“another return visit”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Leeds, United Kingdom
“another return visit”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Have stayed here many times and have always found it okay. We went on a very busy weekend two weeks ago for two nights. Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the town, entertaining seeing all the coming's and going's. We were slightly disappointed not to be upgraded but understood that the hotel was fully booked during our stay and we had gone on a special deal with Best Western. What I love about this hotel is the fact it is so central, car parking free, we just arrive, park the car and then organise our days round the many walks available from Ambleside. The breakfasts were as usual, very good, plenty of choice, porridge with whisky was a new one, brilliant, although I did not give it a go. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. We ate in a local restaurant one evening and in the hotel the second evening, (enjoyed the hotel meal more).

Will definitely be returning, we tend to alternate with the Red Lion in nearby Grasmere so always a bit of a quandary about which to choose.

Room Tip: enjoyed the view of the town from the front of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us I'm sorry we were unable to offer you an upgrade when you stayed, unfortunately as it was a busy weekend all our Club and Lakeland rooms had been pre booked, perhaps we will be able to on your next visit. Thank you for your compliments about our central location ( the fells and the village on of door step - so luck!) our breakfast- pleased you enjoyed our breakfast choice and your evening meal with us, we have introduced a new menu so its great to get feedback. Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, perhaps you will try a wee nip of whisky with your porridge it may set up up for a day on the fells!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Preston, Lancs
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel on 25th August for 1 night. This was upon recommendation from a colleague and also looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor. The room itself was clean enough however very pokey especially the bathroom whereby if you were slightly on the large side you may have struggled to sit on the toilet! The choice of beers in the bar was very poor and the staff not the most forthcoming with recommendations! I was expecting proper cask ales in the bar but there was only one. If you want a proper good cask ale and especially like Thwaites - then go down the road to the Ambleside Inn where they do a good selection and you can get a tasting tray also. The Spa facilities were excellent with the outdoor hot tub being a novelty and quite relaxing! The breakfast was very disappointing however - having read the many reviews of how good it was supposed to be I was very underwhelmed! I have had a lot better in B&B's! Despite it saying it is freshly cooked - it came out within 5 mins and wasn't very hot - in fact the sausage was cold and hard which put me off eating it. There was the usual selection of fresh fruit salad and bread, croissants etc where were fine but even the orange juice was Del Monte not a decent one! Maybe I am very fussy but I have definitely had much better breakfast elsewhere but being in the Lakes where they use fresh local produce - I expected better! For the price that we paid - £150 for the night incl breakfast - it didn't seem good value. The main good points were the location - central, free parking and the Spa facilities but the food, the bar selection and pokey room meant it did not live up to my expectations overall! Also we had asked for dressing robes for the Spa but we were told they were not provided and yet every other Spa hotel I have been in - have provided them! I think these were reserved for people in the Suites only!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a club suite for a better size room although this will probably cost £200 or more per nig...
2 Thank SmithsPreston_Lancs
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for posting your review, I'm sorry to read about the areas of your stay that you dis not enjoy. I have looked into your booking as it was not booked direct with us but booked through an agent it is not as easy to trace. Therefore I would be grateful if you could contact me direct to discuss this, we do have Club singles in the hotel (all with double bed) which can if requested accommodate two people. We have at the moment the Goldwing real ale from a local micro brewery in Brampton, we do alternate this with another local micro brewery in Staveley, the Goldwing has proved popular but I'm sorry that on this occasion it was not to your liking.

