“Sad to have left!”

GreenLeadersGold level
South YOrkshire
“Sad to have left!”
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I spent hours and hours on the internet looking at different hotels in the lake district and finally decided in The Waterhead, and I'm really pleased I did. The reception staff were great, we were upgraded to a lakeview room which was such a treat!!

The rooms are luxurious without being stuffy, I loved the little touches, like binoculars to look out onto the lake, and the fluffy dog on the bed looking after the do not disturb sign! There was a great range of hot drinks in the room including a cafetiere, and not just any biscuits but local ginger bread which was yummy!!

Fiona on reception helped pick walks which would be enjoyable and suitable to our novice walking status!!

We felt very well looked after at this hotel and 3 nights was definitely not long enough!!

Thanks to all the team at The Waterhead!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2009
Dear TheAttenborrows

Thanks for the great review - I'm glad that we lived up to your expectations and the research was worthwhile!
Your kind comments will of course be passed on to the team, and Fiona in particular.
Please do contact me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk prior to your next visit, and I wil ensure that you are quoted the very best rate available.

Matt Stanaway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
South Yorkshire
Reviewed February 16, 2009

This is a great hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful, they make you feel really welcome.
The rooms are beautifully decorated. We stayed for 2 nights over the valentines weekend and I can not fault our stay.
The hotel is in a great location, it has a really nice bar with great views, the views from the breakfast room are also second to none.
If you visit I would also recomend the Log House resturant which is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, the food is top class.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
Dear Hello0123

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review - I'm delighted that you enjoyed your Valentine's weekend.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future - please feel free to contact me beforehand and I will ensure you are offered a great rate!

Lincoln
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I have stayed at the Waterhead on many occasions and keep going back as it offers the best mix of quality, value for money and service of any hotel I've stayed in. What I particularly like is that it offers the highest of standards without some of the "stuffiness" that some hotels have. On this occasion i was travelling with my parents for the Waterhead Christmas break. It was fabulous from start to finish.

• Liked — Heated floor in bathroom, very cozy!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Dear Aly99

Thanks so much for the fantastic review - your kind comments will, of course, be passed on to the team here.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future (possibly Christmas 2009?), and please do contact me beforehand to ensure you are offered the very best rate avaiable.
Thanks once again

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2009

My girlfriend booked an ultra-last minute one night stay for my birthday and wish it could have been longer. Never told anyone at the hotel it was my birthday, shame as it sounds from other reviews asif I may have got a little treat!
This place was terrific, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was fabulous and the view from the room was wonderful.
I think with most hotels it is the little touches that make some stand out, the binoculars to explore the view, the "Sarah's Grasmere shortbread" in the room, the fact all the rooms are named after local waterfalls with a commisioned photo in the room of "your" waterfall and the very heavy silver cafetiere I dropped on my foot!
Silly I know, but little things do make a difference when you go somewhere new.
The place has obviously been recently refurbished and it shows, the decor is very pleasing and a nice mixture of traditional and contemporary.
Dinner was expensive but worth it as it was up there with the best hotel restaurant I have experienced. The food I have read is locally sourced and my girlfirend who is a vegetarian and difficult to feed (!) said the dish she had was "brazen" and "unapologetically" vegetarian as well as tasting fabulous. You work it out....!
My duck was superb.
Breakfast was very good too. Beautifully cooked, not too heavy, just obviously good ingredients cooked and presented really well.
Staff were uniformly friendly, ultra-efficient and helpful but the hotel was very quiet when we were there. It would be interesting to see how a busy time may affect the very slick but friendly operation of this place.
I kind of don't want to return as I don't want to be disappointed if the next stay does not match this one but I know we WILL return and probably soon IF we can find the best rates available as this kind of service don't come cheap!
Words of advice, eat in the restaurant as it is tremendous and book a room with a lake view. We had a large gabled window overlooking the lake and above the bar, very nice but obviously more expensive.
I had previously used several times another hotel as my place of choice in the Lakes, somewhere I visit often.
That hotel has been surpassed by the Waterhead.
GO!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2009
Dear Damo69
Thanks for the fantastic review - and a belated Happy Birthday!
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and the extra touches we provide in our rooms. Please do get in contact with me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk before your next visit, and I will ensure you are offered the very best rate available. Alternatively, the best rates and special offer packages will always be on the English Lakes Hotels homepage.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future, and I hope your foot wasn't too badly injured!
Kent
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We had a wonderful New Year break. We chose the Waterhead as we could take our dog and he had a great time too. They even gave him a Christmas pressie.

Food was fab and the staff were really friendly. Our room was not overly large but really lovely. As I am renowned for moving rooms this was an achievement!

The setting is beautiful across the road from the lake and afternoon tea looking at this view was bliss. We will definitely be going back.

• Liked — Staff and their dog friendliness
  • Disliked — Some of the drinks are expensive so care should be taken when choosing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2009
Dear GrantdKent

Many thanks for the great review, and I'm delighted you enjoyed your New Year stay with us. Please do get in contact prior to your next stay and I will ensure you get the very best rate available.

manchester
Reviewed February 1, 2009

This was our first Christmas away from home. After a serious illness I was apprehensive about spending time away from home. I needn't have worried. The staff were very helpful and made our stay very comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble.
Room service was excellent with our every need met !
We would definitely recommend The Waterhead hotel to family and friends and will be visiting again ourselves!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — room slightly small
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2009
Dear sootolly

Thanks so much for the great review and kind words, which I will ensure are passed on to the team here at The Waterhead.
I do hope that you are now well on the way to recovery, and please contact me when you are next planning a trip to the Lakes so that I can ensure you are offered the very best rate available.

Harrogate
Reviewed January 29, 2009

We stayed for 1 night on 24th Jan 09. We were welcomed by very friendly staff, even the porter said hello.
We had a very speedy booking in and our room was ready at 1pm. We were a little dissapointed that we didnt have a lake-view room and instead had a view of the car-park!
The room itself was very clean and fresh with a huge bed.
The highlight for us was the fantastic food. I ate salmon whilst my husband had steak, both were divine! The chocolate fondant was to die for!
I would highly reccomend this hotel but make sure you ask for a lake-view room. We thought all rooms were lake-view.

• Liked — Restuarant
  • Disliked — Room with no view
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2009
Dear AMCRHarrogate

Thank you very much for the great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed our new chocolate fondant!
Due to the layout of the hotel, not all rooms have a lake view, but most will still benefit from a good view of the fells. I'm sorry that you were under the impression all rooms were lake view- we do strictly control all relevant hotel information, and don't advertise all rooms as having this.
Please do contact me prior to your next stay, and I will be delighted to offer you a special rate, and reserve a lake view room!
Thanks again for your kind comments - these will,of course, be passed on to the team.

Matt Stanaway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Fisherbeck
The Fisherbeck
#5 of 12 in Ambleside
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!