“Food good. Lacking the finer detail.”

Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Food good. Lacking the finer detail.”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have walked past this hotel a few times thinking it was quite grand. I haven't stayed in the hotel as a guest, however decided to go for a meal. On the point about places to stay there are some fantastic B&Bs in Ambleside so not necessary to book an hotel. Although I do use hotels in cities/abroad, sometimes I find a B&B is more personal than a hotel chain and less expensive.

Anyway back to my visit. On walking into the hotel the interior matched the exterior and looked formal so expected the dining room to be the same. I was right as the décor, pressed tablecloths, furniture, waiters in shirt and tie and diners in smart casualwear it felt elegant. I felt through the evening this is the atmosphere The Ambleside Salutation wanted to portray. I am not knocking this as sometimes a formal meal/occasion is a treat. My experience of this was good, however the finer detail was missing. I sat down at a table and found the tablecloth was soiled from either breakfast or the previous evening, also I had paper and not linen napkins. I ordered the trout with broccoli and new potatoes and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. The trout was cooked to perfection, however the broccoli was watery which seeped onto the plate, also I didn't get a fish knife. The waiters kept walking by and not once did they ask how my meal was until they took my plate away (empty I might add). I ordered a dessert of Banana and butterscotch cheesecake which was really nice and a another glass of wine. After 15ish minutes my bill arrived, without asking , and asked to pay at the bar.

Will I go back again..? Yes because I would like to try other dishes on the menu, however my expectations has decreased slightly.

Room Tip: Didn't stay as a guest.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
newcastle England
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is the first time we have stayed here and it won't be the last ! The location is very good .Plenty of restaurant s and bars to relax in .
The restaurant in hotel was very nice and the price was good , starter , main course , and a bottle of wine came to £56-00 for two. Waiters were very good . Breakfast was really nice with plenty to choose from!
The room was clean and tidy, ( the hotel was getting decorated but it was still very clean ) ...
We did nt use the spa but will next time , it is well equipped and tranquil !
There is plenty of free parking around back of hotel for guests ...
Reception were very helpful and pleasant !

1 Thank paulwylie
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review your kind comments about our staff (we have a great friendly helpful team all round!) food, breakfast, rooms, location free parking and the hotel in general are really very much appreciated. I'm so pleased that you will be back to stay with us and yes you really must try the leisure facilities next trip they are great and well worth a go! Thanks once again.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We returned once again to this splendid hotel for a night in October 2013. The B& B rate is on the expensive side at about £120 for a night for 2 but they had sent us in advance a promotional offer whereby we got a 3 course meal for 2 valued at £28 each and a bottle of wine, a no brainier ! The staff were as usual very friendly and the hotel is faultless other than the tight parking which cannot be helped. We had a wonderful time and would recommend the place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our special offers. I'm really pleased you describe our hotel as 'splendid', your feedback makes it all worth while, I look forward to welcoming you back perhaps to take advantage of our winter offers.
st.helens
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel though a bit quiet as seems to be a favourite with the more mature client shall we say!
Great location, comfortable rooms, delicious breakfast-nothing more to be said really.
100% recommended providing you like a bit of peace & quiet

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review and kind comments about the hotel, its location, rooms and breakfast. Really pleased you enjoyed your stay (and breakfast!) looking forward to your return.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We have stayed here 3 times and each visit has been fantastic! The rooms are lovely, clean and spacious. We have stayed in the lodge and the hotel and we do prefer the main hotel. The location is perfect in the centre of Ambleside. The outdoor hot tub is lovely after a long day walking. The breakfast is absolutely amazing!!! Thanks

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thanks or such a great review your kind comments are very much appreciated . So pleased you enjoyed our facilities and I agree the hot tub is a must after a day on the fells! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a forth visit really soon.
UK
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Went for a Sunday lunch recently, the roasts were average and fish and chips were poor. The compote desert was atrocious, fruit was not fresh at all.

I'm quite surprised what most people perceive as the premium hotel in the town has such substandard food.

Location, building and staff all lovely, pity about the food.

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank shunter27
Thank you for posting a review and I see from your comments we have let ourselves down a little on the delivery and quality of our Sunday lunch for which I must apologise. I have discussed the issue of the food quality with Mike Durkin our Head Chef and Jo Coburn our Restaurant Manager and their teams, who will look into the reasons why this happened . We prepare each order as they come in and only use fresh produce the quality should be of a high standard at all times, on this occasion we have obviously failed and once again I must apologise.

Sunday lunch has become very popular at The Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa after we re-introduced the 'Swim Sunday's' where a guest can have full use of the leisure facilities from 7.30 am - 5pm and also have a traditional cooked to order Sunday lunch all for the price of £15.95 per person. As we base our business on repeat customers and would certainly hope that this shortfall in our normal service standard will not stop you from visiting the hotel again in the near future as we would like to turn a poor experience around to be a more positive experience. May be if you could contact me directly to discuss the matter further that would be most appreciated.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have visited this hotel at least once a year for the past 7 years and always look forward to returning. The rooms are very well maintained, the bar is a comfortable rest area and the food is absolutely brilliant. On site parking in the middle of a busy tourist town is also especially useful.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are more than adequate, but you can upgrade to larger front-facing suites. Some f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your review -' Lake District Luxury' it doesn't get much better than that! Your kind comments about the hotel are much appreciated and I'm pleased you found our on site parking handy too. Hope to be able to welcome you back soon perhaps, you could try one of our Club or Lakeland rooms next visit. Thank you once again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!