“Meal for four”

Spice of Bengal
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The newly refurbished Spice of Bengal is a family run Indian restaurant and takeaway providing exciting and exotic fine Indian cuisine in the heart of scenic Ambleside. In 1986 our late father opened the Passage of India in Keswick, one of the first Indian restaurants in the lake district. A decade later we opened the Spice of Bengal in 1994 and we have continued his commitment to quality cuisine based on our Bangladeshi heritage and giving outstanding customer service.All dishes are prepared with the utmost care in the Spice of Bengal kitchen, using only the finest fresh ingredients and our own special combination of spices. Just like our dishes, our newly refurbished restaurant fuses traditional with modern surroundings, giving a spacious, friendly dining environment.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Last time came to Ambleside had a really poor Indian meal at the other Indian Restaurant in town ( no need to name just look on adviser) so was slightly apprehensive about going for a curry but my wife really fancied one, well we weren't disappointed, food was tasty and served hot , place was clean , service was good also good value for money, room was slightly bland in decor but would still definitely go again.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We enjoyed our meal, which was just a typical Bangladeshi, the menu just the same as any other really. My wife thought her curry was too oily, which again, isn't untypical. Service was good and was nice and warm inside on what was a very cold night outside. Background music was not too loud, so yuo didnt find yourself shouting over it. We'd go back, it's the nicest Indian I've been to in the vicinity, but it's hard to find something exceptional in the Lake District in my experience.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Took my friend here while on holiday in the Lakes for his first ever curry. Neither he or the rest of the party were disappointed. Food was good quality, service was good and price was reasonable (for the Lakes) I would return!

2  Thank idr1892
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I Came in with my husbun nd my self. I was very satisfyied with the customer service of two young beautiful men's. They were very pleasant nd charming. Wel dressed! The food was excellent. Love the skills they used . I absoultley would come here again just for the two lovely mens.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The food here was ok, nothing to complain about but also nothing to get excited about. 5 of us had 2 courses, all different so we had a pretty big selection from the menu and we all agreed. The service was poor, it seemed as if all the staff were new and they were running round, dropping cutlery and trays, bringing drinks to the table them just asking you to take your own from the tray to speed up service!

I wouldn't rush back