“All that glistens is Gold” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa

Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
Yorkshire
“All that glistens is Gold”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Let me first explain how I came to book this hotel as it tells a story in itself.
Late in my tour in Afghanistan I was starting to sort out my life for my return; always a trip to the Lake District, always for one night. I sat down at the Paradigm terminal and used a popular search engine with my criteria and it took me to Patterdale, near Helvellyn and I have no idea but I didn't hit the pay now button I decided to see if I had news from home from email.
What I found shaped my return to the UK, a sale on prices for the Salutation, not only had it become affordable so close to school holidays, but the price was irresistable and not for just a single night visit. I'm boring you, but it was affordable to book for 2 nights.
We arrived on the 22/5 and were allocated room 102, a room with THE most fantastic view over Loughrigg Fells, oh yeah! The room isn't the swanky type room you'd get in a city, but then it isn't the city you are in the Lake District.....time spent indoors is time wasted! The room was ok for size, had an amazing balcony and a view to dream of. The bathroom is a sliding door away from the bedroom, I've never had such a powerful shower, and my wife had a jaccuzi bath in the mornings which didn't wake me.
The breakfast is outstanding, a massive choice and if you want extra you only have to ask. In short you could NOT ask for a better breakfast to set you up for the day.
The leisure facilities are superb, probably the reason the place is normally out of my budget range. It was lovely and cold last night and my wife and I were outside in a hot tub with steam coming off it! You take memories away from things like that and indeed 3 years ago we had this on our last visit, it was that very memory that kept us looking at this hotel for offers.
We had one small niggle with the brand new bed that had just been fitted, and the manager himself looked into this, it was his attention to detail and eye for good standards that put the icing on the cake, Paul Cookson, the manager is worthy of a mention as he was everywhere, including helping out guests at breakfast. I'll definitely go back, it treats my wife and we're always up there walking so why not indulge?!
I haven't read any of the other views, I'm a previous occupant, but I would question anyone that can't identify this little gem within the heart of the Lade District!

Room Tip: Expect to wind down and take advantage of what you have paid for......Please don't ask to be on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
WOW! What an outstanding review your comments and feedback are amazing .... and I even get a mention in dispatches! Thank you so much it will me my pleasure to welcoming you both back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

First stay at this great hotel but not my last. Everything was wonderful from the rooms to the breakfast , which was perfect and delicious and extensive. The real icing in the cake however are the wonderful facilities, the spa is ace and the option if treatments next door at a discount are too good to miss. Top place.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great review we are really chuffed you described us as a 'top' place. We look forward to your return and perhaps try out some more fab treatments in Oxley's and chill in our leisure club!
Stafford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here a few times and the Salutation never lets me down.

Friendly and efficient on check-in. Great spa facility including pool, sauna, steam room, outdoor jacuzzi. Nice lounge area, comfortable, adequate bedrooms, comfy beds, secure parking - what more do you want?

Downside - parking can be a bit tight if busy and steam room was out of order last time I visited - Plus side - Breakfast was amazing - so who cares?????

Great central location and if you're thinking of booking this hotel - just do it!

Room Tip: Higher rooms it's always easier to use the stairs to come down so ask for lower rooms if this mi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paulcookson, General Manager at Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and your kind comments about our staff, leisure facilities, lounges, bedrooms and breakfast. Apologies for the steam room being out of order, we do try our best to rectify and problems like that as soon as possible. We are on hand to help with car parking and there is more to the rear of the hotel. Glad you liked our breakfast and thanks for the recommendation just to book us - much appreciated hope to see you again soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Salutation Hotel in Ambleside
This hotel was superb. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were, pleasant, helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The room was immaculate and well appointed. I particularly liked the provision of a rubber duck (for the kids to play with in the bath but I have to confess that I went back 70 odd years and had it in my bath)
An unusual attention to detail was the provision of Whisky for the porridge at breakfast.
The pool and gym were a bonus.

I highly recommend this hotel..

I have a niggle that applies to many eating establishments (not just this one)
I do not like the serving of main courses, requiring a knife and fork, in soup dish.
I hate it when I’m told “The chef likes it” I’m the customer and I don’t.
Am I just a grumpy old man or do others objet to this affectation?
Has the chef actually tried cutting chicken, liver steak etc in a dish with a rim that forces the knife holding hand up?

Room Tip: Are there any bad ones?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for a great review, and kind compliments about our rooms, breakfast, leisure facilities and staff- they do a great job of looking after people we really are very lucky! Pleased you liked our rubber duck we nick name him Monty and I hope you tried a wee nip of whisky with your porridge! We have spent a lot of time looking for new crockery and I'm sorry you didn't like the presentation in the larger modern rimmed dishes , we do have larger dinner plates and would have been more than happy to serve your meal on them. This aside I'm really pleased you would recommend the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back really soon.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, Fri-Sat and of the three couples we had the best room - we upgraded to a club room (405) which was a nice sze, comfortable bed with a good size bathroom but a very weak shower. Our friends had room 204 which had a tiny bathroom and our other friends had an OK room. We only had breakfast which was really good, a good selection of cold foods and a good cooked breakfast. The waitress was a bit too keen to get our orders for hot food and tea/coffee/toast etc. but all in all it is a nice place to stay. There is free parking but the spaces are tight and limited, I would imagine that on a really busy day you would struggle to park.

Access to the health club is a right palava! You have to fil in a medical form, hand over your room key to get a locker and equipment key - I was tired before I got into the gym itself! but when I did get there it was very pleasant with a good selection of equipment and a lovely swimming pool with jacuzzi inside and a hot tub in the serenity garden overlooking the stream at the back of the hotel.

A nice place to stay all in all.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a club room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Timothy W
Thank you very much for your 'excellent' review and compliments about the hotel, staff, facilities and food. I hope you had a chance to try the hot tub- it's a great way to unwind! We look forward to welcoming you back for your third short break really soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed ay this hotel for the second time. It has everything from a centra location to very helpful and friendly staff, comfortable lounges, fine dining and a leisure centre consisting of a full gymnsium, a good size swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and a Canadian hot tub. We are planning a third short break at this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review and your kind comments about our staff (I agree they are a great bunch!), dinning, leisure and rooms. So pleased you liked the hot tub and I look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay with us soon.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We booked a family room and a double room, it was my daughter in laws birthday and my 60th on the same Sunday. we stayed for four days and loved every moment. The family room was way above average in size, double bed, cot and real single bed (not folding type) with room to move as well, our room was again large with a balcony, the bedding was very good with super pillows, huge fully towels in the bathroom, the food was super we ate in the bistro every night, the menu is great good selection, breakfast was one of the very best I have seen for selection, amount and quality, the staff are soooooooo very good, helpful, treat you like your the most important person in the world, very good with kiddies (one 7yrs and one nosey 2yr old) nothing was too much trouble, and they are happy working in the job and hotel, most have been there years which speaks volumes in the hotel trade. all in all this hotel is what you would expect from a 5 star hotel in all ways. We used the spa each day, the kiddies enjoyed swimming and its such a good way for them to wind down, it had all the things you need to relax before dinner.

Room Tip: We had Fairfield, super room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Janet K
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and for your great comments about our rooms, facilities, leisure, food and staff. We are really are very lucky to have such great staff who enjoy their work many of them have been with us for a lot of years! We are also very pleased with our breakfast set up and have worked very hard on the selection. So glad you liked the Spa and pool it's great to relax in and of course fab for the little ones. All in all your double birthday break sounds to have ticked all the boxes and we were delighted you chose the Salutation for your celebrations, look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Langdale Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Rydal
Rothay Manor Hotel
Rothay Manor Hotel
#4 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Ambleside Salutation Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!