“Stay and food were excellent...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
The Drunken Duck Inn
Ranked #23 of 103 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Stay and food were excellent...”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Drunken Duck and had a great time. The rooms are very cosy and the service was very good. The breakfast options are good, Kippers, Haddock, Full English, Pancakes and Bacon, etc. The afternoon tea with fresh scones, cream and jam is a nice touch. The dinner was also excellent... and the atmosphere in the bar with the roaring fire and friendly staff makes for an excellent choice for dinner, drinks, or a longer stay!

Room Tip: Courtyard view room was excellent!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gcmonkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Only visit The Drunken if you expect pub grub which is not typical "pub grub".
This "pub" is exceptional, the food is the best we have ever tasted; there is not a vast amount of food on the plate, but when the quality is that good you clearly do not expect a plateful. The key is to enjoy the flavours and how well the food has been cooked. If you want a lot of food visit somewhere else, I cannot fault out meal.
Well done "Drunken Duck" truly worth the awards you have won.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Fi0206
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found a great deal on the drunken duck website £200 for lunch, afternoon tea 4 course dinner, breakfast and packed lunch. When I rang there were no standard rooms left but I was more than happy to pay an extra £65 for a superior room (room 14). The room was beautiful, spotless and had a great view from the floor to ceiling window. The food was some of the best I have ever had especially the roast beef. The service was second to none. I wish I took the young lady on receptions name as she was so helpful and polite, nothing was any trouble. I can't wait to go back to the duck with all my friends. Fine dining food and service with a relaxed and unstuffy atmosphere. Its perfectly acceptable to ware jeans for dinner PERFECT

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Food = outstanding
Rooms = homely and room service top class
Staff = friendliest most lovely people I've ever experienced at a hotel or bar!
Overall experience 10/10
I wouldn't change a thing the decor and feel of the duck was perfect!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Stemac84
north yorks
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the drunken duck on the Sunday lakes escape this included Sunday lunch, afternoon tea, three course meal, breakfast and a lunch box all for £200! We arrived and had roast beef which is the best roast beef lunch I have ever eaten! We then checked in to our room it was lovely and the little duck shortbread biscuits were a really nice touch. There were no tea and coffee making facilities but the lady on reception said whenever we wanted a tea or coffee we could call down and it would be fetched up to our room! Dinner in the evening was great and the tarte tartin was well worth the wait! In the morning tea and a newspaper was delivered to our room before breakfast! We then went down to breakfast which once again was outstanding! When checking out we were given our packed lunch for the day another lovely touch! I can't wait to go back to the duck one of the nicest places I have ever stayed! Great service, food and atmosphere, I still can't believe it was only £200!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Kate F
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We were a family of five adults and two toddlers who had lunch in the bar. I don t think they were used with catering for children , no child's meals on offer. However the food was delicious , beautifully presented . Could have done with a special lunch menu. Wine starts from £23 , bit expensive for lunch time.
Great welcoming ambience , busy bar area . Outside seating as superb views to the fells .
Excellent lunch , although on the expensive side.

Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We went hear after my partner researched it for what seemed like ages and she was right to do so - it was excellent.

We went at lunch and the atmosphere was brilliant; perfect for the cold weather with the red-hot weather.

I would caution it looks a little expensive on an evening, but had no problems or complaints with the lunch menu - the sandwiches were the best we have had.

A brilliant little spot I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple