“Dreadful experience!”

Ambleside Central
Ambleside Central
Ranked #101 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2013

1. On arrival you check in through...restaurant!
2. Nobody takes you to your room...
3. No tea and coffee facilities in the room even if they're advertised online...Instead they are in the corridor and it's a... vending mashine!!!
4. Walls between rooms must be made of paper, you hear everything incl.flushing the toilet!
5. Noise from the outside as pub next door doesn't let you sleep until 1am!!
6. Finally...a small bowl for tips in the room...unbelievable!

Never again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sylvia063

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I will write a full review and explain all points but for these reasons you shouldn't stay in this hotel and choose from the abundance of other hotels in the area...

1. Very unfriendly staff - that will simply hang up on you if you try and explain a problem

2. No welcome or greeting from staff - No information given to help with stay

3. Noisy waterworks from room above meant we had a completely sleepless night

Here's full information about why you should avoid this hotel.

We have never visited Ambleside before and decided to book a short 1 night break to explore the town and perhaps do a little walking in the lovely lake district. we booked a 1 night stay in the 'Ambleside Central Hotel.'

When we arrived there was no one at the reception and the hotel was completely locked. There was a number on the door asking guests to call if locked up and it also stated that someone would be with us shortly to help check us in. I called the number and was advised to walk a few doors down the road and speak to staff at the ‘Guided Lilly’ bar, who would help me.

We did this and were greeted by a young lad who gave us the keys and verbal instructions on how to reach their car park (which was included in the cost of a night stay). He handed over a piece of paper that he told us to stick in the windscreen and that would act as our parking permit - and a map on the other side if we needed it. We had checked in at just before 4 pm and it was a cloudy afternoon and already getting dark. As we had never been to Ambleside before we followed the verbal instructions and found a space to park that we believed we were legitimately allowed to park in with the use of our hotel 'parking permit'

After the night we returned to our car the next day found we had a parking fine placed on the windscreen.

Confused I quickly called the hotel and was met by the same man i'd spoke to the day before. Upon telling him the situation I received the reply that I should have followed the instructions given to me on arrival and parked in the 'football club' next to the car park. Not once did the young lad who we spoke to give us this instruction and he spoke only of the 'car park' rather than football club. I tried to explain this but the man was very blunt and keep repeating that no responsibility would be taken by the hotel as I should have followed the instructions presented upon arrival. I also tried to explain that i had no formal welcome with no real instruction on arrival but He simply would not listen.

We did this and were greeted by a friendly young lad who gave us the keys, asked us to sign a form and promptly gave us verbal instructions on how to reach the car park, which is a short drive but approximately 3 separate turns down the road. He also handed over a piece of paper that he told us to stick in the windscreen and that would act as our parking permit - and a map on the other side if we needed it. We had checked in at just before 4 pm and it was a cloudy afternoon and already getting dark. as we had never been to Ambleside before we followed the verbal instructions easily and found a space to park.

All this wasn't initially too much of a problem but Upon returning to our car the next day found we had a parking fine for 50 quid placed on the windscreen.

I quickly called the same number I had the day before and was met by the same man i'd spoke to. Upon telling him the situation I received the reply that I should have followed the instructions given to me on arrival and Parked in the 'football club' next to the car park. not once did the young lad who we spoke to give us this instruction and he spoke of the 'car park' rather than football club. I tried to explain this but the man was very blunt and keep repeating that no responsibility would be taken by the hotel as I should have followed the instructions presented upon arrival. I also tried to explain that i had no formal welcome on arrival. He simply would not listen. This lack of reasoning and customer care made me frustrated and I raised my voice (only very slightly) and the man simply hung up with no further word.

Our room was nice enough, cleaned and comfortable. We dropped our bags and headed out for some food. However, when got back around 10 we shortly realised that every time the room above us (we were number 5) flushed their toilet a deafening noise of pipes and water filled our room so loud you couldn't hear the TV or hold a conversation. This happened throughout the night and we had one of the worst night’s sleep we've ever experienced. Being woken up by every flush.

