“A short soujourn in the Lake District”

The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
North Lancashire
“A short soujourn in the Lake District”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked at the last minute for a weekend in the Lake District. As on previous occasions there was a warm welcome, a comfortable room, excellent food (both dinner and breakfast) and the feel of elegant luxury in the residents’ lounge.

We usually eat in the Hikers’ Bar when we arrive there at lunch time on a winter walk. It is a time of year to huddle indoors and enjoy a hot luncheon. However we enjoyed a drink outside in the late afternoon sun. They continue to keep a range of good beers and keep them in good condition.

This is definitely worth a return visit either for an overnight stay or for lunch on a winter’s walk.

Room Tip: Every time I have stayed at the ODG I have enjoyed an excellent room. This question appears to be s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MerlinsonofOdin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Last stayed here about 12 years ago and was amused and pleased to see that it hadn't changed a bit in all that time - well, maybe a lick of paint. Perfect location for both walking and relaxing and the staff do all they can to just let you get on with both. We stayed in room 8 with fabulous views of the fells, very comfortable, and while the private bathroom was across the hall rather than en suite, it was clean and modern. We had a lovely evening meal - really tasty, home cooked food and plenty of it - proper lamb shank instead of those scrawny, vacuum packed things often served these days. I especially love the lounge with its big couches, open fire and board games. The hikers' bar next door with its wide range of real ales is an obvious asset too. If you have children and need more family friendly eating/drinking space or more mod cons i.e. TV, then the New Dungeon Ghyll, half mile down the road might be a better choice.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms are ensuite.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crabby061
Beds
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Had been staying at the New DG down the road for the previous 2 nights earlier this month; weather was so good we stayed another day and moved to ODG. Although we'd stopped at the famous bar many times before we hadn't realised ODG was dog-friendly (we had our 2 border collies with us) so were thrilled when they had a room for us at the top of the hotel to allow us to extend our stay. I was surprised that a)they let dogs above ground level and b)the room was so nice and c)they were so casual about our dogs! Very refreshing...

Dinner and breakfast were lovely, staff really laid-back and welcoming, rooms very clean and comfortable. Really quaint, authentic Lakes hotel. Would definitely stay again if returning to the Langdale valley.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AliABedfordshire
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Another great folk festival at the ODG. The complaints about the decor and sticky tables, what a joke... This pub is unique and 'modernising' it could ruin an institution. Sure the bar staff can be a bit short but considering that there is normally a queue to the door that is no suprise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank John C
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I booked the last room available (number 12) for Saturday night as I had family staying at the Great Langdale campsite. Place was lovely - didn't get charged single supplement, so £58 plus £5 for the dog. Very welcoming in hotel - the waitress kindly let us eat breakfast outside on Sunday - campers of the family had joined us & we had dogs with us. We popped in to the pub adjoining - it is very much a walkers bar & very dog friendly - they brought round sausages & bacon for ths dogs but politely asked first if we minded. The barman I believe is being mentioned in a few previous reviews is set in his ways I think - not rude as such, just to the point. I expect he's put up with a lot over the years - he didn't cause us any offence but I could see how others may take it. Overall a lovely stay - perfect weather & Great Langdale campsite is also worth a stay. A mooch around Ambleside on Sunday whilst the experienced climbed Scafell Pike - perfect!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ruth F
cheshire
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The hotel has a bar attached which is frequented by walkers. The premises are located in Old Dungeon, Ghyll not far from Ableside, and gives immediate access for walking a number of Wainwrights in the Lake District. The beer is actually pretty good.

Those are the good points.

Downsides:
Rude, unhelpful staff
The bar is out of date, with sticky tables (there is an old plaque informing of the pub winning a pub of the year award......more than 20 years previously) - perhaps it has rested on its laurels, taking advantage of the near monopolistic position it benefits from.
When I ordered a pint of milk (great reviver after a hard nine hours on the hills), the barman did get it for me but then was critical that I was stupid to order milk, as it made the staff's task of cleaning the beer glass difficult (eh?). We tried to order food at 30 seconds past 2100 hrs but were then told that it was too late, last food orders were at 2100 hrs, but if I hadn't ordered the milk, I could have ordered food. We were offered soup and chips (which weren't that bad really but not what we would have wished for). OK, so technically the barman was within his rights to refuse to order food, as we were trying to order 30 seconds after the cut-off point, but did he have to take obvious pleasure in denying us food service from the menu?

By the way, the rude barman (who was busy), has been there for 20 years.

Then there is the hotel. Pre-paid for a double room. Bathrooms are exclusive to the bedrooms but located down a corridor from the bedroom. Room was actually warm and dry, and not too bad, however............having made enquiries at Reception I was informed that while they usually lock the front door at 0030, they would make sure it was kept unlocked for me as I was planning the following day's route with friends at a nearby bunkhouse. I had reservations about the staff, and made a point of being back at the hotel for 0025 to find the front door locked and no way to raise anyone to let me in. It was raining hard and all my gear was in my room, fortunately I managed to find an alternative bed for the night, but could easily have had a very nasty experience on a cold, wet night in a place in the moddle of nowhere (there was no mobile signal around that area).

Next morning I demanded I speak to the owner, who apologised and gave a full refund.

I would not go back there again and would recommend that others research alternatives perhaps in New Dungeon Ghyll, or Ambelside.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank StuartCheshire
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Our short stay at the Old Dungeon Ghyll was perfect - and we also had great weather! The staff are most friendly, cheerful and helpful and the food in the restaurant gave a good choice of tasty and imaginative dishes, with fresh vegetables and very appealing desserts. Bar meals are available in the adjacent pub. The full breakfast well supported a day of activity and the hotel gives direct access to some of the most enjoyable walking, available to all levels of fitness and age by choosing the correct route. The hotel is a great place to relax after a day in the hills, either outside looking over the fells or in front of a blazing log fire in the comfortable lounge.

Room Tip: If room 8 is available you get two armchairs in the bay window with the most glorious views in three...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple