“Lovely Lunch ! ”

Ranked #2 of 116 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Healthy, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We open our doors at 10am and serve homemade food. We stop serving savoury hot food at 4pm to allow us time to prep for the following day. We do still serve teas, coffees and cakes until 4.30pm. Please do come and visit and fill your hungry tummies!
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch ! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Lovely little place which we popped into on a rainy day. We both had doorstep sandwiches which were gorgeous both served with a lovely pasta / noodle side salad. I will definitely be coming back here when we visit Ambleside.

United Kingdom
“Scrummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

We visited Rattle Gill recently at the end of a drizzly day in the Lakes. We were met with a delightful cheery welcome, and great banter from the owners. We always pick places that welcome our doggie, and happily they still do. I was so sorry to see the previous owners were selling up, as they ran things so well, but the new owners seem just great. The smoothies were delicious, and the carrot cake, oh so tasty, the best I have ever had! The cafe and menu seem just the same, so glad they haven't sought to " modernise" things, and are instead continuing to focus on the quality of the food and drink, served with a smile, in a charming and traditional, rustic setting. As we were settling up, the owner insisted we take home two scones as they were closing, as a freebie. A lovely touch, and very much enjoyed after a long journey home. Hence to say this will hopefully be a regular and much anticipated feature on many more trips to the Lake District. Do give them a try, they so deserve to do well.

1 Thank Alfiedash
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great lunch spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Delicious sandwiches and cakes. We hadnt been here before, in a nice spot in Ambleside, will be back!

1 Thank lojoaboyne
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Safe hands!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Rattle Gill is my usual choice whenever I'm in Ambleside, be it with my friends when I'm mountain biking or with my wife when we are out walking. I have known the cafe was to change hands but today was the first time I had visited since the new owners took over.

It was a relief to discover everything is still superb. The veggie chilli (although it seemed slightly different) is excellent and as always served with a generous helping of fresh granary bread. I also tried a smoothie instead of my usual coffee and although it wasn't the cheapest, it was packed with fresh fruit and worth every penny. Cafe's like this are true gems. It is clear the new owners, just as the previous ones, really do care about what they are serving and how they serve it.

Rattle gill is all about quality fresh ingredients, made and served with love. Still the best cafe in town!!

1 Thank babypops
Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
“Time out to somewhere unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Visited for a post-lunch snack, and we opted for the cake board - this comes with 5 pieces of cake to share for 2-3 people. Great with their tea, best cuppa I've had in a while and I like my tea!
We had flapjack, lemon drizzle, brownie, coffee cake, and carrot cake. My favs were the carrot cake (tasty icing on top!) and lemon drizzle.

1 Thank Reyno84