“A godsend on rainy days :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rufty Tuftys

Rufty Tuftys
Ranked #5 of 6 Fun & Games in Ambleside
More attraction details
Owner description: Rufty Tuftys a large, indoor play centre, offering adventure, exercise, exploration and excitement for children in a clean, safe, stimulating environment right in the heart of the Lake District.We have free parking on our front and also we have an overflow carpark, again free just to the left of our building.
Edinburgh
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A godsend on rainy days :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We are regular visitors to Ambleside and Rufty Tufty's soft play. O.k., we all know and accept that it rains a lot in The Lake District so indoor soft plays like this are a godsend for keeping young children amused and help to build physical confidence in younger children. Our kids (aged four and one at the time of reviewing) really like it. The frame itself is quite sizeable with a good variety of zones to it and they have three sizes of pedal tractor for doing circuits on the floor.

There is a large café/seating area with a toddler soft play area and several roof-mounted widescreen televisions.

The café offers basic snacks and decent espresso style coffee. There is a small shop with a variety of toys and games.

Occasionally we have not been allowed entry because of a private party and once found that a large number of primary school children descended on the place mobbing it but usually there is no problem and we often get chatting to other parents, local or on holiday. Adults almost invariably enjoy joining in on the frame.

Every town should have a Rufty Tufty's.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

took my 13yr old daughter & her friend on Sat 28th June, 2.45pm, upon arrival I was greeted by two female members of staff with limited(to say the least customer service skills) with frowns on their faces. 'how old are they?' I was bluntly asked & then told entry was for upto 11yrs only! I had checked on the my kids day out website before we went & it said 13yrs. we were then turned away! the place was literally empty, not a single person there! I then had two VERY disappointed girls to contend with.
the attractions own website does not have an age restriction & when I find out that they have adult evenings I can not understand at all why we were turned away! I can only presume the staff wanted to go home early, to say I am annoyed would be an understatement. will not recommend anyone goes to this place.

Visited June 2014
5 Thank Cath M
barrymporter, Owner at Rufty Tuftys, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Hi Cath M. The staff did call me just after you had been to ask about the age of children we allow in. We did initially say 11 as we thought this an age whereby they can move through the frame easily. I did say that had I been working I would have let you in and I have advuised the staff that they should allow people to come in especially when we are not busy. Please bring your girls back and there will be no charge. Just for reference the staff don't go home until 6.00pm each day however busy or quiet we are, so there was no intensive for them to turn you away. When it's quiet they say and clean the area. Barry
Oxford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good play area but rubbish customer service ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

The actual play area is really good for the children, there is also a separate area for younger ones. However on arrival the member of staff wasn't the most personable especially for someone who works at a children's play centre! Also we went on a weekday when there was literally one other family and were told that our time was limited to 1 and a half hours and we had to eat lunch within that time. We have never known this at other soft plays apart from when they are extremely busy!!

2 Thank Lucyj80
barrymporter, Owner at Rufty Tuftys, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Hi sorry you had this issue. We do say that the entrance fee is for a 90 minute session to everyone who comes in. Having said this we do then say if it's quiet it not a problem to stay a little longer. We have had people there all afternoon but drinking coffee and purchasing snacks. I think you may have been served by our new member of staff who was just following the company line. Hope your kids enjoyed the play and the coffee was good. I will have a word and make sure that all staff have the same timekeeping policy. Barry
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good play facilities but only one member of staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

The facilities were really good and my child loved the play areas and tractor racing. Unfortunately there was only one member of staff who was a by short with me when we arrived but after seeing how busy she was it was understandable. Food was reasonably priced and freshly prepared but make sure your prepared to wait. Overall worth a visit to give kids a treat.

Visited May 2014
barrymporter, Owner at Rufty Tuftys, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Hi Many thanks for your review. I do appreciate positive and negative reviews. Unfortunately on the day of your visit my staff member had let go another member of staff as she has been ill of late. I would normally step in at this stage, but Moira deemed that she could cope. ( She does work really hard),

Staffing levels at a soft play are notoriously difficult to get right, you only need staff when its raining as we all visit these places when it is raining. We do try our best and our aim is not to have people waiting more than 20 minutes for food. As we cook all our food from fresh we think this is a reasonable amount of time to wait. If you had to wait longer than this then you have my sincere apologies. I will look at the staffing levels again, we have taken on a new member of staff to help out this situation.

Barry
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“unexpected find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Clean , friendly and good coffee too . lots of activities as well as play frame. We didn't eat there but the food looked good and homemade cakes too.

Visited April 2014