We do pride ourselves on our breakfast and feel that we offer a large selection to suit all tastes and we have worked really hard with the buffet selection to offer a wide choice (even down to a wee nip of Whisky on your porridge) and a totally separate bread and pastry buffet. I can assure you that our breakfast's are freshly cooked and I'm sorry that you felt this was not the case and that it did not live up to your expectations. We do provide robes in our Club and Lakeland rooms along with other extras for guest's, we also have changing facilities in the leisure club so guest's can change there with out having to walk through the hotel in swim gear , robes are also provided for pamper days.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our parking, Spa facilities and location, we are very lucky to be so central with the village and the fells on our door step. Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not live up to your expectations and fell short of the mark, please contact me direct to discuss your review in more detail. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and turn an unfortunate negative experience in to a truly positive one.
lowdham, notts
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We didn't stay at the Salutation but had a 5 day leisure pass from our rental cottage agent
The pass gave us access to the leisure facilities & discount on food and drinks.
The pool, sauna and hot tub were fantastic, female changing room could do with a more thorough clean - tiles in shower a bit slimey and very dusty along top of tiles in changing area. Small thing but important I think.
The lounge in the hotel is lovely, variety of seating, tables, chairs and enjoyed a drink here post swim.
All the staff we met were friendly and chatty and interested in ensuring customers enjoy their visit.
One night we stayed for dinner - I'll not dwell but it wasn't great however the duty manager dealt with our complaints quickly and to out satisfaction.
One morning we went for breakfast and this was just amazing! Well cooked full English, varied cold buffet, excellent bread/pastry buffet and really good value for money.
I would certainly consider staying at the hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and your kind comments about our leisure facilities, staff, breakfast and lounges. Thank you also for your feed back about the ladies changing rooms which has been acted on. Apologies once again about your evening meal but I'm pleased we were able to resolve that while you were here to your satisfaction. I do hope you will consider staying with us on another visit to the Lakes it would be nice to look after you and welcome you to the hotel.
Bolton
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Love this hotel. My wife and I have been staying here for several years and always love the feel of the place, the staff that never change (sign of a great place to work) and the old and new that works so well throughout the much updated hotel. We usually stay in 402 the club room leading onto balcony which is a fantastic room but this time was persuaded to try the rothay room. A great new room in the main part o he hotel .This is the piste resistance.a great room. Lots of space, fantastic bathroom. Lovely balcony overlooking amble side and the rolling hills in the background and finally the recently added hot tub!!!! The best room bar none to date and realistic prices in a fantastically managed hotel over numerous years. Keep up the good work, improvements are great, running out of space for my collector ducks ! Will b back in the new year :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Normjanineb
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review and super compliments about the hotel and our great staff( we are very lucky to have them and many of them have been with us for years!).I agree Rothay is a great room (one of my favourites) and the hot tub just finishes it off! Your comments and feedback are really important to us and we are so pleased you enjoyed staying with us, look forward to seeing you in the New Year (if not before?) - keep on collecting the ducks! Thank you once again.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were a party of seven wanting an evening meal - we thought we were being seated in the restaurant but ended up on a corridor linking the bar with the restaurant. It was not pleasant as waiting staff were constantly up and down this corridor - we could have refused the tables but with children it would not have been practical to find an alternative.
In addition there were mistakes made with the order
Unlikely to return there for a meal in the future

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank E8535NDmarkh
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my sincere apologies for your dinning experience with us, I am very sorry we didn't come up to the mark and that you felt disappointed. I have spoke to the Restaurant Manager on duty that night, it was a very busy night and we were unable to move any tables together for you, the only place available was in the Bistro area . Normally we would set up larger tables in the Brasserie area but on this occasion as you saw it was not possible. I do apologise also for the mistakes in your order again it was a busy night and sometimes we do make errors I do hope these were rectified for you quickly and with the least inconvenience .I hope that you will return to the hotel in the future please contact me direct so I can pre book you a table for you. I would certainly like the opportunity to change a some what negative dinning experience with us into a truly positive one.
North Sea
Reviewed August 20, 2013

a UK hotel, that is saying something when I am an ex-chef from the Hotel industry. Fresh Bread baked bread, kippers, haddock, omelettes or cooked breakfast with a lovely local sausage. Porridge with fresh honey, Smoothies, fresh fruit, not tinned and one of the best natural yogurts I have had in a long time( if the salutation replies to this, I would like to know which yogurt is t was?) back to the hotel, it is the 1st time we have stayed in the Salutation, normally we use the Smallwood, next to Matthews Bistro and use the small-woods Salutation Spa passes, this time because, I have 3 herniated discs and my wife had a medical issue we decided to spend a bit more and know that whatever the weather we could walk from our room and straight to the gym or Jacuzzi. The rooms were spotlessly clean, plenty of towels and a spa bath, which we both used after a couple of small walks, Easedale Tarn and Helm crag from Grasmere. More than enough parking space which we felt was very secure. Beautiful and relaxing bar and the staff were very pleasant. We have had numerous meals over the last few years and on the last night we had another, I was disappointed with my soup, chicken and Tarragon, it was more like stock, Not one strand of chicken. Although I did have the Lamb special which was lovely. A minor gripe is the changing rooms in the pool area, much too small(male and female), dont drop the soap!!! twice I had to go back to reception to sort my keyfob out. Defiantly be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WOW it doesn't get much better than this for a fabulous breakfast review - thank you. We have worked really hard on our breakfast so I was delighted to read your comments. The natural yoghurt we use is Ann Forshaw's Deluxe Natural Creamy, we have supplied by our local milkman each day. Thank you for your kind comments about our rooms and leisure facilities. Apologies about the chicken soup I will discuss this with the chef, all our soups are homemade, pleased you enjoyed the lamb. We do have extra gents changing for the gym, we should perhaps make this clearer to guest's by putting a sign on each changing room to inform guest's. Some times the key fobs do become deactivated and I am sorry this happened to you and you had to return to reception to re set them, unfortunately it has to be done on the main computer on the front desk. Your feed back is very important to us so thank you once again for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased you will definitely be back to the hotel and look forward to your visit.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night with our dog and it was brilliant. For non-dog people there is no evidence of a dog ever being in the hotel, other than actually seeing one! Spotlessly clean and large room with balcony and views of the fells.
Breakfast is amazing and the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful.
Dogs are well looked after here too, not just strokes from the staff but a few 'welcome' dog biscuits in the room.
Overall an excellent stay, more than a night next time hopefully!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for a great review, so pleased you and your four legged friend enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments about our staff and our breakfast's are much appreciated, I look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Regent Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rydal
Rothay Manor Hotel
Rothay Manor Hotel
#4 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!