are cooked to order hence the slight wait which Chef believes is necessary in order to produce the best quality food. Please, do return to atelier to dine with us.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

So glad we chose this restaurant, it was the best meal by far that my wife & I have enjoyed in ages, a superb three course meal and the fillet steaks we both ordered were cooked to perfection, treat yourself, you will go back as will we.

Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

What a complementary review! All at atelier thank you for being so generous. Look forward to seeing you another time.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Beautiful, unusual food with friendly, attentive staff. Highly recommend and would definitely return.

Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

All at atelier thank you for saying so much so succinctly. Happy that you were satisfied and do hope you will pop in upon your next visit.