Upon posting our keys into a black box there was still no sign of any staff to report the room issues to. If there had been we would have complained bitterly even before the car parking issues.

avoid this hotel. the staff when you do actuakly manage to speak to someone are unhelpful and rude. they do not deserve your custom.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rkemp130
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were looking forward to our weekend break and Ambleside didn't let us down. However our accommodation did, our room was cold on arrival, the shower was cold and worse of all the noise from what we presumed was the kitchen was almost unbearable, doors banging people shouting or just general chatter went on and on all night, I had very little sleep, my partner faired better only due the fact he is deaf!!! We could also hear the activity in the next bathroom which was unpleasant for us but would have been most embarrassing for our neighbour! I will visit Ambleside again but will not stay in Ambleside Central..... Definitely not worth the money we paid!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue J
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights in Ambleside Central from the 9th-12th November 2012.
We made the mistake of reading the other reviews on here after we booked the room – we’ve definitely learnt the lesson not to do that next time!
We stayed in Room 3. The room itself was faultless, I can only remember a creaky bathroom door as the only aspect of the room that bothered me (and I don’t even remember complaining about this out loud). The bed was large and comfortable with many pillows (not a preference of mine, but 10/10 for presentation). The room was always warm (we actually over-used the heater and it was often too warm) and cosy, and the en-suite bathroom was modern and well-equipped (although I prefer power showers, the water was at least hot, which is desirable at such a cold time of year.)
If you’ve read other reviews of Room 3 on here, you might believe that this more recent review suggests that there is nothing to be concerned about (apart from the title of this review of course).
However, I would like to add to previous reviews by stating that you should choose absolutely any other room than Room 3. I don’t know what the other rooms look like, but frankly they’ll be a better option.
On our first night, two men (we assumed they were staff from the restaurant below but we couldn’t confirm that) were talking very loudly all night, from 11pm onwards. It felt as if they were standing right outside our door – perhaps the walls are just very thin, but I remember checking the time at one point, and they were still up at 5am continuing to prevent me from sleeping.
Thankfully we only experienced this problem for that night and the rest of our stay was highly enjoyable. However, if we return to Ambleside in the future, we will most likely stay elsewhere just in case this problem continues to occur.
P.S. Just to be clear, Ambleside Central is rooms only. The only interaction with staff you should expect is when you pick your keys up (from Restaurant Tarantella).
(Written on my boyfriend on our behalf)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Unfortunately I did not read all of the reviews before I booked and did end up in Room 3. It is terrible, with the view of a brick wall and the shouting of the restaurant staff at 11:30pm it was not good. Also agree that there is no staff on site to deal with noisy neighbours as the walls are paper thin and it took a good bang on the wall to shut them up! You do regularly get woken up by banging doors and pipes so its not a good nights sleep.
On the plus side, its an excellent location, modern and very clean. The bar and restaurant next door are very good. The parking is about a 15 minute walk away but you can park opposite in the loading bay to drop your luggage off.
Also, note to the management, our room was cleaned but the staff did not lock the door afterwards so this was very concerning.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 3.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

First i'll list the positives then the negatives.....

Positives

1, Central location which is ideal for all of the shops, restaurants & bus routes
2, Clean & modern room
3, Complimentary tea/coffee machine
4, Hot Shower

Negatives

1, Very uncomfortable bed. Don't know what the matress was made of but its the most uncomfortable i've slept on.
2, Very noisy. We were woken up every morning by slaming doors, noisy showers, people talking & the road noise was a bit intrusive.
3, There isn't anyone on site to regulate noise either or ask for any help from. At a normal b&b the owners are on hand to sort any issues out.
4, Car park was a good 10 minute walk away & with heavy bags & a pregnant wife it was not ideal.

The only reason I would not stay here again is due to the fact you can stay at a "proper" b&b for about £20/£40 extra on top of the £120 for the x2 nights we stayed for.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Convenient last minute booking for 2 nights in the Lakes - and at a reasonable price. Large double room with ensuite shower room on second floor (room 5) overlooking the street. Double glazed so very little traffic noise. Warm, clean and comfortable. Some of the reviews suggested I was in for a terrible time and very little sleep, and so I took earplugs just to be on the safe side. However, I was not really aware of other guests, except when neighbours in room 4 used their shower or flushed their toilet, and the occasional voice in the hallway.
Very central location and free parking provided about 10 minutes walk away. Check in was friendly and easy in the restaurant downstairs and we used the loading bays on the other side of the street to unload and load our luggage. No breakfast is provided, but this is not a problem given the number of cafes and coffee shops in Ambleside, mostly open from 9am. Only a few seem to open at 8am, so check if you are planning an early start. Free tokens are provided for the well-stocked hot drink machine on each landing. It was good to simply come and go as we pleased and not to be bound by fixed meal times.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple