“Excellent food and great price”
Review of Dodds Restaurant

Dodds Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 122 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Visited for a second time just into the new year. Restaurant offers well presented and well produced Italian food. Excellent place for families (gets busy from evening service very quickly). We had one adult pizza, the fish stew and two child's pizzas along with a dessert and they were all excellent. including drinks for all and other sundries the bill was just over £30! A bargain for the lakes! Good and fast service, which is great for those with restless and hungry toddlers (but the key being we never felt rushed). All round good experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,308)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Went here New Year's Eve. We had an excellent meal my husband could not praise the taste and tenderness of the rib eye steak too highly it was fab. I had the duck off the special and this was very good too. I would recommend this place to anyone. They do from pizza to steak good variety to suit all at reasonable prices. The only down side is you can not pre book a table it is on a first come basis. Thanks for another great meal we will be back when we next visit Ambleside.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We did not make a booking and it was full when we arrived but we were seated within 30 minutes. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. Waiting staff were attentive and friendly. The food was amazing! I would highly recommend eating here :)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

After Dodds was recommended to us, we decided to eat here while staying in the Lakes over Christmas and New Year. The rain was torrential, so while myself and my sister went in to book a table, our partners parked the car.

Obviously a popular time of year, the restaurant was really busy (usually a good sign!) so we asked for a table for 4 and were told by the waitress that there would be a 50 minute wait, which was absolutely fine as we were in no rush and we had heard good things.
We told the waitress that the waiting time was fine and were happy to wait, to which she replied "sorry there is no room to wait here and the bar is full." met with a confused look from us, we asked if we could put our names down and come back in 45 minutes, to which she responded a simple "no". Obviously very confused as to why we were being turned away the waitress left us stood there wondering what to do.

When she came back, a couple had walked in behind us. She immediately walked up to them and asked could she help "a table for two please".... "no problem, it will be a 40 minute wait though?", they responded saying this was fine, and to my amazement, the waitress then said "if you would like to wait at the bar" ??????????????!!!!!!!!
Then noticing our shock, she asked us what we wanted to do and if we were going to come back later when "it might be a bit quieter" ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I do appreciate that it was busy, and that we may have been waiting. But what I dont understand is why she had to be rude and then allow another couple (who definitely hadn't booked!) to wait for a table and take up such valuable space at the bar?

I was just annoyed and walked out, clearly my money wasn't worth taking. And I wont be returning.

Luckily we found a lovely restaurant around the corner, Lucy's on a Plate, fantastic service, nice relaxed atmosphere and excellent food. So it worked out for the better anyway.

2  Thank Danielle R
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We ate here this evening with our two children. Everything we ate was very tasty, very fresh and very well prepared. The service was very friendly and attentive. There was a very happy atmosphere. Highly recommended.