Having booked 2 nights b&b midweek for £270 we were looking forward to a luxurious (by our by no means snobby standards) mini break. Unfortunately we were disappointed in some ways (not all though)... The welcome was barely warm, we were rushed to our room (no. 5) chasing the receptionist down the stairs trying to keep up whilst listening to faint instructions floating past our ears, something about speakers in the bathroom and underfloor heating neither of us heard what was said.
On arrival to our room we had no complaints, 'it looked liked it did in the pictures' and everything worked. Perhaps a little smaller than expected and it was by the road but the noise wasn't too bad.
We only ate breakfast at the hotel partly because of the reviews we'd read prior to our stay and partly because of the poor choice (we only saw the evening menu during our stay - so couldn't comment on lunch). The breakfast like our room didn't disappoint there was plenty of choice and the service was good.
One big bug bear for both of us was to return to our room one evening and find the tv was on, the cushions had been removed from the bed and wrapped messily in the drape then thrown on the floor and then we found two face cloths soaking in the toilet - which reception did kindly come and remove for us!! Before we realised we'd had our turndown service we had thought that we'd been burgled :)
Although as mentioned the room was great and breakfast was good we just didn't feel that we'd got good value for money - perhaps we're too fussy in some respects as to how we spend our hard earned money! If we had money to burn then yes we'd stay here again but we won't be returning otherwise.
Would recommend: Lucy's on a Plate and the walk up to Jenkyn's Cragg - the views of the Lake are stunning. Would avoid: ever eating again at the Lighthouse in Windemere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Agoda, getaroom.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Waterhead Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Hotel Ambleside, Lake District