Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Priceline
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
Queen's Hotel(Ambleside)
1,399 results
All reviewshot tubclub roomsteam roomoutdoor jacuzzileisure facilitieslovely hotelcold buffetspa bathlake districtcar parkthe main hotelwalk in showercooked breakfastporridgelounge arealeisure clubpower shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and found it to be an ideal base for exploring the local area. The free parking is a bonus as Ambleside gets very busy and parking can be a real problem. The staff were friendly and very helpful, making us feel very valued. The rooms are pleasant, well-maintained and spotlessly clean. Public areas are inviting, with plenty of places to relax and unwind. The leisure facilities are great: a fabulous swimming pool, jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub! The breakfasts are excellent with plenty of choice and well-cooked ingredients. We will definitely be returning!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue H
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about our location, free parking, friendly & helpful staff, lounges. breakfast and leisure facilities- especially the hot tub! I hope you will be returning to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

A most welcome outdoor hottub after a days climbing. A small but well equipped room and the most comfy bed for a great nights sleep. The balcony was a great sunny spot for drinks with lovely views before supper. Everything you could possibaly think of at breakfast, I can reccomend the banana bread. Friendly staff and lovely lounge area. A group of ten of us stayed here. The car park was a bit snug and we were unlucky enough to put a scrape down the side of the car whilst trying to manouvre around a jcb. Overall a great stay and would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with and for your kind comments about our lounges, friendly staff and breakfast. So pleased we were a good base camp for your Hellvelyn climb- its a mountain I personally have yet to conquer!
Apologies regarding the car park , we are always on hand to assist with car parking for guest's and I'm sorry you found it a bit snug .Many thanks for your feedback I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon - perhaps to 'Bag' another mountain!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our first stay at the Salutation in Ambleside having previously rented holiday properties in this area. For some reason due to its "Best Western" ownership I did not have great expectations of this hotel, suspecting it was probably "tarred" with the large group ownership tag (i.e.) place to crash but not much else. How wrong was I?
The Salutation was a real surprise from start to finish. The hotel reception was warm and the reception staff very friendly. We were shown to our room, which was just a standard room on the first floor but it was spotlessly clean and provided all the normal amenities (T.V., Tea making etc) but it also had a small seating area/balcony outside, accessed via a patio door.
My next concern was what was the food like. Advertising outside the hotel said "Award Winning Breakfast" so you think "yeah right" but again I was wrong. The breakfast was exceptional, with a huge choice of "Full English", Kippers, Haddock, continental, cereals, fresh danish pastries, various breads and all prepared or cooked to a very high standard. This gave us a great start to a days walking.
We also on occasion had lunch in the hotel, which was from a Bistro menu but still beautifully prepared. We also had one evening meal, which was simple but again very good produce, cooked to a high standard.
The public areas of the hotel (lounge, bar etc) were extremely comfortable and warm.
We didn't have time to use the Spa or swimming pool but this also looked to be maintained to a high standard.
Given the price we paid this was superb value for money
All in all, this was a brilliant holiday hotel and location and we will definately return.

Room Tip: We were in 115, which had the balcony and seating area outside.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I was delighted to read that your stay with us exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your kind comments about our food, facilities, rooms and staff - your feedback is important to us. Hope you can return to the hotel soon, perhaps you will be able to sample the leisure facilities next time - the hot tub is a must after a hard day on the fells!

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Everything we needed - 10 of us stayed here and whilst some had rooms without a view we were all happy with the hotel. Friendly helpful staff, wonderful breakfast buffet, lovely lounge areas and the spa exceeded all expectations. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you so much for our 10 out of 10! So pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked our facilities - I agree the Spa and leisure are amazing. Thanks too for the comments about our staff we are lucky to have a great team. Look forward to welcoming you all back to stay with us again soon .

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Let me first explain how I came to book this hotel as it tells a story in itself.
Late in my tour in Afghanistan I was starting to sort out my life for my return; always a trip to the Lake District, always for one night. I sat down at the Paradigm terminal and used a popular search engine with my criteria and it took me to Patterdale, near Helvellyn and I have no idea but I didn't hit the pay now button I decided to see if I had news from home from email.
What I found shaped my return to the UK, a sale on prices for the Salutation, not only had it become affordable so close to school holidays, but the price was irresistable and not for just a single night visit. I'm boring you, but it was affordable to book for 2 nights.
We arrived on the 22/5 and were allocated room 102, a room with THE most fantastic view over Loughrigg Fells, oh yeah! The room isn't the swanky type room you'd get in a city, but then it isn't the city you are in the Lake District.....time spent indoors is time wasted! The room was ok for size, had an amazing balcony and a view to dream of. The bathroom is a sliding door away from the bedroom, I've never had such a powerful shower, and my wife had a jaccuzi bath in the mornings which didn't wake me.
The breakfast is outstanding, a massive choice and if you want extra you only have to ask. In short you could NOT ask for a better breakfast to set you up for the day.
The leisure facilities are superb, probably the reason the place is normally out of my budget range. It was lovely and cold last night and my wife and I were outside in a hot tub with steam coming off it! You take memories away from things like that and indeed 3 years ago we had this on our last visit, it was that very memory that kept us looking at this hotel for offers.
We had one small niggle with the brand new bed that had just been fitted, and the manager himself looked into this, it was his attention to detail and eye for good standards that put the icing on the cake, Paul Cookson, the manager is worthy of a mention as he was everywhere, including helping out guests at breakfast. I'll definitely go back, it treats my wife and we're always up there walking so why not indulge?!
I haven't read any of the other views, I'm a previous occupant, but I would question anyone that can't identify this little gem within the heart of the Lade District!

Room Tip: Expect to wind down and take advantage of what you have paid for......Please don't ask to be on floor 1, I may be bumped upstairs!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

WOW! What an outstanding review your comments and feedback are amazing .... and I even get a mention in dispatches! Thank you so much it will me my pleasure to welcoming you both back soon.