We stayed at this hotel on Saturday 23rd March 2013 and from start to finish we had a wonderful experience. It had snowed very heavily the day before, so the drive through the lakes to the hotel was a winter wonderland, and we were relieved to find the road to the hotel was clear of snow.
We were met straight away on our arrival in reception, greeted warmly, checked in quickly and shown to our room.
The room was fantastic. Very spacious, spotlessly clean and well presented. It was also lovely & warm after the biting cold outside. But the best thing of all was the amazing views of the Langdale Pikes from all 3 windows - snowclad peaks that looked more like something from an alpine scene than somewhere in the UK - truly stunning! And when we finally made it to bed it was very comfortable and we had a really good nights sleep.
The public areas were again very well presented and imaculately clean. The lounge has big patio doors opening out onto a large garden complete with snowmen! The Walkers Bar has chunky rustic furniture and a well stocked bar. The dining area where we ate our evening meal had a huge roaring log fire, which our table was blissfully close to, and we watched the light fade over the snowclad peaks basking in the warmth of the fire.
The food was superb! Local produce freshly cooked. Minimal waiting between courses, and a lovely wine to accompany it. A seriously good dining experience.
The staff were fantastic! Very friendly, very efficient and very professional. Again making for a wonderful experience.
In fact we enjoyed our stay so much that we made two more bookings there and then, for later in the year.
A fantastic Hotel in a stunning location and very good value for money - I would highly recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the picturesque Langdale Valley, close to the bustling small town of Ambleside and is situated conveniently for visiting many intersting areas of the Lake District, such as Grasmere, Bowness on Windermere, Keswick and Kendal. The Hotel prides itself on the cuisine served, the relaxed and friendly service it offers, as well as the excellent standards provided.All bedrooms enjoy the most dramatic of views, whether over Stickle Beck as it tumbles down the fellside, to the Pikes themselves all dominant and brooding or Lingmoor as she forms the long south easterly side of the valley. Each of the extremely comfortable rooms are en-suite with colour television and tea and coffee making facilities and central heating.The bright restaurant overlooks the patio and to the lawn with the Lakeland fells beyond. Before dining take the opportunity to sample the hand pulled beers or the many malt whiskies available in the cosy lounge bar.Resident chef, Ian Manley, now in his 12th year at the hotel and his small and enthusiastic team have devised a style of cooking which is unique to The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel. Using only the finest seasonal local produce including game, meat and fish the hotel proudly claim an extremely high standard of cuisine that you will want to sample again and again. The excellent selection of dishes also extends to our range of vegetarian meals.The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel is located in the very heart of the Lake District, one of the most beautiful and inspiring corners of England. This region of long ribbon lakes, green valleys and sweeping mountains was the home of the poets Wordsworth and Coleridge and greatly inspired their work. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Priceline, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Dungeon Ghyll Ambleside
- New Dungeon Hotel
- Hotel New Dungeon Ghyll
- New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel Ambleside, Lake District