“Complete Peace”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pullwood Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Pullwood Bay
Essex
“Complete Peace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in the apartment "Fairfield" during one of those very hot weeks at the beginning of July and it was glorious. Most schools had not broken up, only half the apartments were occupied and whole the place was so peaceful we did not feel the need to venture very far at all.

I wandered down to the jetty in the mornings with a cup of coffee and listened to the silence, only broken by the cheeping of new ducklings. It is on the quiet side of the lake so the jetty is safe and great for anyone with canoes/ kayaks/dinghys and even has steps into the water for swimmers, which in the hot weather was marvellous.

Fairfield is one of the less expensive apartments, smaller & no lake view, but for the amount of time we spent in it we didn't need a lake view or the space. Might be different when the Lake District weather is doing its worst but it does have 3 TVs. It has a lounge/kitchen/dining area all in one room which is a bit of a squeeze and a double (or twin) bedroom with en suite also on this level. Upstairs is another double bedroom and separate bathroom. This bedroom got fiendishly hot and had a tiny window that only a giant could reach to open. A fan was provided but it had little effect on the room temperature. But it was hot in the Lakes for once so I am not going to complain about that.

We loved the place so much we wanted to stay another few days and made the management an offer as the apartment was empty the following week but they turned it down in case someone else booked and paid full price at the last minute - but they didn't so their loss.

Oh yes...the major stores deliver there so don't waste your time in the supermarkets - shop online & get it delivered and make the most of your precious holiday time.

One note of caution - there are a lot of geese on the lake that take up residence on the lawns. Beware if you don't like them. If you catch them unawares you can set off a goose stampede. They have honking sessions too. Didn't bother me but it might upset others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just spent a week here- on the whole it was pretty good for the price. Nicely arranged, reasonably clean (some of the kitchen things were a bit sticky..), comfortable furniture, decent quality linen and a good welcome pack (toilet roll, brew kit, kitchen roll, cling film and foil as well as the towels, although the much-trumpeted pint of milk never materialised).
All of the rooms upstairs have sloping ceilings and the bathroom is a masterpiece of planning- it really couldn't be smaller! Nothing wrong with this, but if you are very tall you may well find it to be rather uncomfortable for more than a couple of nights.
Yes there is the road noise, but frankly the clue is in the name- it's a Gatehouse! We didn't really find this to be much of an inconvenience. Neither did we really notice the builders next door- maybe they've finished the really noisy bit now. The renovation is clearly going to take quite a bit more time this year- looked like they were totally gutting the building when we were there.
Mobile reception is pretty iffy (you can just about get it if you hang out of the front window) and there aren't a massive number of TV channels, but why come to the Lakes to watch telly anyway?
There was quite a bit of minor damage, little things really, but we found a couple of the appliances (stereo and extractor fan) didn't work which was a little 'hmmmm' given the size of the damage deposit required. Nothing which spoiled our holiday though.
The really good thing was the fact that the estate is private; so there was ample room to take our daughter for a bit of a walk in the mornings without worrying about traffic or dogs- this is really good for a bit of relaxing with small children with very little effort! The woods and lakeshore are lovely and well-kept.
We enjoyed our stay here and plan to book another of the the cottages for our holiday next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Flintshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We booked in at Fairfield apartment in the main building which stands in a gorgeous setting on the Lakeside. We had rooms looking out over the front of the grounds (Lake at the back). The apartment was clean & the kitchen & bathroom were kitted out to a very high spec. All kitchen appliances needed were provided, as was dishwasher powder, washing up powder & complimentary tea, coffee, milk & sugar. I think the cleaners should have a better go in places but although I'm a bit OCD at home I wasn't there to nit pick. The bath in the upstairs bathroom was fab & the shower had water coming out of so many different shower heads lol. There was a built in radio in the upstairs bedroom & bathroom. The lighting was very high tech & there was under floor heating but being June we didn't need it on. The grounds are very well kept, so much so that there was work being done whilst we were there. I understand that there is probably no perfect time to do maintenance work but I didn't appreciate the cherry picker firing up at 8.30am for the decorator to paint the exterior woodwork! So I would ask next time what work if any is being done as we were not warned. The owner/manager who I couldn't even tell you her name was friendly enough but didn't really seem interested in us or how our stay was. My partner & I arrived on the Friday & had a lovely weekend site seeing until Monday when we brought the kids up until the following Friday (age 4 years & 20 months). The apartment was safe enough for a toddler but we took a stair gate. A high chair & travel cot was provided. The grounds are nice to have a stroll around & to have a picnic & feed the ducks but other than that if you go with kids I wouldn't say it's a place to stay at all day - you would have to go & explore the surrounding areas. For couples I would recommend Sheila's cottage for a meal - delicious! My partner took me to the cinema but not like an Odeon, more like a picture house with a bar & restaurant. These were both in Ambleside & we used a local taxi firm called Ambleside Taxi Service which were on time & friendly. With the kids we went to the Beatrix Potter place which was nice but I wouldn't have paid £17 if I knew what it was like; boring & not interactive. As a family we are not adventure seekers & definitely not into water sports but would love to visit the Lake District again and would love to stay at the Boathouse at Pullwood Bay as from the outside it looked stunning & had gorgeous views of the Lake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carrian
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were greeted by Sarah the manager on arrival and shown to our apartment. We stayed in bowfell with our baby twins and found the accommodation to be a home from home and pullwood had even organised a cot for us. The setting and grounds are beautiful, right on the edge of windermere. Very peaceful and tranquil. The apartment was beautiful with views of the lake second to none. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends and family and I'm sure we will visit again in the near future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dannywillygilly
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Cottage next door being totally renovated so very noisy. Since I am heavy pregnant and come here to get some rest not impressed at all. If you are booked in any of the cottages around the enterence to pullwood bay beware.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank lancashirelass33
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

As my subject says, you feel like occupying space in the nature's lap. This estate is amazing, away from the commercial side, yet nearby to drive.

We stayed at Blencathra (2 bed) apartment. It's got one master bedroom facing the lakeside and one secondary one which is way small and does not faces lakeside. Small bedroom has valux (roof windows) windows. One of them was n't closing , and I also did not find towels, toilet rolls in the bathrooms. Once I notified the manager, towels were delivered immediately. However, roof window and toilet rolls were still not looked into. It would have been great if they had checked all the things before our check-in but again I did not let these things spoil my visit.

Kitchen has all the necessary appliances/utensils/cutlery that you may need during your stay. This property has an open plan kitchen, with a large lounge , 5 seater sofas and a dvd/blu-ray, iPod docking station and 50" tv . The lounge has large bay window over looking lawns and lake side adding real value to the lakeside apartments.

I want to caution you that you should think about it if you will be driving here. Public transportation may not be good idea to stay at this place.

Staff is amazing, the manager, sara was really warm. We arrived around 3/4 PM and she was waiting to see us check-in and then left for her weekend.

It's well worth the price we paid, and was quiet, well located and relaxing without much trouble, so definitely 4 stars!

Go for early morning photography/ walks, you will love it! I really liked the peaceful walk in the morning, it's just amazing feel to be occupied in the peaceful surroundings.

I couldn't find any faults that may have spoiled my visit, hence 5 stars!

Room Tip: Go for lakeside ones part of the estate (it's one big property with attached aparts). If you a...