“Outstanding food, great service, excellent prices” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Matthew's Bistro

Matthew's Bistro
Ranked #11 of 117 Restaurants in Ambleside
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Yorkshire, UK
“Outstanding food, great service, excellent prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Matthew's is the kind of place I would recommend to anyone looking for a great dinner with excellent service. The portions are huge and tasty - the lamb and the wild boar were full of flavour and perfectly cooked. Wine list is good. Service was spot on as was the price.

I wish I lived close enough to eat here everytime I want to dine out, then again I am not sure my waistline could take it!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good food and good value, would recommend! We've been a few times as regular visitors to Ambleside and standard of food is always excellent.

Visited March 2013
St. Neots, United Kingdom
“Lovely food at Matthews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Always eat here when in The Lakes. Lovely food and great manager who always welcomes customers. Great place to visit

Visited March 2013
Trafford, United Kingdom
“2nd Visit - and not disappointed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

For our second visit we purposefully chose different meals from last time. The food was excellent again and really is great value. Maybe next time we might finish off the generous portions. Service was very good and we will definitely be returning. My only negative comment, and its really quite minor, is about the chairs, which can be a little uncomfortable towards the end of the meal, particularly after a hard day's walking. Overall, this is a very good choice, with a clear enthusiasm from all who work there for you to enjoy your meal and be happy to come back.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome on a cold evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I went here with my husband on Monday 11th March 2013. We were warmly welcomed by the waiter who was very pleasant and friendly. We ordered from the early evening menu which is available until 19:00 hours. I had brie to start then beef bourguignon, my husband had devilled mushrooms and cumberland sausage. We both throughly enjoyed our meal, the portion sizes were generous and the mains were served with sessional vegetables which were cooked to perfection. I would have loved to have tried the desserts but I was so full and couldn't manage another bite. In summary, good food, service, value and atmosphere, highly recommended.