“Lovely”

GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, England
“Lovely”
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Fantastic room, friendly staff, had organised Flowers and Champagne for my wife (birthday trip) and it was all in the room.
Well decorated - all very stylish in a modern fashion, which we happen to love.
Food was great, well presented.
It's a short walk to Ambleside proper, and right opposite the jettys for cruises up and down the lake, so very handy.
On the negative side, there were a few small children there on the Friday evening, which detracted from the dining experience a little, but not too much!

• Liked — Smart and up to date, well presented.
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
Cambridge
Reviewed March 18, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Waterhead and let me say that the reviews you read on Trip Advisor about this hotel are true - it is a fantastic place. After having experienced a hellish 10 hour journey from Cambridge due to nightmare weather conditions shutting the M6, it was a joy to be welcomed by an efficient smiling receptionist and then check into a room that you didn't want to leave!. We weren't expecting a lake view (we had a house double room) but got one anyway. Although not the cheapest hotel it is still nice that bottled spring water, the ice bucket, gingerbread supplies and tea and filter coffee are replenished every day, along with maid service every day - and we didn't get interrupted once. (They must even know when you are out!).
The underfloor heating in the bathroom is great, along with wall mounted plasma screen, huge double bed and the general quality of the place that runs throughout the hotel.
Staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the views over the lake at breakfast are superb (especially if you get there early and you'll get a nice bay window table). The food is freshly cooked rather than buffet style and the service was faultless.
For dinner, I'm not usually a fan of eating at your hotel, but we had one of the nicest meals we have had in a long time, along with relaxed atmosphere, good lighting and a table for 2 that was for 2, i.e. not on top of someone else.
As for the location, you can't get better - it is a 10-15 minute stroll into Ambleside, which is much bigger than we thought it was going to be and is a perfect starting point for walks so consequently we only used the car a couple of times in 4 days which is a bonus. And from outside the hotel you can catch a cruise down Lake Windermere, or there is a pub across the road which offers great views of the lake while enjoying a couple of drinks.
A visit to the Lake District is a must anyway, but taken together with this hotel, it makes the experience that much better with a touch of luxury thrown in.
Quite simply, we could not fault this hotel.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Having to go home
1 Thank Dan1Cambridge
lincolnshire, England
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We booked the hotel for a short break before it became too busy at Easter. We booked on line as a result of the other positive reviews on this site and were not disappointed. It is not cheap but is worth it when we looked at booking flights to Europe for the same dates.
The hotel is very easy to find. It is almost on the side of the lake with a road at the front and the back. I was initially concerned about this but we had a room with a lake view and were not disturbed by traffic. We did stay in March and I am not sure if this could be an issue in the summer. There is plenty of parking at the front and back of the hotel, however if you park at the back there are a lot of stairs to navigate to get to reception. The front is best, especially for unloading cases. The hotel is about a mile, by road, from Ambleside and is near the jetty for boat trips and there are several other hotels nearby.
The room was excellent with a large bed and plenty of room, a flat screen telly, DVD etc. It was decorated in a modern style which we liked and was very well maintained, clean and comfortable. The food was excellent and the serving staff attentive and knowledgeable. We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel twice and the meals could not be faulted. They were presented well and the portion size was sufficient for both of us. Overall it was a pleasant stay which we both enjoyed and would return to this hotel or others in the group if we go back to the lakes.
Ambleside is an ideal base for a stay in the lakes, the town has plenty of shops and it is easy to drive to the other lakes and towns in the area. The weather prevented us from doing much walking but, as my friends say, the lakes need plenty of water to keep full.

• Liked — The quality of the hotel
  • Disliked — No resaurants nearby.
1 Thank yorkshireman abroad
England
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Stayed here for my husband's 50th birthday. Everything was as it was described on the website. We had a suite, which was large and luxurious. Service was excellent, and food in the restaurant fantastic. DVD player in the room was a good idea, as it meant we could listen to our own CDs and watch a movie. Good location. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Chelmsford, Essex
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I've just returned from a 2 night break at The Waterhead Hotel in Ambleside and have to say that it was fantastic.

We had a luxury lake view room which had absolutely brilliant views over Lake Windemere. The room itself was great with it's fire, flatscreen tv, tea & coffee making facilities, etc. The bathroom was great, especially the big bath.

The hotel is ideally located, only a 10 minute walk from the centre of Ambleside, where there are plenty of shops, restaurants and cafes - special mention to 'Lucy's on a plate' cafe for it's fantastic array of scones, cakes, etc! The Clock Tower in Ambleside is also the starting place of many walks which I can highly recommend.

The restaurant at Waterhead Hotel is out of this world. Ordinarily I would tend to try different restaurants in the area, but the food was so good that I felt I'd be missing out if I went anywhere else.

My only regret was that we only stayed for two nights and not more!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Frosty79
Biggleswade, Beds
Reviewed February 7, 2008

My wife and made our first ever visit to the Lakes for my birthday treat. Weather was mixed but did enjoy two fine days out of three.
Hotel was very good indeed with friendly staff.
Stayed in room 8 overlooking the lake and the view was superb even when raining. Room was just about 4 star with some nice touches.
Meals were first class although the restaurant was a little lacking in atmosphere.
Very nice hotel for a short break and we would certainly stay there again as access to all lakes is quite good

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank kevin88
Glasgow
Reviewed February 5, 2008

First of all apologies for the late review! (I took my girlfriend to this hotel for 2 nights in October 2006 to celebrate her birthday).
As I've not long registered with Trip Advisor I'm doing some retrospective reviews, and wanted to start with what I regard as the best UK hotel I have ever stayed at.

The rooms are as nice and modern as I've seen, the service is great and the location beside the lake is perfect - I'd requested champagne in the room when we arrived, which it was; staff were friendly and attentive; breakfast was lovely; free dvds available to borrow from reception.

Also great location in terms of being able to walk into Ambleside and choose from the restaurants there. OK, about a 10/15 minute walk in the dark but all part of the trip in my eyes.

Overall, you get what you pay for as it's not exactly cheap. However the English Lake Hotels website offers deals at different times of the year, which make it more affordable.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spartacus_Mills
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Regent Hotel
#4 of 12 in Ambleside
Langdale Hotel and Spa
Langdale Hotel and Spa
#7 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!