There’s lots to like about the New Dungeon Gyill from its traditional Lakeland building with a walkers bar and large garden to its stunning setting. There’s a couple of different room types available at reasonable rates, we stayed for 2 nights in a premium room, we were up in roof, a slightly small but modern room, well furnished with a good level of facilities and a reasonably sized modern en-suite bathroom. There’s also Wi-Fi should you need it! The hotel was full but we didn’t really here much noise from the other guests and the level of service from the staff was excellent. There was a fault with our shower that was instantly fixed by housekeeping. The hotel has a separate lounge for guests and a drying room for walkers.
The breakfast options were ok, the service was good but experience perhaps wasn’t quite as good as it could be compared with other hotels & B&B’s in the area. There’s nothing wrong I just think they’re missing a trick here as they need to make more of a noise of the fact that they are using local produce and the setting. Which they probably do in the restaurant but we didn’t visit on this occasion.
Overall a great little well run hotel in an unbeatable setting for exploring the lakes and the Langdale valley.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the picturesque Langdale Valley, close to the bustling small town of Ambleside and is situated conveniently for visiting many intersting areas of the Lake District, such as Grasmere, Bowness on Windermere, Keswick and Kendal. The Hotel prides itself on the cuisine served, the relaxed and friendly service it offers, as well as the excellent standards provided.All bedrooms enjoy the most dramatic of views, whether over Stickle Beck as it tumbles down the fellside, to the Pikes themselves all dominant and brooding or Lingmoor as she forms the long south easterly side of the valley. Each of the extremely comfortable rooms are en-suite with colour television and tea and coffee making facilities and central heating.The bright restaurant overlooks the patio and to the lawn with the Lakeland fells beyond. Before dining take the opportunity to sample the hand pulled beers or the many malt whiskies available in the cosy lounge bar.Resident chef, Ian Manley, now in his 12th year at the hotel and his small and enthusiastic team have devised a style of cooking which is unique to The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. Using only the finest seasonal local produce including game, meat and fish the hotel proudly claim an extremely high standard of cuisine that you will want to sample again and again. The excellent selection of dishes also extends to our range of vegetarian meals.The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the very heart of the Lake District, one of the most beautiful and inspiring corners of England. This region of long ribbon lakes, green valleys and sweeping mountains was the home of the poets Wordsworth and Coleridge and greatly inspired their work. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotel.de, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Dungeon Ghyll Ambleside
- New Dungeon Hotel
- Hotel New Dungeon Ghyll
- New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel Ambleside, Lake District