“A real gem of a hotel”

Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed here as we were attending the Great North Swim. We had previously eaten here and used the spa on previous visits to the area and the price was reasonable for a family room compared to bed and breakfasts in the area. I have to say we were very impressed. Parking can be a bit tricky with a large car but we managed to find a space, check in was quick and we had been told when we booked we were in the Annex above the car park/shop. The room was fantastic - lovely spacious double bed which was curtained off from the childrens beds (a double sofa converted) and still room for a dressing table, table and chair. The bathroom was spacious with a separate jacuzzi bath and plenty of space for toiletries etc. Complimentary papers and water which was nice (the water was topped up the next day too). Lovely comfy beds and a peaceful nights sleep was had by all. We had a few drinks in the bar - lovely comfy chairs and areas so you could find somewhere quiet if you wanted (or keep the kids away from those trying to relax a bit). We also ate in the restaurant on the first night and had a lovely meal and attentive service - they were great with the kids. Breakfast was fantastic - a great selection to suit everyone. I opted for the porridge oats as I was swimming the first morning (didn't realise what I thought was honey was in fact whiskey so that put a spring in my step!) but had a lovely cooked breakfast the second morning with the veggie sausage (although I prefer the quorn variety rather than the vegetable ones). If you want larger portions you can ask for extra no problem. There is a good selection of fruit, cold meats, salmon, smoothie, cereals, breads and sweets, even fish as a cooked option. Certainly sets you up for the day. We used the spa facilities on the second day after the swim. Got to love the outdoor jacuzzi - didn't want to get out. There is also an indoor jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. My only gripe was the lack of loungers that had been reserved by the only 6 occupants in the pool (maybe encouraging items to be hung up and not to leave on beds when not using or more beds should be considered?). I liked the information board just off the reception with details of what was on (all the great north swim information was on here). We were so impressed with the hotel overall we went straight home to book again for late September for 8 of us but sadly the hotel didn't have the availability. The location is superb - slap bang in the middle of Ambleside. Hopefully we might get to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Annex rooms are spacious
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Thank you for such a fantastic review, your comments and compliments about the hotel it's facilities, service, food, staff, and leisure are very much appreciated and taken on board.
I will look into the possibilities for more hanging space and lounges at the poolside- glad you enjoyed the out door hot tub it's a must ! Your review was a pleasure to read I hope the whiskey didn't put you off your stroke in the swim, so pleased you were able to stay on after the event to chill out and unwind. I'm only disappointed that we didn't have the availability for you in September . I do hope you will return so we can look after you again, many thanks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,369)

Reviewed June 14, 2014

This was my third stay in around 15 months. I never stay at the same hotel twice unless I can help it....but those that have been will know why!
The check in is a pleasant process, and as someone who reviews teams and teamwork this is a happy team. The service staff at breakfast are equally as cheerful and have that 'thing' when you know they are happy and wanting to be part of the team.
We stayed in the Woodland suite as a treat and I will be back. WOW. There is no mini bar or fridge, but everything else is there, plus it has an amazing lounge with it.
The manager Paul is not just a manager, he's a leader of what I would call a superb team. The staff are happy, want to help and nothing is too much trouble. This is usually not the case at the many hotels we've stayed at.
One word of caution though, with so many goo reviews going on tripadvisor it'll run the risk of being too popular!

Room Tip: If you can afford to splash out in the Lakes, there is NO other hotel that does it this well. The s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a great review, your comments about our team, service and facilities are very much appreciated. We are extremely lucky to have such a fabulous ,friendly team through out all of the departments who all go the extra mile to help- even the ones behind the scenes so to speak. A lot of our staff have been with the hotel almost from day one and we are very lucky that staff stay with us for many years which in catering is no mean feat! We are also blessed with wonderful guest's many of whom return several times a year, we like to think there is a home from home family feel here at the 'Sally'. So pleased you enjoyed the Woodlands room (we are looking into fridges for the Lakeland rooms so watch this space) it is one of my favourite rooms such a great Mediterranean feel to it. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a fourth stay very soon. Thank you once again.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Can't fault this hotel, had a lovely stay. Excellent food, location and decor! The use of the great pool and sauna was a good bonus. Would def recommend this hotel and would love to stay there again. Vickie & Duncan

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you Vickie & Duncan for such a great review- hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I am really annoyed with myself because for the past 10+ years I have been driving past the Ambleside Salutation Hotel on my way to stay in Bowness. I have not given the Salutation a second look because from the front it looked a bit small. In fact it is, as a member of staff said, a Tardis. Once through the entrance the place just expands and expands. I have nothing but praise for this hotel, every department was excellent. I must single out the restaurant for some extra praise. Some Best Western Hotels can be let down by the quality of the food and the service in the restaurants. Not so the Salutation it would be very hard to improve this restaurant. So no more driving through Ambleside. It will be more stays in Ambleside less stays in Bowness. A really enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Woodlands, sitting area comprising large screen tv, two sofas and coffee table. Large wet room w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your great review and compliments about the hotel. I'm so glad you came to stay with us and I agree we are a bit like a Tardis - people are often surprised how much space we have inside the hotel! We are always doing something new and will have two new Lakeland rooms at the rear of the hotel later in the year (we found some more space!). So I Iook forward to you visiting again soon thank you once again.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

nice hotel , good location , lovely breakfast well presented . We stayed in one of the annexe rooms next door to the main hotel . Nice and clean and again well presented. we didnt use the hotel bar or the leasure facilities whilst at Ambleside.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Than you very much for your review and I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay in one of our Lodge rooms and that you enjoyed our breakfast. We have a great location in the village with everything on our door step I hope we can welcome you back to stay again soon and perhaps sample the bar and our fantastic leisure facilities.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed here three times. In 2007, 2012 & 2013.This is a fabulous hotel. Great location in Ambleside with lots of shops and only a short distance from Windermere lake. The modern smart rooms are large, very clean and have all you need for a great break. The leisure facilities are lovely with a large pool, steam room, sauna, outdoor hot tub and indoor Jacuzzi. Great for the whole family with relaxing chairs round the pool and wi - fi. So Non swimmers can still be entertained. The food is fantastic and well worth trying. We ate in the bistro on both nights as it is excellent service and fare price. Breakfast is cooked to order. You help yourselves to the cold selection and pastries. If your on the mailing list you will receive offers and a lovely Christmas card with offers included. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: We have stayed in room 105 twice, (requested the second time) club room with king size bed and singl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

'Top Class Hotel' - thank you! and thank you for taking the time to right such a complimentary review its much appreciated. So pleased you all enjoyed using our leisure facilities I agree it's a great area for everyone to chill out in. We are really blessed with our location within minutes you can be on the way to the Lake, half way up a fell or in a shop! Glad you liked your room and our breakfast selection, I think the choice something for everyone and dishes you can treat your selves to - after all you are on holiday! I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#17 of 20 in Windermere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!