“Great hotel”

Waterhead Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Read the reviews, booked the hotel. It was great.
Had a first floor suite with views overlooking the lake and with a semi- seperate longe/sitting area. Bathroom clean and very modern.
Couldn't fault the staff or the cleandliness of the modernised hotel and rooms. Breakfast was great.
It's not cheap but you do get what you pay for and the Waterhead is quality.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2009

Dear SiLo69

Thanks for the fantastic review, and I'm glad you liked the suite.
Please contact me prior to you next stay, and I will be delighted to arrange the very best rate I available for you.

Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with a friend on 1-5 December 2008. The twin room was lovely and very warm. I was glad the heating was so efficient as it was snowing and very cold. The view of the Lake when having breakfast was beautiful as there was thick snow on the ground.

The only downside for me was the dinner menu didn't have many vegetarian choices. Restaurant looked lovely but we went out to eat every night as I am a vegetarian and didn't want to be stuck with just one 'choice'. Strange to be so limited at a hotel that even offers a good veggie cooked breakfast. Maybe the menu displayed on the Reception wasn't a true reflection of what was available. Pub across the road on the Lake did lots of veggie options so went there a few times and it didn't disappoint.

Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. This was my first trip to the Lakes and would definitely like to return to this hotel.

Sian Walters

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank FSWKent

Dear FSWKent

Thanks for the great review, and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay....and the snow!
Our new a la carte menu has now been launched, and I'm sure you will find the choice and variety of our vegetarian dishes to your liking.
Please contact me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk prior to your next visit, and I will be more than happy to arrange a special rate and ensure that all of your requirements are catered for.

Reviewed January 4, 2009

Congratulations to Matt Stanaway and his staff for their superb service during our New Years Eve break. The hotel & organised activities were better than expected. Comfortable rooms, tasty and plentiful food as well as a hassel free schedule. We would highly recommend this venue to see in a New Year.

1  Thank BucksAylesbury
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2009

Dear BucksAylesbury

Many thanks for the great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed celebrating the New Year with us here at The Waterhead.
Please contact me on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk when you are next planning a visit to The Lakes, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 16, 2008

We arrived at this hotel after being transferred from one of its sister hotels, due to a bad damp problem in our room.
As soon as we walked in, we were both grinning. We were in a standard room, and all i can say is if this was standard I can't imagine the luxury rooms.
The room was lovely- imacculate,clean and cosy and unlike in the previous hotel the room was a brilliant size. I'm not usually comfortable in hotels, I can't help thinking of all the people who've used the bath and slept in the bed but this didn't cross my mind once as everything was so sparkling clean. Everything, even down to the gorgeous toiletries made the stay feel extra special.
We had a flatscreen TV and DVD player, with DVDs available to use free of charge- the decor was, like everything else, perfect.
The staff were wonderful- nothing was to much trouble for them.
The location was second to none, literally a minutes walk from hotel to lake Windermere, a few little cafes and shops selling essential were two minutes from the door and lovely vilages a short car journey away.
The only thing i would've changed about the stay was the evening menu..it had only one vegetarian option for the main course which was mushroom and pea risotto- which really didn't appeal to me, so we didn't get to eat in the restaurant, which was disappointing as the prices were really reasonable and the restaurant was gorgeous.
I would recommend this hotel to both couples and families, and will hopefully be visiting again in the summer.

1  Thank helen2716
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2008

Dear helen2716 of Middlesbrough

Thank you so much for the fantastic review and I'm delighted that you had a great stay - your comments will, of course, be passed on to the team here at The Waterhead. Please make sure you contact me the next time you are planning a visit to the Lakes at whmanager@elhmail.co.uk - I'm sure my head chef will be more than happy to give you a call so as to ensure we are able to offer you suitable vegetarian alternatives during your next stay.

Reviewed December 7, 2008

Had a perfect weekend at the Waterhead.

A wonderful hotel in beautiful surroundings. We stayed in a luxury lake-view room which was more than worth the extra money!

The staff went out of their way to help and the food was marvellous. There's no better place to stay in the Lake District, everything was perfect and will definitely stay here again!!

Just a little note.. if booking via the hotel website, ring the hotel first and check the rates, we did this and saved £96!

2  Thank Mistyxx
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2008

Dear Mistyxx of Barnsley

Thank you for the great review and I'm delighted you had an enjoyable stay. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team , and please make sure you contact me the next time you are planning a visit to the Lakes at whmanager@elhmail.co.uk

Reviewed November 5, 2008

Sadly we only stayed for one night at the hotel but what a fantastic stay it was!
Rooms were large, spacious and tastefully decorated. Two of our rooms were lake view rooms which were fabulous and well worth booking.
Staff were helpful and friendly and very efficient.
If you can book into the restaurant you will not be disappointed. Food, both evening meal and breakfast, were superb and used locally sourced products.
Overall a fantastic hotel and one I am looking forward to returning to as soon as possible.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2008

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Waterhead.What an experience! Everything about the hotel was wonderful, the setting, the rooms,the magnificent views,the food! From the moment we walked through the door ,the staff couldn't do enough for us.We will most certainly be returning In the near future.Thankyou Waterhead!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#12 of 20 in Windermere
Rothay Manor Hotel
Rothay Manor Hotel
#5 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!