“Great escape on a rainy day”

Ambleside Climbing Wall
Ranked #11 of 48 things to do in Ambleside
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Indoor Climbing Venue, suitable for all ages in the heart of The Lake District. Offering Taster sessions, Private Lessons and Kids Clubs throughout the week, and open late for experienced climbers.Our parent company also offer a wide range of outdoor activities; from kayaking and rock climbing, to gorge scrambling and hiking.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great escape on a rainy day”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My 12 year old son and 11 year old nephew had great fun with the taster session both on the main wall and the smaller walls.They managed to achieve the high wall with the help of the enthusiastic instructor Bob. There was a friendly informal atmosphere and as we are not seasoned climbers we were made to feel welcome.Would definitely recommend it for beginners .

Ringwood, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great climbing fun”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My 8 year old son did one of the taster sessions. Great value. He really enjoyed the bouldering and the main climbing wall. Staff really good with the children and really supportive and encouraging. Now he wants to do it again!

Sandbach
“Fantastic fun for all ages!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My six year old daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our 1 1/2 hour taster session with Matt. The quality of teaching was outstanding; Matt ensured that all ages and climbing abilities were challenged in a welcoming and supportive manner. All health and safety matters were well attended to, with a warm up activity at the start, water during the session and recommended actions to take after the session. The other members of our family were able to watch our activities in the comfort of a warm cafe. We look forward to visiting again soon.

Windermere, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Have coffee and watch others swing about.”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Great place for home-made cakes. You coffee & butties while the others do the 'rock climbing'.
Don't expect a gourmet meal but completely adequate.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Not too old to Rock”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

As an adventurous 62 year old, rock climbing is high up on my bucket list. After a week of walking in the Lake District, I spent the morning of the last day at the Ambleside Climbing Wall which was a few minutes walk from where I was staying. Simon took me and my friend under his wing and explained a few safety rules before getting straight to it. First we had a go at bouldering which was harder than it looked but great fun. Then it was over to the 30 foot climbing wall. I asked Simon if we would get to the top during our taster course and he said we should. We had a quick lesson in rope tying and belaying and then it was my turn. I went straight up to the top. After that he set us harder exercises. I had the rather arrogant idea that I would be good at this but I realised I need to get a lot fitter to get the most out of it. One thing this proved though is that indoor wall climbing is a great fun way of getting fit and active and I will certainly do it again.

Visited January 2014